Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

Hi, I rarely post on this site but want to share my views with you. Simply some people have no manners but not having them can have real consequnces.

This year we sailed on the Equinox out of venice. Before going I damaged ligaments in my left foot so walking was a bit of a problem. On the first night I took the elevator to go up 1 floor as my foot was very sore. It didin't stop at the floor I wanted and a man from the rear pushed his way through to where the buttons where and pressed one. He also stood on my already damaged foot, no apology - nothing, when I managed to get out I almost fainted because of the pain and realised there was blood everywhere, his training shoes has ripped the nail of my big toe 1/2 off - blood everwhere! Result, one extreemly swollen foot, toe changed colour to black, missed out on seeing Venice the 2nd day and Dubrovnik the 3rd. Bought antibiotice in Mykonos to prevent infection. Holiday almost ruined - but full use of the free drinks package made me numb from the waist down!

I'm applying the same laws of other modes of transportation to elevators on cruise ships. Maybe I'm stretching, but I don't think so.

Anyway, here's the current law:

Seats

T203.10.1 clarifies the scoping requirements for the number and location of priority seats for passengers with disabilities on vehicles operated in fixed route systems. At least two seats must be designated as priority seats for passengers with disabilities. The seats must be located as near as practicable to a doorway that is used for both boarding and alighting.

It's the doorway proximity that I focus on.

As far as right of way in hallways and the Promenade, I found this in an article regarding service dogs, but it's not talking about individuals with dogs, but pedestrians and wheelchairs or disable people:

42-4-808. Drivers and pedestrians, other than persons in wheelchairs, to yield to persons with disabilities.

(1) Any pedestrian, other than a person in a wheelchair, or any driver of a vehicle who approaches a person who has an obviously apparent disability of blindness, deafness, or mobility impairment shall immediately come to a full stop and take such precautions before proceeding as are necessary to avoid an accident or injury to said person. A disability shall be deemed to be obviously apparent if, by way of example and without limitation, the person is using a cane or crutches, is assisted by an assistance dog, as defined in section 24-34-803 (7), C.R.S., is being assisted by another person, is in a wheelchair, or is walking with an obvious physical impairment. Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic offense.

Of course, there's no one around to ticket someone with the class A traffic offense on a cruise ship, so as you already stated: we should practice common sense and courtesy.

I think calling an elevator a mode of transportation is indeed a stretch, and a considerable one IMHO. Even if it were, and even if it did fall under US laws which is doubtful, I think stretching it to require some kind of priority boarding or space is impractical in the extreme. That said, we agree that common sense and courtesy should prevail. It's a shame we would even need to create laws like that - it should be second nature.

Hi, I rarely post on this site but want to share my views with you. Simply some people have no manners but not having them can have real consequnces.

This year we sailed on the Equinox out of venice. Before going I damaged ligaments in my left foot so walking was a bit of a problem. On the first night I took the elevator to go up 1 floor as my foot was very sore. It didin't stop at the floor I wanted and a man from the rear pushed his way through to where the buttons where and pressed one. He also stood on my already damaged foot, no apology - nothing, when I managed to get out I almost fainted because of the pain and realised there was blood everywhere, his training shoes has ripped the nail of my big toe 1/2 off - blood everwhere! Result, one extreemly swollen foot, toe changed colour to black, missed out on seeing Venice the 2nd day and Dubrovnik the 3rd. Bought antibiotice in Mykonos to prevent infection. Holiday almost ruined - but full use of the free drinks package made me numb from the waist down!

I think this was awful...so sorry this happened to you,.Too many folks just bull ahead without regard for others or awareness of their surroundings. Laws being debated are one thing, but etiquette, politeness, common sense and civility should always be observed. No one is entitled to "rude" behaviorl

Nothing surprising or unusual here as I don't really see any difference between elevator behavior on cruise ships and elevator behavior in buildings on land.

Most people are polite and considerate of others, but there are always some who are not.

If there are kids riding the elevators, we can expect that there will be one who pushes all the buttons or rides up and down just for entertainment.

Nothing surprising or unusual here as I don't really see any difference between elevator behavior on cruise ships and elevator behavior in buildings on land.

Most people are polite and considerate of others, but there are always some who are not.

If there are kids riding the elevators, we can expect that there will be one who pushes all the buttons or rides up and down just for entertainment.

And adults somehow never press all of the buttons...? Please.

That is crazy! So sorry and those ports are so walking intensive.

• 2 years later...

WHEN those of us with canes, walkers, wheel chairs or scooters get onto an elevator that is empty (or close to empty) I suggest you do NOT go to the back of the elevator! People CAN walk around you. It is much easier for everyone when you need to exit. More than once I have been wheeled onto an empty elevator and pushed all the way to the back by others. This also applies to days when I use a walker. Nothing worse than trying to get the attention of everyone in a packed elevator when you reach your deck.

There are times when I can get by with a cane. I have yet to go a single day on a cruise without having my cane kicked out from under me by people pushing their way onto the elevators.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and have balance issues. My husband stands with me until I get onto an elevator and then he takes the stairs if it is a busy elevator usage time. I am used to waiting for things. He is very patient except for one time every cruise....the Life Boat Drill.

I use my cane or small 3 wheel walker most times for this because we know it will be crowded, and we head out to the drill at least 15-30 minutes early. We often wait 15 minutes or more for one spot on an elevator. On our last cruise (Anthem 9/14/2017) our cabin was on deck 6. Our muster station was on deck 5. Countless elevators stopped and not a single person offered to exit and continue down the one or two flights of stairs to their muster station on decks 5 or 4 so that I could get on.

Of course by the time we got there, no seats were available and again, not a SINGLE person offered their seat. I place more blame on Royal Caribbean staff for this, especially when several employees excused themselves to get around me. And again on their way back.

Common sense like "let people out before you get on" and "wait until the door closes before you push the up or down button again" is apparently not so.

Personally as a full time wheelchair user I love when elevator lines consist of mostly people who walk just fine and acknowledge they are only going down ONE DECK yet take 10min waiting for an elevator. As a kid I learned how to bump myself down stairs in my chair and when I see a long line I'll do just that. It's amusing when I announce "screw the line, I'm taking the stairs" then DO IT how many people are shocked thinking I was joking. Also fun to jokingly say "room for one more?" when it's full an wheel rather quickly towards the packed elevator an stop just short of the doors an say I'll take the next one.

You can’t judge eveyone’s physical abilities by the walking device they are using. I just had knee replacement surgery three months ago and could only make steps like a baby with both feet on every step to go up or down for at least the past two years. I didn’t need a walker or cane but it sure hurt to go up and down steps. I only used a walker for two days after surgery and a cane for a week. I can finally go up steps alternating feet, but down is much harder. It still hurts a lot to go down alternating feet. One flight of stairs can be exhausting. I feel bad for people who have a permanent or temporary disability. But diagnosing that should be left to medical professionals and not judged on the spot by cruisemates.

You can’t judge eveyone’s physical abilities by the walking device they are using. I just had knee replacement surgery three months ago and could only make steps like a baby with both feet on every step to go up or down for at least the past two years. I didn’t need a walker or cane but it sure hurt to go up and down steps. I only used a walker for two days after surgery and a cane for a week. I can finally go up steps alternating feet, but down is much harder. It still hurts a lot to go down alternating feet. One flight of stairs can be exhausting. I feel bad for people who have a permanent or temporary disability. But diagnosing that should be left to medical professionals and not judged on the spot by cruisemates.

I haven't reached the point of needing surgery but I totally hear what you are saying. You never know why someone might need an elevator.

Agree with you & understand what you have been going through.. I had my hip replaced several years ago & still am not walking correctly without using my cane.. A couple of months ago the Dr. decided to send me for more Physical therapy & I've just completed that.. Now will only use the cane when I have to walk long distances as seem to tire easily.. After my hip replacement I asked the Dr. if I could get a temporary Handicapped parking permit & his answer to me was "No! you need a permanent handicapped permit" I was devastated as assumed that I would be able to walk perfectly, but at least this round of therapy has helped some..What I did not know was that because of scoliosis I will always have a limp especially when I'm tired, so will have to take my cane when we cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

My pet hate is people, especially younger ones, who go down one deck. On the Eclipse last week, Mum, Dad, 4 children, perhaps 10 to 16, pushed their way when the list arrived and went from 14 (buffet) to 12. Loads of people waiting, including some with mobility issues, but it didn't stop them I was already in the lift and stepped outside to let people out, so saw the situation and also which which deck they got off.

I was going from 15 to 4.

My pet hate is people, especially younger ones, who go down one deck. On the Eclipse last week, Mum, Dad, 4 children, perhaps 10 to 16, pushed their way when the list arrived and went from 14 (buffet) to 12. Loads of people waiting, including some with mobility issues, but it didn't stop them I was already in the lift and stepped outside to let people out, so saw the situation and also which which deck they got off.

As far as I know, those lifts are installed as a public convenience, for (hopefully polite and considerate) use by any passenger. I like to think that everyone who uses the lift does so because it is there for them to use, for any reason that they like. It's impossible for me to tell just by looking whether another passenger actually "needs" the lift, and I would hate to judge someone wrongly.

My wife has issues with walking down the stairs only. You would never know that by looking at her or watching her go up the stairs. So she takes the elevator going down all the time, even when it's only one deck down. When I'm by myself I prefer taking the stairs up and down no matter how many floors.

As far as I know, those lifts are installed as a public convenience, for (hopefully polite and considerate) use by any passenger. I like to think that everyone who uses the lift does so because it is there for them to use, for any reason that they like. It's impossible for me to tell just by looking whether another passenger actually "needs" the lift, and I would hate to judge someone wrongly.

I agree with this. The lifts are for anyone to use. I personally don't like lifts, so will often take the stairs instead.

I do wonder about the people who take the lift to go up/down 1 floor. But you can't tell by just looking at someone if they have issues with stairs. My travelling companion has balance issues which can come and go determine how well they are able to cope with the stairs. Especially going down.

Though I have seen many people not move to the back of the lift or barge on while someone else is trying to get off. I really don't see what the rush is if your on a cruise ship🤔

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Funny, I must have missed the sign that says "For Multiple Deck Travel Only".

The elevators are provided for everyone, regardless of how many decks they have to travel. Perhaps they should have an elevator operator who can screen people to determine if they should be allowed on or not.