Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

As we can all see, we all have our own rules for the elevator. I think we can clearly take from this that being polite and kind is a great start. We can all agree that we cannot say 100% who requires the use if the elevator and who does not other than our own conditions. So it really starts with us. If you need to use the elevator, please do. If you just want to use it, be kind and polite. And if you have no need for the elevator, use the stairs.

We are all on vacation to have a good time. We can all help make this happen by treating others as we would like to be treated. Sure there will be jerks and trolls, but take pride in knowing you are making an effort and know that if you hold that elevator for someone or let someone board before you, it will most likely make them happier and hopefully yourself included.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

As we say in the South, "Amen!" Absolutely. Thank you.

Edited by karensc

Your mistake was taking matters into your own hands.

Sorry, but no passenger has the right to "reserve" an elevator.

You should have asked a crew/officer to assist you and your mother. They are there to help mobility restricted passengers.

My 2 Cents

Excellent point. In today's world courtesy and politeness can never be assumed:rolleyes:

Politeness indicates one would reserve assistance. I was raised to help not be a jerk. AND some of the worse offenders are the Senior Circuit. I'm not far away but I hope I don't become the "rude seniors" that we currently see. Pathetic isn't it?

I was on three cruises earlier this year, two RCCL and one HAL. All from Sydney to NZ, New Caledonia, and then on to Seattle.

I compared notes with another woman on the elevetor late in the HAL cruise, wanting to make sure I wasn't just cranky, and she agreed the NZ/Aussie men were the WORST for impatience and rudeness. I experienced some jaw-dropping behavior on elevators, through swinging doors, and geting on/off tour vans with these guys.

Both sexes from NZ act like they have never been on an elevator before. We heard unending complaints about having to actually stop at other floors before they got to "their" floor. And, forget about anyone moving to the back of the elevator; not happening. I told my husband after the Sydney/NZ cruise that I think they all came from places that didn't have elevators!!

Bad elevator etiquette has long been a pet peeve of mine. I will bodily block people from getting on if there is a scooter or walker involved with another passenger. We have very elderly parents with mobility issues, and it's a sore point with us.

If we are in the front of the elevator and someone tries to squeeze on, my husband looks at them (he has a very intimidating look on his face just naturally, poor dear) and tells them there is NO more room!

He was on an elevator on one embarkation day when a 12 year old was pushing the close button every time we got to a floor, so the poor waiting people couldn't get on, and he could get to the buffet faster. Finally, after 2 floors my husband leaned down, and calmly told him, "son, most people push that close button AFTER people get on the elevator". He stopped doing it.

I can assure you in NZ we have elevators. They are in special buildings that no-one goes in to because they are worried about earthquakes, and snakes, and spiders, and ... and ...

well look, two story buildings are still a novelty here alright!?

Sorry. not going to read all of these pages.

Here's the common (joke that that word may be) rule. Let everyone off first, then board. If you're on and it's your floor and you're in the back you say 'Excuse me this is our floor'.

If they don't move, and your in a scooter or wheelchair, then ram them.

If your on an intermediate floor, as in waiting on 3 for an up on a day when the gangway is on 2, you just have to wait for an opening.

I can assure you in NZ we have elevators. They are in special buildings that no-one goes in to because they are worried about earthquakes, and snakes, and spiders, and ... and ...

well look, two story buildings are still a novelty here alright!?

HA! I actually asked my husband on one of our Aus/NZ cruises if they had buildings over 2 stories tall because of the rather odd elevator behavior. :D

HA! I actually asked my husband on one of our Aus/NZ cruises if they had buildings over 2 stories tall because of the rather odd elevator behavior. :D

You also have to remember that over here four people in an elevator is overcrowded and five cars on the road = rush hour

You also have to remember that over here four people in an elevator is overcrowded and five cars on the road = rush hour

Ahhhh, that explains why they looked so stressed when there were more people getting on, and they were supposed to move back (which most of them didn't).

After about 3 days, however, everyone got the hang of it. Even the complaining about stopping at other floors slowed down. It was just exasperated sighs after few days.

Edited by pcur

Really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread. I never realised there were so many issues involved in taking a lift! I can fully understand the frustrations some people must feel.

I'm blessed with very good health and have always used the stairs when I've cruised. But, I'm taking my 83 year old mother on her first ever cruise on the Eclipse next year so I'll be using the lifts for the first time. Thank you to all who have contributed, I now have a good idea what expect!!!!!

Sorry

Not a lecture, my observation of bad behaviours on elevators.

You can not take on the job of elevator captain on the busiest time of the cruise

Ps having been in exactly the same position 25 years ago with a wheel chair parent who needed assit off, ask.

good lord, 25 years ago was a lifetime ago. Things are different...everywhere.

we approach things differently. I am polite and kind when the situation calls for it (Actually won a company award last year for my positive and energetic spirit) but also have no problem helping my mom or any disabled person to get on and off an elevator.

I guess will bring an official badge as "captain of the elevator" great idea...hoping that will help :D

moving on with my life an next cruise....

Edited by H2OH!

Really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread. I never realised there were so many issues involved in taking a lift! I can fully understand the frustrations some people must feel.

I'm blessed with very good health and have always used the stairs when I've cruised. But, I'm taking my 83 year old mother on her first ever cruise on the Eclipse next year so I'll be using the lifts for the first time. Thank you to all who have contributed, I now have a good idea what expect!!!!!

most people are wonderful, kind and gracious. it is that one group you can run into (anywhere not just a cruise ship) that can really change you mood:D. just dont be in a hurry to go anywhere...not worth the stress.

I remember in my 20's having a guy in his 80's beat me up the slopes of Mt.Monadnock(a little over 3000ft.)He beat me on the way down as well! A very embarrassing day to say the least. Later found out he climbed it every month

Here's what you do. Just as the elevator (lift) door opens pretend to sneeze into your hand. Then wipe your hand on the front of your shirt. Step into the elevator (lift) and you're almost certain to have plenty of room. In fact some folks may even get off the elevator (lift) just to ensure you have a nice roomy ride.

good lord, 25 years ago was a lifetime ago. Things are different...everywhere.

we approach things differently. I am polite and kind when the situation calls for it (Actually won a company award last year for my positive and energetic spirit) but also have no problem helping my mom or any disabled person to get on and off an elevator.

I guess will bring an official badge as "captain of the elevator" great idea...hoping that will help :D

moving on with my life an next cruise....

It may be the only area of cruises that has not changed.... even after 25 years.... and I knew about it on our first cruise before it was a mainstream vacation choice :rolleyes:

Here's some of "X" mobility page:

Every ship in the Celebrity fleet was designed with your every need in mind. You'll find wide, spacious corridors, to allow 180° turns for wheelchairs. Most decks are accessible through automatic doors, and all public rooms feature entrances with gradual inclines.

We provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation only.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-mobile-disabilities?tab=onboard_mobility_disabilities_tab/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-mobile-disabilities%3Fsubtab%3Dtrue

No worriies... but I bet next time you'll ask. :D

If you don't want to, here's the badge you mentioned. Just print it out :D:D

img_8400_elevator-police-battlefield-4-highlights-funny-moments.jpg

Clearly you do not have a fear of heights.

I will not go to the back, I am sure you do not want me parting with my previous meal suddenly - but I do stand to the side Sometimes there are reasons for behaviour so tolerance is the best virtue to pack when cruising

I'm with you. My fear of heights is getting worse as I get older. :( I will not step on that glass at the back of the elevator, or the glass floor at the top of the CN Tower. What I do is explain to those getting on and everyone so far has been understanding.

As for the original post of letting people out of the elevator first - it's only common sense to let the people out first. Another thing lacking in society today along with manners.

Ahhhh, that explains why they looked so stressed when there were more people getting on, and they were supposed to move back (which most of them didn't).

After about 3 days, however, everyone got the hang of it. Even the complaining about stopping at other floors slowed down. It was just exasperated sighs after few days.

However, I have to say that when in NZ we found the people to be exceptionally helpful and friendly. One woman actually stopped her car and offered to drive us to the beach!! Great people.

most people are wonderful, kind and gracious. it is that one group you can run into (anywhere not just a cruise ship) that can really change you mood:D. just dont be in a hurry to go anywhere...not worth the stress.

Exactly. That's why I cruise so I don't have to be anywhere.

My 81 year old mom uses a scooter for long distances (on oxygen for COPD) and has multiple other health issues. For the most part (think 80/20 rule) people are courteous and step aside to allow us on the elevator. We try to use the elevators during off times since it gets crazy near feeding time at the zoo (mostly lunch and dinner). It takes a little extra planning but has been well worth it to ease her concerns and frustrations....and I think we saved a few toes along the way.

Then there is disembarkation....all bets are off, last man standing survives. I always book a late flight when traveling with mom as to avoid the craziness. Little did I know mean and crazy people stay on the ship later too...lol.

on our last cruise I was able to grab an empty elevator when everyone got off to head to breakfast. Well it began to fill as it went two flights down. I asked this large group boarding to save space for my mom, that she was disabled and on a scooter. Picture the florida based elderly group with matching t-shirts..well, this crabby old man with a cane pushed me aside as his gang entered the elevator. The verbal insults were ridiculous...

Needless to say when we arrived to the floor where my mom was, she was greeted with a relatively full elevator. She was so upset (almost in tears) when the rude gang told her not to get on...by this point i was one angry woman!! I told my mom they will to move their feet as soon as you start to move...I told her to ram them if she has too...low and behold as she scooted into the elevator they parted like the damn sea. As we descended to the library area where we wanted to wait until 930-945 am, the mouthy old man kept at it...I am not one to hold my toungue so it was an interesting ride.

When I arrived home some CC friends were posting on CC about the rude elderly passengers on our cruise...it became one of those legendary cc threads :D. Mom and I still laugh at how the group made room for us:o

I really wish disabled passengers had dedicated elevators with special key card access.

Well, I leave in 2.5 weeks for Reflection with 2 scooter users in tow...my mom and my sister who has MS...I am sure the last day will be a blast;)

PS watch your toes.

Amy - your post made me realize how important it is to be patient and make room for everyone. There are times when my hubby and I have ran by scooters to get around because WE were late for something. I will be more respectful of those that need assistance. My Mom was diagnosed with COPD this year and I totally understand how your Mom must feel. Someday that might be me and I would want the respect we all deserve.

Caribbean Princess last year, DW, another lady, and I got on an empty elevator deck 5, the doors open deck 6, twenty two(I counted) Japanese Senor Citizens crowd onto the elevator, we are packed like sardines. DW, lady, and I all smile. The large group gets off deck 8, we continue, doors close, we all laugh. DW states, "I bet you felt tall there!" I'm 5'8", I'm sure it was the first time ever I was in a group of twenty adults where I was the tallest by a couple inches.

I love when the last two or three squeeze in and the bell that informs you that the elevator is over the weight limit sounds. It's especially funny if it happens to be woman who sets it off. They usually turn beet red.

Edited by Iamcruzin

At the risk of getting flamed those who are requiring mobility scooters to get around should in my view take second dibs on lifts and elevators. These scooters take up the room of about 4 people. One wonders how they fit into the fit for travel category as far as the contract goes. I guess that if we are ever in another Concordia situation these infirmed become colaterral damage. My experience of mobility scooter riders in mall and on the streets are that in the main they are inconsiderate and oblivious to the more mobile persons around them . They expect to have an absolute rite of passage wherever they go. I will now put on my flameproof suit and carry a fire extinguisher

At the risk of getting flamed those who are requiring mobility scooters to get around should in my view take second dibs on lifts and elevators. These scooters take up the room of about 4 people. One wonders how they fit into the fit for travel category as far as the contract goes. I guess that if we are ever in another Concordia situation these infirmed become colaterral damage. My experience of mobility scooter riders in mall and on the streets are that in the main they are inconsiderate and oblivious to the more mobile persons around them . They expect to have an absolute rite of passage wherever they go. I will now put on my flameproof suit and carry a fire extinguisher

Yes; you will need that suit and extinguisher. I am getting out of the way!

"Colatteral Damage" :eek: Yikes!

Lol, clearly you have not been unfortunate enough to ever have any sort of a health issue that has affected your mobility.

Or had to watch a loved one struggle thru

Even getting around on crutches (short term) can really WAKE ONE UP to what others may have to deal with on a CONTINUAL day to day basis

This world truly is designed for the young & healthy

Nice while you have it going for you

But inevitably we all will get to see the other side of the spectrum

Personally I've learned / chose to have more compassion / empathy, cause clearly that is the direction we are all headed... Like it or not... It is coming your way too

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB