Carnival's Response to RCI PC changes?

The both of them need to realize more options is going to mean more cabins and potentially more unsold cabins that it's tempting to discount last minute to fill. If the stated goal is to get away from that, increasing capacity isn't the way to do it.

I don't think I would book Carnival for the one cruise a year my husband and I take together, but I've done a "girl's cruise" with my friends on Carnival before and had a great time. One of those friends has recently relocated to Vero Beach, so she's close to PC. If they planned something and asked me, especially during winter, I'd happily hop on board with them.

I'll buck the popular trend.....

I will definitely do the Oasis out of PC, but not MJ. Have done it once and it was the smallest cabin I have ever had.

I like the Magic's Western Caribbean itinerary a lot -- better than Oasis or Freedom.

But what I am really tempted by is the Carnival Vista -- but Miami is the most convenient port to get to.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

Carnival would have to improve its safety record for us to even consider it. Majesty and Oasis give the option of a smaller or large ship at PC. We also have the option of Celebrity at Ft Lauderdale. Carnival would be at the bottom of our list.

Carnival has to improve its "safety record"? How so?

They had those 2 incidents a few yrs ago with the propulsion issues ... and RC has had a few issues there too -- so give that a break. :rolleyes:

When I cruise from a Florida port to go on a cruise, I fly there so it makes no difference to me. FLL is far more convenient getting in & out of than MCO, as well as cheaper to fly into, as is Tampa.

If you don't like the ships in Port Everglades, why not drive to Tampa or Port Everglades? The furthest being only two more hours,. It kinda seems pretty whinny to me. But if it's that much of a big deal to you, enjoy CCL, they're not all that bad.

Not interested in Majesty out of PC. I am glad for CCL cruisers that they will have nicer ships to sail on out of PC, but I have no desire to sail with them. It would take an incredible deal for me to even consider them again.

For me, Free would have to be the fare. We have friends who sail Carnival all the time, and we talk cruises, but never sail together unless they ungrade to Royal or Celebrity.

We have sailed Carnival 2 times and first time was pretty good. Second time, we met young couple of first night in elevator around 9 pm where she was throwing up in elevator as we thought we might get on. Needless to say, we used the stairs and the cruise had a number of similar issue.

I'll buck the popular trend.....

I will definitely do the Oasis out of PC, but not MJ. Have done it once and it was the smallest cabin I have ever had.

I like the Magic's Western Caribbean itinerary a lot -- better than Oasis or Freedom.

But what I am really tempted by is the Carnival Vista -- but Miami is the most convenient port to get to.

mac_tlc

it's amazing how one little word can change a thought completely.... I meant to say..

...but Miami is NOT the most convenient port to get to.

Being as we have a house in Orlando, MCO is super convenient as we are 5 minutes away. PC is about 38 minutes from us, so FLL and MIA require a little more work to get to.

mac_tlc

I've never chosen a cruise based on where it embarks. I guess if I lived near that port and could drive to it, I would probably switch to carnival. But since I have to fly to a port no matter what, I pick my cruise based on a combination of ship I want to sail and where that ship goes. I've always chosen Royal Caribbean ships but I'm not against trying something else if for some reason I stop liking royal's ships or they stop cruising to the Caribbean. Or they raise their prices to a point where they're 4 or 5 times higher than carnival for an equitable ship and experience.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

They had those 2 incidents a few yrs ago with the propulsion issues ... and RC has had a few issues there too -- so give that a break. :rolleyes:

Dear F27TW here's your answer[emoji4]

Dismal safety record

The chairman of the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, Senator Jay Rockefeller, has written to the CEO of Carnival expressing his concerns about their “dismal safety record”.

“90 serious events … have occurred on your cruise ships, jeopardizing the safety and lives of those onboard, and prompting Coast Guard marine casualty investigations. These incidents include groundings, collisions, allisions [the striking of one ship by another], engine room and generator fires, propulsion and electrical system failures that have left ships adrift at sea, and other critical onboard system failures.”

The Senator refers to an “alarming number of onboard fires, major system malfunctions and human errors … have occurred on Carnival’s ships since 2008.” Despite that, he says there is “no evidence that the company has undertaken any meaningful course of corrective action to improve its safety record.”

And of course the Costa Concordia disaster.

Still not sure why the negative reaction about Majesty. I was on Majesty a few months ago and had a blast! The staff was wonderful, officers were great, and overall the ship was in good condition for it being over 20 years old.

No, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the larger ships, but neither does the Enchantment. Actually before the Majesty gets to Port Canaveral, it will have more than what the Enchantment has (Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the Enchantment as well As I have spent many long cruises on her out of Baltimore).

I am really interested to see as the project gets closer of what happens with Majesty, and what the specifics of the refurb will be.

Being from a city without a cruiseport, Orlando is a very inexpensive city to fly into with many flight choices making Canaveral a convenient port.. I won't think twice about going on Majesty,

So, since the original thread discussing whether RCI was "abandoning" PC by bringing MJ here was closed for some reason I'll start a new one.

With MJ coming here to replace Enchantment/Rhapsody I was not overly thrilled. And with Oasis at PC really not thrilled, no interest in her. So I wandered back over to the Carnival website to see what my options were, having sailed both pretty consistently though pretty much RCI recently.

Surprise, Surprise! Carnival is sending Sensation to Miami and having Victory and then Valor take over the 3/4 and 5/6 day runs.

Meaning Carnival has relatively newer, more featured (Yes, I Know MJ is going in for refurb). ships with more itinerary options.

Request in advance. Please no CCL vs RCI comments. I am aware of the differences and all things being equal prefer RCI. But all things are not equal and CCL will give PC cruisers more options, which is the point of this discussion.

Thoughts? Will the greater options compared to just having Majesty and Oasis tempt you? It's tempting me.:D

The temptation for me to sail Carnival out of PC.........ZERO :D

Tried a cruise on Carnival after strictly RCL. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on from start to finish, hence would never sail Carnival again. Also the interior of the ship was downright gaudy, ugly IMHO......:D:eek:

With the continuing trend at RC to cost-cut and lessen quality overall , RC is becoming a more Carnival like experience anyway ... so why not try one of the Carnival ships that are nicer and newer than the old Majesty ?

RC isn't the RC of the past that so many of you all are holding on to, lets face it. RC is just a mass market cruise line .. just like Carnival is. (GASP! :eek:)

Ive only been sailing RC for about 6 yrs now and each time, I've noticed a decline in one area or another.

Heck yea I'd give Carnival a shot (tho one one of their newer ships like Valor or Victory .. not the old Fantasy class barges ... they just look nasty ).

And before the RC cheerleaders respond, I'll say it for you "Well then enjoy your cruise on Carnival, perhaps you are better suited there..." :rolleyes:

This is exactly how I feel. I'd give Carnival or any of the other major cruise lines a shot.

I'm not tempted either! Carnival offers no suite perks and although I thought their food was fantastic and so was their price I won't go unless it's free. I plan my cruises on the ships and the itinerary. Most of the times call for flying to the port.

Being from a city without a cruiseport, Orlando is a very inexpensive city to fly into with many flight choices making Canaveral a convenient port.. I won't think twice about going on Majesty,

Orlando has more, and cheaper flight options for us out of Chicago as well. I'd give anything to just have to drive 2, 3, even 4 hours to get to a cruise port.

Friends of ours cruise strictly Carnival now a days. They say the price is 1/2 compared to RCCL. We have chosen to stick with rccl thus far. I guess I cant really say much tho, I have only ever cruised RCCL and have nothing to compare to. I guess if some real crazy last minute offer came about, i would gladly hop on with them! (Its still a cruise) But if Im gonna sit down and plan a cruise,per say, Im sticking with RCCL. Dan