Locked luggage

OldBoot

So, does anyone lock their luggage anymore? My Med cruise is within 2 weeks and I'm starting to read the fine print. HAL's baggage policy requires you to have your baggage on "securely constructed and locked suitcases". I realize that they are protecting themselves from liaibility here, but am curious about your habits in this regard. I stopped locking my luggage quite some time ago.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

I put a zip tie on mine. Most luggage locks are useless. They either have a universal key or can be cut off. We take blunt point scissors with us to cut the tie off. This way, I don't have to keep up with a tiny key.

Yup, I lock mine. I have TSA locks. That said I would never be silly enough to put anything of value in there.

Same here. I have no misgivings about the locks keeping a thief out of my luggage, they want in they'll get in. Quite frankly it's as much about keeping the zipper from getting opened accidentally as it is security. Sure zip ties work but TSA just cuts those off. Sure TSA might, and certainly has, not replace a lock or lock it but most of the time they do. Is anything perfect? Nope. You do whatever works for you and take your chances. By the way we use the combination locks that come with just about every piece we buy so no big investment. We usually have one or two extra with us in case one gets lost.

Edited by Randyk47

We use combination locks. For one thing, it prevents an accidental opening. I also like to think, perhaps in vain, that the thieves would go more quickly to an unlocked piece. I also agree with Cruz Chic - never put anything of value in checked luggage. Anything of value goes in my carryon or pocketbook.

I ALWAYS lock anything that isn't in my possession! You don't need TSA locks, either....I use a Keyed Master Lock!!

If you fly and don't use a TSA approved lock, consider yourself lucky that they haven't cut it off yet.

In related news, I don't know why, but whenever I fly with my tux in my garment bag, the TSA pulls my bag for a check. They never hang the suit up nicely and I wind up with a wrinkled clump of formal wear. I can't decide if the security people hate tuxedos or if they're in cahoots with the garment pressers on the ship. :confused:

Perhaps it's that I cut a dashing, James Bond like, super spy figure when I tux it up. :cool: Nah....

Don't lock ours. Anything checked has only clothes. All jewelry, electronics, cameras, medications, paperwork are in carry-ons that never leave our side. Have always had this vague notion that a locked lock says that there's something worth stealing inside. We also use packing cubes, so anyone who looks inside sees only a number of zippered containers.

I put a zip tie on mine. Most luggage locks are useless. They either have a universal key or can be cut off. We take blunt point scissors with us to cut the tie off. This way, I don't have to keep up with a tiny key.

Same here except I have a small pair of wire cutters that I use to remove the zip ties. If someone wants into our luggage they can do it even with locks so zip ties are easy and don't have to keep track of keys.

I use the TSA approved combo lock with no problems. I have noticed that on the luggage tag a stamp from TSA. Which tells me that TSA has checked my luggage or that an agent just likes to stamp things. Years ago I never used anything to lock my luggage until half of my stuff was all over the conveyer belt. Learned a lesson.:eek:

We always lock our luggage.

Flying, cruising, whatever -- TSA locks for us.

Ditto!:) And we do take a couple of extra locks, as well, so that if we have to leave carry-ons on a bus, say, during a tour/transfer, we can lock them - it may not stop a thief, but possibly slow him down.

Ditto!:) And we do take a couple of extra locks, as well, so that if we have to leave carry-ons on a bus, say, during a tour/transfer, we can lock them - it may not stop a thief, but possibly slow him down.

Or make it known it was opened. My locks show red if they were opened. So if they haven't changed and there's no hole......

I also use locks on ALL carryons.

In related news, I don't know why, but whenever I fly with my tux in my garment bag, the TSA pulls my bag for a check. They never hang the suit up nicely and I wind up with a wrinkled clump of formal wear. I can't decide if the security people hate tuxedos or if they're in cahoots with the garment pressers on the ship. :confused:

Or someone was wondering what a tux looked like, being so few wear them now. :D

Well that's helpful. This trip we don't have any USA stops, so not sure what the European equivalent of TSA might be?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

To the best of my knowledge there is no equivalent. We travelled to and from Europe through England, Spain, Italy, and Turkey last year with TSA locks and they all went and came home safely so it apparently wasn't an issue. They'll be on our bags in a month for another European trip.

Edited by Randyk47

I am also a big fan of small zip-lock ties. You can buy a bag of these things for only a few dollars at any place like Radio Shack, auto parts stores, etc. and they are quite cheap. Unlike a TSA lock (for which every thief on earth has a key) these ties must be cut. They will not stop anyone from getting in your luggage (nothing can do that) but you will certainly know if somebody has opened your luggage.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I use those big toenail trimmers to cut the ziplock ties, keep one in the side pocket of the suitcase along with lots of extra ties. The one time my bag was opened at the airport for inspection they left a polite note inside and put a new tie on.

It doesn't really matter how you lock it - zip-lock ties, small padlocks, etc - the point is to lock it. While your luggage is in the bowels of the luggage handling system, whether it be an airport, cruise terminal, or bus transfer, it is ripe for the casual thief to open it quickly and pilfer whatever is in easy reach. So if it is secured somehow, that thief will bypass it for better pickings. These thieves have to work quickly, and anything you can do to make it harder for them, works. I use the twist ties from the supermarket produce section to close all the small outside zippers also - to deter pilferage, and to protect the contents from accidental opening.

Now if TSA wants to inspect the contents, they will open it, no matter what system you use for securing it. They are authorized to do this. The TSA approved locks just make it easier for them, but they will open any bag, with any lock, if the x-ray shows a suspicious or indeterminate object. They always leave a paper inside telling you that they opened the bag. If your bag appears to have been opened, and there is no note from TSA, then it was probably opened by some baggage handler.

TSA locks on all pieces of luggage that I can use them.

On my forthcoming trip, I have a small, one-suiter hard side bag, circa: 1983, that I am going to use and the TSA approved luggage straps that I have will not tightly fit around that bag. Darn it! I fear to use those because I think they may get caught in the luggage carousels.

Thus, this piece of luggage, when I fly home, will contain dirty laundry and any/all non-valuable items. The luggage has locks built into the suitcase, but I will not use them for fear that they might be broken if whomever decides the bag must be opened.

Re the zip-ties. We've used toe-nail clippers, but they can be broken pretty easily and a pen or pencil. Just leave them loose enough to insert a sturdy pen in, and twist the pen / pencil. The zip-tie will break.

This is really handy when you cannot remember where you put the damned clippers......

Been there, done that......

We use TSA locks with indicators on them that show if they have been opened. The indicator goes from green to red when a TSA key has been used. Our luggage has been opened more than once without a note being left. Luckily, nothing was missing.

We also have numbered zip ties - think electrical tie with a serial number. It's also worth the extra minute or two to take some digital photos as you pack. It makes it easier to see if anything is missing - or if you just left it at home. Not that we've ever done that. ;)

For airlines, I use twist ties rather than TSA locks. Whenever we have used TSA locks, 1 out of 2 times, they are broken or missing when we reclaim our luggage. Thus, for us, they are worthless. We do lock our luggage when going on ship, however, with regular combination locks.

I lock only to prevent accidental opening of the bag and the contents spilling out. Locking to prevent theft seems, to me, pointless as most all bags can be opened in a matter of seconds, lock or not. I keep all valuables in my possession.