Bad News or Good for Westerdam Horn Fans....

IRL_Joanie

I asked hubby to post this on Friday, 18 July 2014, but he felt I should do so after we returned home.

I asked Captain John Scot, Master of Westerdam, at the Mariner Medallion Ceremony, if he was going to go for the record of former Master P.J. Harris in Ft Lauderdale of 88+ Horns as Westerdam departed Ft Lauderdale.

His response was a definite "No," Reasons given make sense, considering what he said, which is that he feels it is unprofessional to do so many. I believe he also feels that it is disturbing to the residents, etc.

He also stated that he does read CC at least once a week, if only during the Caribbean Season to see just how many pages there are on the Sail Away Threads:)

So, Westerdam's "Queen of the Horns" title will stand:)

Joanie

I have yet to meet a person who lives along the Port Everglades inlet channel who doesn't like the ships' horns. It's part of the charm. (I fully expect to hear from someone who can't stand the noise and who somehow missed the fact that there was an enormous working port nearby when they bought their home. :D)

Edited by POA1

I'm old school. I like the three long blasts. 88 sounds like my 3 year old granddaughter is at the horn.

Since the fire in the boiler room (I did not know that they had boilers on the ships) I wonder if they could rig up a steam whistle ? ---- The sound of a massive steam whistle is something that you will never forget.

I'm old school. I like the three long blasts. 88 sounds like my 3 year old granddaughter is at the horn.

Since the fire in the boiler room (I did not know that they had boilers on the ships) I wonder if they could rig up a steam whistle ? ---- The sound of a massive steam whistle is something that you will never forget.

I think the Steam Whistle sounds great too:)

I do wonder if Captain Harris was doing the Horns so much because he knew he'd be leaving us to go to Wind Star and he'd not be able to blow the horns in the Caribbean Ports.............

Joanie

I think the excessive horn blowing of the Westerdam or any ship that does it, is way over done and does nothing to help make the moment enjoyable. There no reason to be blowing it "88" times. I am sure the residents are not really excited to be hearing the horn blowing that much. Three times with a couple short ones is fine - we all get the message.

Edited by boards

and there are ports that heavily fine a vessel which sounds her horn for any reason other than an emergency. Livorno comes to mind. I was aboard the PRINSENDAM in November 2004 when the NOORDAM of 1984 sailed for Lisbon to be delivered to Thomson Cruises. Authorities warned the PRINSENDAM to keep silent and the NOORDAM heard nothing from us to salute her passing from the port and the fleet. I love a ship's horn more than the next guy. I worked in 14 shis, sailed now in 109 different ships. Horns mean something and are not really supposed to be sounded as anything other than the ship's voice.

and there are ports that heavily fine a vessel which sounds her horn for any reason other than an emergency. Livorno comes to mind. I was aboard the PRINSENDAM in November 2004 when the NOORDAM of 1984 sailed for Lisbon to be delivered to Thomson Cruises. Authorities warned the PRINSENDAM to keep silent and the NOORDAM heard nothing from us to salute her passing from the port and the fleet. I love a ship's horn more than the next guy. I worked in 14 ships, sailed now in 109 different ships. Horns mean something and are not really supposed to be sounded as anything other than the ship's voice.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a ship's captain would make critical remarks about another captain to a passenger. And further, the horns have been going on so long it has become something of a tradition which other cruise ships of other lines have been joining in with.

Edited by Lizzie68

Those steam whistles only belong on a train. Can't imagine one on a ship.

It was well over 88 times, more like 145 and those of us that have join in the threads from PE have really enjoyed hearing the horns of the Westerdam and others. I believe that it was Captain Henk that had the record for toots. All us sailaway addicts will certainly miss the toots this fall from the Westerdam if that is the case, but there could always be some other ship and Captain that will take over from her, I hope.

Those steam whistles only belong on a train. Can't imagine one on a ship.

No they belong on a ship too. Growing up in Seattle we had the coastal CPR liners that went to Victoria and Vancouver. They all had steam whistles and its a sound that you will never forget. The horns on ships today are cheezy by comparison.

It was well over 88 times, more like 145 and those of us that have join in the threads from PE have really enjoyed hearing the horns of the Westerdam and others. I believe that it was Captain Henk that had the record for toots. All us sailaway addicts will certainly miss the toots this fall from the Westerdam if that is the case, but there could always be some other ship and Captain that will take over from her, I hope.

I approve this message!;) One Captain's statement will not deter us die hards from rooting for the Dam team.

It seems that those who think three is enough are not regular "sail-away addicts". We want more!:D

You are wrong. I watch sailaways regularly and even get up early to watch them arrive, but I do not enjoy the long unnecessary horn blowing.

Edited by boards

You are wrong. I watch sailaways regularly and even get up early to watch them arrive, but I do not enjoy the long unnecessary horn blowing.

Maybe we ought to have a Poll?:)

I, too, like the excitement of the tooting, both while I am aboard as well as I am watching the sailaway.:D

One thing we are overlooking here is that there are both inland and international rules of the road for ships. The ship's whistle is used to signal other ships of your intentions: i.e. turning, going into reverse, I have a man overboard, etc. As officer of the deck underway aboard a U.S. Navy ship I learned those rules. Here is a quote from Knight's Modern Seamanship80.35 Rule prohibiting unnecessary sounding of the whistle.-Unnecessary sounding of the whistle is prohibited within any harbor limits of the United States. Whenever any licensed officer in charge of any vessel shall authorize or permit such unnecessary whistling, such officer may be proceeded against in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 4450, as amended, looking to a revocation or suspension of his license.

I learned these rules back in the 1970s and I am surprised that they would be ignored by a HAL Captain. I am also surprised that I still have my copy of Knight's Modern Seamanship.

Wasn't it a sail away on Easter. People remarked that they thought the horn blowing was "Here Comes Peter Cotton Tail." I remember that day. It was fun.

I'm confused -- don't live in Ft. Lauderdale, haven't sailed on the Westie. Are you saying that the captain has been known to sound the horn 88 or more times in a row (continuously) while departing Port Everglades? And is or was this a regular occurrence? Remarkable!

I remember that well. I'm not giving up on the Queen of Horns - I'll just wait and see:D

One thing we are overlooking here is that there are both inland and international rules of the road for ships. The ship's whistle is used to signal other ships of your intentions: i.e. turning, going into reverse, I have a man overboard, etc. As officer of the deck underway aboard a U.S. Navy ship I learned those rules. Here is a quote from Knight's Modern Seamanship80.35 Rule prohibiting unnecessary sounding of the whistle.-Unnecessary sounding of the whistle is prohibited within any harbor limits of the United States. Whenever any licensed officer in charge of any vessel shall authorize or permit such unnecessary whistling, such officer may be proceeded against in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 4450, as amended, looking to a revocation or suspension of his license.

I learned these rules back in the 1970s and I am surprised that they would be ignored by a HAL Captain. I am also surprised that I still have my copy of Knight's Modern Seamanship.

since Princess plays the Love Boat music leaving FLL, perhaps the rules are different.

Join us on the sail a way threads. I think the people at FLL (as POA1 has attested) enjoy it as much as those of us watching on a webcam

I'm confused -- don't live in Ft. Lauderdale, haven't sailed on the Westie. Are you saying that the captain has been known to sound the horn 88 or more times in a row (continuously) while departing Port Everglades? And is or was this a regular occurrence? Remarkable!

Yes as she departed PE and yes it was, every Saturday that the Westy was in PE on her 7 day winter Caribbean cruising schedule in 2012 - 2013 - 2014.