How has Celebrity changed since 2012?

GroomsportGirl

There have been many changes, some you'll notice, some not....some of the changes matter a great deal to some and not to others. Most, but not all have been cost reductions. Some have been significant improvements. Some have come through promotions such as 1-2-3 and it's various permutations and combinations. Some things now cost more.

IMHO, Celebrity continues to offers the best cruise experience of any of the mass market lines....as all are making changes to reduce costs and increase profit in the highly competitive cruise market.

Edited by ghstudio

What do you think have been the major improvements?

For the first time we have got free drinks package, tips and healthy OBC so looking forward to having a more all inclusive experience. We are also trying Aquaclass for the first time.

We loved celebrity but over the last few years the itinery and offers of Cunard and HAL have provided an alternative experience. I reckon they all have their advs/disadvs but all in all....a cruise holiday is special!

I have noticed a big change in the informality of how people are dressing for dinner, even on formal nights, with no enforcement of dress codes. I even saw people with shorts in Select Dining on a formal night. On the last night of our cruise a couple came into dinner looking as if they just came from the gym in workout clothes, workout shorts, t- shirts with writing, sneakers. No one stopped them.

We noticed that the activities staff which had been 5 was down to 1 on the Reflection. Also, the cost of specialty restaurants have risen dramatically. The elaborate brunch in the MDR is now gone. Sin City is gone. Some people are allowed to dine during formal night wearing Yankee shirts, workout clothes, and shorts.

The crew is as friendly as ever and the food is real good. The singers, dancers, and the Celebrity Orchestra are outstanding.

The increased Celebrity prices, decrease in activities staff and extra charges made us move to Crystal. By the time you figure it out, it works out to be the same price and the food, service and activities are far superior!

The increased Celebrity prices, decrease in activities staff and extra charges made us move to Crystal. By the time you figure it out, it works out to be the same price and the food, service and activities are far superior!

Thanks for this comment. We have been sailing Celebrity exclusively for 23 years, but the latest cutbacks have us looking at Crystal.

I would say the increase in price. Mostly in suites and Aqua class. We really don`t book with 1 2 3 offer but that is also why prices are up. Luminae added for suites has kept suite bookings very strong. On my next 3 bookings suites are already sold out. The suite prices are now in line with the luxury cruise lines.

Full disclosure here, I am not a Celebrity fan and have not been on Celebrity since 2012, but will comment since the issue has come up.

My preference is Crystal although I am booked on Infinity as a more civilized alternative to flying home from my 2017 South America Cruise.

There have been several Crystal changes since 2012 but the one of most interest here would probably be smoking policy.

In 2012 smoking was prohibited in staterroms and balconies but there were some lounges with smoking areas. Today, the only indoor smoking area is a small, enclosed lounge dedicated to that purpose that a non-smoker would have no reason to visit. I think that lounge is actually a positive since it cuts down somewhat on the smoking on the pool deck which is somewaht less an issue now than it is on Celebrity.

Roy

Looks like I'll need to run the numbers again. Every time I've done a comparison with Crystal it seems as if they are 2X cost of Celebrity. Even considering their all inclusive business model. Thank-you for your input. Reaching for my calculator! :D

Cost comparison Celebrity vs Crystal can vary greatly depending on the stareroom categories you're comparing.

As you can see in my signature, we have sailed X and Crystal the most over other lines. We love the Crystal product, but enjoy Celebrity too. It's hard for us to compare the two because they are two very different products in our opinion.

For solo travelers, a huge plus with Crystal are their low single supplements. The downside with Crystal are their limited itineraries since they only have two ships, currently.

When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was the change from 2012 to 2015 is the loss of Century. How I miss Century class.....

I have noticed a big change in the informality of how people are dressing for dinner, even on formal nights, with no enforcement of dress codes. I even saw people with shorts in Select Dining on a formal night. On the last night of our cruise a couple came into dinner looking as if they just came from the gym in workout clothes, workout shorts, t- shirts with writing, sneakers. No one stopped them.

Unless, of course, they packed up their luggage, left it out to be picked up, & then realized they had no clothes other than what they were wearing, it happens. :)

Unless, of course, they packed up their luggage, left it out to be picked up, & then realized they had no clothes other than what they were wearing, it happens. :)

That's been on here a few times, funny....Reminds me a little of a tv special on Oasis and a couple put their passports in their checked luggage when they got on the ship.

To the person who posted about smoking at the pool on Celebrity, didn't know that was an issue, there is one small area and it is easy to avoid.

Edited by dkjretired

We have just booked a cruise on the Silhouette and we are really looking forward to it....

We previously cruised on the Silhouette during 2011 & 2012 - how has it changed? Or maybe it hasn't??

Captains Club has changed significantly and not sure when you last cruised but Select dining appears to be much more popular now than traditional dining.

Very little entertainment variety in the lounges, not like it used to be. Mostly DJs.

Thanks everyone....really interesting range of perspectives.

In terms of the entertainment - this is something I really struggled with on celebrity. I realise that this is very much influenced by personal preference and taste and some people loved it. In general, for us, it was a little too 'cheap caberat' with the same old karaoke songs. How would you describe the current offering?

I've switched to Regent for the same reason.

Just done a comparison for our cruise in November out of Miami.

Celebrity 13 nights balcony £3200 including drinks package.

Crystal 14 nights from £5600.

You might get the odd deal but looking at their prices they don't compair for the average cruise and cruiser.

I would say the increase in price. Mostly in suites and Aqua class. We really don`t book with 1 2 3 offer but that is also why prices are up. Luminae added for suites has kept suite bookings very strong. On my next 3 bookings suites are already sold out. The suite prices are now in line with the luxury cruise lines.

We love Celebrity and have done 8 cruises since 2011. On board changes are minor, in my opinion.

We still enjoy the same excellent service and food in the MDR and buffet.

Prices seem to have risen significantly. I believe the 123 Go promos push up the prices.

We are elite and the drinks packages are of little value to us.

I prefer no more promos, just give us the best price.

Aside from the truth that is posted in many of the other replies to the thread, one thing that struck me was the dramatic reduction of foods offered on the televised room service menu. All of the things that I had enjoyed or found special on my previous cruise in 2012 are now gone and have not been replaced. :(

Other than that and definitely noticing that the number of activities staff had been decreased, I didn't really notice any major changes that stood out in my mind. I had a great time, just like I did in 2012... Just spent a little bit more time bringing my own food back to the room when I wanted a snack!

Looks like I'll need to run the numbers again. Every time I've done a comparison with Crystal it seems as if they are 2X cost of Celebrity. Even considering their all inclusive business model. Thank-you for your input. Reaching for my calculator! :D

I got discount on top of discount on top of discount. If you do your homework you can get some great deals on Crystal. We took the bottom category and still have an oceanview. Our TA gave us an additional $400.00 off and a $300.00 on board credit! A large TA with an office in my community!

I am looking at my Crystal 2015/2016 atlas right now. There are many cruises that start at $2000. Granted that will be a low category room but there are upgrades to be had. Even a low category cabin would still let you enjoy the outstanding service and food. They also offer some Mexico and Pacific Northwest cruises for us on the West Coast.

We previously cruised on the Silhouette during 2011 & 2012 - how has it changed? Or maybe it hasn't??

IMHO, Celebrity continues to offers the best cruise experience of any of the mass market lines.....

We second this, for the cost, none better.

We have just booked a cruise on the Silhouette and we are really looking forward to it....

We have been cruising on Celebrity since the Horizon, Galaxy and Century early days. There are some changes in service, such as white-gloved waiters serving your dinners under a silver dome. I can live with that! Other subtle changes have been observed in service and in amenities, but I still thoroughly enjoy every Celebrity cruise!!

Also, I notice that "some" people do not dress like they used to for dinner. We still do and so do many others.

The main change, which I LOVE, is the promotions. The TRUE promotions that is, not just marketing ploys. For example, my next two Equinox cruises, which I booked early, are 10 night cruises, including classic beverage package for two, free pre-paid gratuities, and $500 shipboard credit. This was unheard of in previous years of cruising. I paid a total of $4100 for two people for Aqua Class, A1.

So yes, there is some changes that are perceived as Celebrity is not what it used to be, but you just can't beat the bang for your buck, along with the high-end quality and good service. So just shop carefully and try to shop for the good promos.

Happy Cruising!

Susan