Clothespins for chairs and towels

txflood33

I have read here that people bring clothespins to keep their towel(s) from blowing away. Are you using these at the top deck pool or for towels on your balcony chairs?

I was initially thinking these would be used for your balcony chairs and then wondered how wide they need to open.....I was going to forgo the clothespins and use small plastic clips(chip clip style). We will be on Celebrity and from pics of the balcony chairs, it looks like you could be clipping to wood....so how wide do these clips need to open?

No need for clothespins. You can actually buy very inexpensive chair clips at places like Bed Bath and Beyond. They also sell a lot on Amazon and here is a link to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=beach+chair+towel+clips&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31611029917&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11818525448844095243&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3ks8m0g7de_b

We have had ours for 2 years and wouldn't leave home without them :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

No need for clothespins. You can actually buy very inexpensive chair clips at places like Bed Bath and Beyond. They also sell a lot on Amazon and here is a link to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=beach+chair+towel+clips&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31611029917&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11818525448844095243&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3ks8m0g7de_b

Hank

Excellent! Thanks for the link.

Are you guys/gals using these at the pool or on your balcony?

Hank

Mine are white in color. Got 6 in a bag at the Dollar Tree.:D

Hank

The ones I have look something like the first listed; got them at Wal-mart or the dollar store. The others are cuter, but I only use them for drying clothes.

Excellent! Thanks for the link.

Are you guys/gals using these at the pool or on your balcony?

We live in beach/lounge chairs many months a year and use them wherever there is wind that might blow off our towel. On cruise ship balconies we normally do not use towels....but if we did we would certainly use the towel clips. For the record DW has Pink Flamingos and I have Orcas.

Hank

Sorry, why are you not supposed to do this? Have never heard not to, or seen any signs prohibiting it.

I'm talking about hanging clothes to dry on the balcony chairs. I think it's mostly because of fire; in case ashes or something else lands on the clothing and starts to burn. Also possibly so that they don't blow into the ocean (pollution) or maybe it could blow into equipment or electronics?

I only hang my stuff on the back of the chairs and fasten them down really well, so hopefully I am not endangering our lives!

I have seen notices asking passengers not to do this, I think in the big book that tells about the ship, laundry, room service, etc. that is in your room.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Sorry, why are you not supposed to do this? Have never heard not to, or seen any signs prohibiting it.

Even since the major fire on the Star Princess (that killed one passenger and ruined about 150 cabins) the cruise lines have been encouraging folks not to leave any clothes (or anything else that can burn) on their balconies.

Hank

I'm talking about hanging clothes to dry on the balcony chairs. I think it's mostly because of fire; in case ashes or something else lands on the clothing and starts to burn. Also possibly so that they don't blow into the ocean (pollution) or maybe it could blow into equipment or electronics?

I only hang my stuff on the back of the chairs and fasten them down really well, so hopefully I am not endangering our lives!

I have seen notices asking passengers not to do this, I think in the big book that tells about the ship, laundry, room service, etc. that is in your room.

You've seen it printed in the passenger materials to not put laundry on the chairs on verandahs but you do so? :confused: Why?

I can say I've never actually seen it in writing but have always understood the ships don't want us putting laundry out to dry.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm talking about hanging clothes to dry on the balcony chairs.

OK. You can probably see where my confusion started - OP was talking about several different things in the initial post. :)

Even since the major fire on the Star Princess (that killed one passenger and ruined about 150 cabins) the cruise lines have been encouraging folks not to leave any clothes (or anything else that can burn) on their balconies.

Yes; you can see where it became a bit confusing. OP was talking about towels on chairs - that's why I asked my question.

I also use the biggest binder clips. They are pretty strong and would hold a beach towel from blowing away under ususal conditions. I also put them in my beach bag and take them ashore if we plan to swim. I have a pareo ( a swim cover-up that is about 3 ft wide and 6 ft long.) I clip that to an umbrella or clam shell to help with a little shade. And then I can also use them to hang clothes to dry. Oh yeah.....and they're cheap.

I too have seen or read it somewhere in the cabin that we are not supposed to hang clothes on chairs to dry. We only do it while we are in the cabin. Once our cabin steward brought our stuff in and hung it in the bathroom. We never left it out again when we were not in the room.

Edited by Boozebabe

We like to use the BOCA clips, both on our cruise and at our pool at home. They definitely keep the towels from blowing into the pool (at home) or over the rail of the balcony on the ship. We bought ours at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but you can also purchase them from Amazon.

I have seen the big clips on HAL ships - used to keep towels in place while out on the windy decks at times.

LOL! That might have been DW and me :). We do our share of cruising on HAL (will be heading off to another 38 days next week) and always have our towel clips.

Hank

Well of course the cruise lines don't want people hanging out their skivvies on the balconies. They want you to pay to have your laundry done at a profit by their laundry service. As for festooning all my stuff to dry inside the cabin under the air vents, why would I do that? There is a perfectly good balcony I paid for, with God's own breeze blowing out there.

Wooden clothes pegs have always worked just fine for us. You don't want your laundry or towels blowing off your balcony and landing up some place you can't get them back. Binder clips also work fine. With swim suits, you can usually find a way to loop or tie them so they can't blow away.

Underlying this is the ship's rule. They don't want their ship looking like a south Asian junk with laundry hanging on all the railings - bad advertising. And they want you to use their laundry service that they make money on. Their rule is self-interested, so I'm not interested in following it to please them.

Well, now that most cruiselines have banned smoking from balconies, they can't use the fire hazard caution anymore.

I see no problem in securing a few items (swimsuits) to the back of the balcony chairs with clothespins for a couple of hours to dry. They will not fly away, and there aren't any butts or ashes to potentially ignite them.