Overnight in Labadee

GoochDSA

My sister will be on a cruise that is docked in Labadee overnight. She has been unable to find much information about what might be available on Labadee at night. Has anyone had an overnight stop there? Do they do any special dinners or bonfires or any other special activities that she and her husband should keep an eye out for?

I believe they lock all the doors at 6pm and drain the water for cleaning at night. I do remember a cruiser on the ship did ask why they used salt water at Labadee for the swimming area but the CD never had a good answer to that.

To my knowledge no one but the remaining few staff members and locals stay after dark since it is a DAY trip only. Unless the ship breaks down.

Edited by uncle John

I believe they lock all the doors at 6pm and drain the water for cleaning at night. I do remember a cruiser on the ship did ask why they used salt water at Labadee for the swimming area but the CD never had a good answer to that.

To my knowledge no one but the remaining few staff members and locals stay after dark since it is a DAY trip only. Unless the ship breaks down.

:confused::confused::confused: I don't get what your response was to!

They are going to be on the March 21st sailing of the Quantum, which docks at Labadee at 4:30PM on 3/25 and leaves at 5:00PM on 3/26, which was confirmed to them by e-mail from RCCL, after they had questioned it. I guess it is no longer just a DAY trip anymore.

Lock the doors and drain the water? :confused:

Must be something NEW to the Island. It would be great to find out if this is something they are planning to try since Labadee is not really set up for evening use from what I have noticed in the past. May be just a place to dock for the evening to save fuel and have a comfortable evening on shore?

I love the Island and that would be something different to stay docked for the night.

It will be interesting to read accounts of the overnighter. Maybe they will light up the place with torches or something as I've never noticed any lighting around except for the buildings. If they dock at 4:30 there won't be much daylight left for water activities. Maybe the first night will be geared toward ship board activities. I look forward to reading about it.

I personally would be very worried about the mosquitoes at night on Labadee, since they are known to now carry the Chikungunya virus. If you are out and about on the island at night, please make sure you follow the suggestions from the CDC. These suggestions apply to all the Caribbean islands affected by this virus.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-saint-martin

Now this is something I always thought would be a great idea as there are so many available things to do on Labadee that could not be done in one day. Sometimes a few days, in one place, on the beach can be very relaxing and look forward to this option being offered more!!

To me, an overnight in Labadee is way more appealing then Cozumel!!:p

Also, one would think Royal can hear the sounds of ching cha ching with all the money cruisers would spend over two days. Isn't that roller coaster 20 bucks a pop???

definitely keeping an an ear out on this chatter...........

On our first visit to Labadee, they had an annoucement telling everyone to make sure they were on the last tender or they would be left overnight. We sat there silently for a few minutes and started plotting getting enough fruit and food to last for the next day or two and where we would hide until the last tender left to come out of hiding. Can't wait to hear whether they get to get off the ship and if they have activities planned for the night. I've always thought it would be fun to be a little bit shipwrecked...but only for one day and night..lol.

Do they do any special dinners or bonfires or any other special activities that she and her husband should keep an eye out for?

I really hope this is the case. A huge beach party (like a Luau) would be incredible and with a big beach dance party afterwards. If you can, please keep track of this thread and come back in March to let us know. :)

AFAIK, this is the first time that an overnight at Labadee has appeared on an itinerary.

Because of the "problems" that others have posted, it wouldn't surprise me if they made everyone get back on the ship by sundown and don't let them off again until the morning.

JMO.

:)

They are going to be on the March 21st sailing of the Quantum, which docks at Labadee at 4:30PM on 3/25 and leaves at 5:00PM on 3/26, which was confirmed to them by e-mail from RCCL, after they had questioned it. I guess it is no longer just a DAY trip anymore.

In my 10 years in this forum, this question has come up as a hypothetical, but never on a confirmed cruise. This has potential to be a cruise I would take. I'll watch for reviews.

Years ago, Premier Line ( The Big Red Boat) had a ship named the Majestic. It did a combo Disney and the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas. They would sail out there and drop anchor and spend two days, one over night. All the ships venues would stay open while a anchor. My memory is a wee bit fuzzy but they still had the last ender around 5:00 pm and the first tender is the AM around 8:00 AM. There were no night time activities on the island.

I am on this cruise and from everything that I've been told, we will not be allowed off the ship the first day we get there. We will only be allowed off the second day. I'm sure I'll be told 10 different things between now and then but will be interesting to see what they allow us to do overnight.

I love it! I can put an old book and towel on a beach lounge chair for the next day before going to bed!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist) :)

You leave something on a chair over night in Labadee and I can almost promise you the next day someone will be selling it in the vendor's area and telling people how his father wrote the book and his grandmother made the towel.

I am on this cruise and from everything that I've been told, we will not be allowed off the ship the first day we get there. We will only be allowed off the second day. I'm sure I'll be told 10 different things between now and then but will be interesting to see what they allow us to do overnight.

If that's the case why even burn the fuel to make the speed necessary to get to Labadee late afternoon? Just slow the ship down to a crawl. Lots of itineraries do that. I can't even imagine the battles at guest services if they dock late afternoon and no one is allowed off until the next day. :eek::eek:

Must be something NEW to the Island. It would be great to find out if this is something they are planning to try since Labadee is not really set up for evening use from what I have noticed in the past.

When they added the pier I think this made it more viable as they don't have to run tenders 24 hours. I haven't been back to Labadee since the pier was built, looking forward to it in 97 days or so. I would definitely book a cruise with an overnight stay here.

One additional thought, it should be a casual night on the ship that night as people may want to come back on board for dinner and then go back out for the evening. Heck, maybe even allow shorts in the MDR :)

Edited by BillOh