More RCI Cost Cutting?

The biggest qualm I have with RCI over cost cutting is the coupon books being eliminated. I liked the paper version much more than having them on the Seapass.

I just hope it isn't a sign of things to come for C&A. Royal's past guest program is excellent, it would be a gigantic shame if they started reducing benefits. Carnival ruined their already meager past guest program, which prompted me to sail with RCI almost exclusively now. Hopefully Royal doesn't make the same mistake.

The coupon books are missing the match plays and free internet as well. Before it was 10 credit, now it is a discount. They cut out all the useful coupons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because clearly BOGO drinks is a useless coupon. :rolleyes:

The biggest qualm I have with RCI over cost cutting is the coupon books being eliminated. I liked the paper version much more than having them on the Seapass.

I just hope it isn't a sign of things to come for C&A. Royal's past guest program is excellent, it would be a gigantic shame if they started reducing benefits. Carnival ruined their already meager past guest program, which prompted me to sail with RCI almost exclusively now. Hopefully Royal doesn't make the same mistake.

I'll disagree here, Grady. I was fine with the "virtual" coupon book - the only hiccup I experienced was in the Logo Shop where the clerk had to be shown the letter to give me the discount. If anything it helps stem the sale of coupon books on ebay and the like that used to go on.

They tried to reduce benefits once already which resulted in the nighlty diamond events after the massive outrage if trying to kick the diamonds out of the diamond lounges and make it just for diamond plus on ships without a dedicated diamond lounge. Hopefully they wont make the same mistake twice.

Most of your list has been in place for the last two years. With the exception of the welcome back party you mention I don't see any cutbacks in those areas. Welcome back parties have been held at any time. On the Allure it was early and they served mimosas.

To be fair I have never understood the fascination with cleaning out the honor bar, (and yes we have been falsely charged for the water). A hotel wouldn't do it for you, I don't understand why RCI would. It's their refrigerator to make money (like a hotel). I don't know for sure, but I bet RCI farms out that task to another vendor. Just like the shoppes.

Because we use the fridge for my Insulin and Hubby's Embril which must stay cold plus fruit and juice we bring from the Jammer in case my diabetes is wonky with extra walking that day.

For the week it's our fridge and there isn't enough room with all the Woo Haa in it as well.

Special case, I know.

I had to go back and read all these posts because I couldn't remember who got 'bent out of shape.' I was not so shocked to find nobody getting bent. I'm not sure why there's this need to call people 'cheerleaders' when they disagree with your point of view. It's kind of insulting and says more about you.

Since you were shocked and insulted and couldn't remember what you read, I will try to help you with your silly post. Could you not read the signature of one poster who states he is an RCCL cheerleader. His words, not mine. Yet you come on here and say you are insulted because I call people cheerleaders. Nothing wrong with being a cheerleader if you like something, it is not a bad thing to stick up for what you believe in. Of course people can disagree, that is what makes cruise critic so good, you get many people with different views and ideas. Some cruisers on here prefer RCCL to make cuts to keep the prices down on a cruise. I am one who would rather pay more and have them add better food and put back some of the nice little things they use to do. So don't be insulted, have an opinion on the subject and move forward. It is ok to disagree.

Have you seen more RCI cost cutting?

Here is what I saw on Explorer 2/9 to 2/16.

Drink/Cocktail napkins no longer have the RCI logo. Don't exactly remember when this happened... but it has been quite a while. I stopped taking the cocktail napkins as a souvenir after my first cruise... so it doesn't bother me one bit!

No ice bucket in the cabins - only on request. I'm thinking on this one it has also been years... Never had trouble getting one or two buckets of ice when needed. I just ask. When we weren't using the ice bucket it was just one of those things that was always in the way.

Steward would not empty re fridge or remove Evian water from dresser.

Just plain refused - First time I heard a flat "NO" on RCI ... When you go to a hotel do you ask them to remove the contents of the mini bar? What are you putting in there... extra food???

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs?Past passenger events have always only lasted about 45 minutes to an hour!

"Top Tier Event" - Formal attire required to attend when casual is the MDR dress code.

Again - More alcohol savings? I've been Diamond Plus for a long time... never has anyone on any ship I've been on been turned away from the Top Tier event for any form of dress. I'm sure wet bathing suits aren't allowed... but as far as being turned away for not being formal... nope never have seen that!

What have you seen? Tooth Picks... Where are the Tooth Picks???

So... Obviously I don't see the real problem here. You can always pay more and go on a different line...I hear Seaborne has Ice Buckets in the cabins! ]

Edited by LindaO

Because we use the fridge for my Insulin and Hubby's Embril which must stay cold plus fruit and juice we bring from the Jammer in case my diabetes is wonky with extra walking that day.

For the week it's our fridge and there isn't enough room with all the Woo Haa in it as well.

Special case, I know.

When you cruise RCI if you notify Special Needs prior to cruising they will be happy to make sure you have a dedicated fridge for insulin and Embril. A REAL fridge... not just a cooler. That will solve this problem!

I was on this cruise as well...

The formal attire but casual in compass was a mistake.... i asked our waiter and he said it was a cruise compass mistake.

Thank you so much for elaborating. I thought this sounded peculiar in OP's post; glad to know it was just a mistake.

Yes, one of our veteran members posted a few weeks ago about the loss of the table flowers... too bad. :( And the donuts are another loss! Hope to find some on our upcoming cruise; we'll see. :)

Drink/Cocktail napkins no longer have the RCI logo.

No ice bucket in the cabins - only on request.

Just plain refused - First time I heard a flat "NO" on RCI ...

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs?

"Top Tier Event" - Formal attire required to attend when casual is the MDR dress code.

Again - More alcohol savings?

What have you seen?

We normally just remove everything from the fridge and put it in a cupboard or drawer. Then we place back in the fridge at the end of the cruise. It's not really a big deal for us. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Easy one - had a pretty lazy CS years ago. Took everything out and put it into the sink. Let him know that the sink still needed to be cleaned - "you" put that stuff wherever you want - the chiller is "mine". The second day everything went away ;).

YMMV.

Did your toothbrush have a funny taste the next time you used it? :eek:

I would also add Emerald coupon books - No more coupon books.

You must ask if you have a freebie or discount.

There is a list of your discounts buried among all the papers on embarkation day...But I am sure many guests miss that info...And never take advantage...More savings/cost cutting for that tricky cruise line...

It seems that there must be a crew committee who's job is to make everything inconvenient for the guest in order to save that tricky line cruise money.

This is all to do with becoming paperless and saving paper and the environment. There is a note about it on the C&A page on the website.

At least you still get the discounts. Why do you need a book?

And I agree with others why do you need a logo on a napkin??

RCI made a mistake the first time they had a cabin steward empty out an honor bar for a guest. This would never fly in a land based resort, and certainly shouldn't at sea. Part of the profitability of an honor bar is the impulse buy. If you want a fridge, you can request one from special needs. But expecting them to empty out the honor bar is a bit incongruous with the rest of the hospitality industry.

Also, I strongly urge any diabetic to look into their insulin storage requirements more carefully. Refrigeration is usually only indicated for long term storage (30 days or more), contrary to popular belief. So the vast majority on cruises, even most b2b's don't need to refrigerate their insulin.

I don't deny that some cost cutting is going on (isn't nearly everywhere?) and that sometimes the things being cut do decrease the experience for me. In the case of those things listed, I personally find either no issue, or even prefer the new system.

Drink/Cocktail napkins no longer have the RCI logo. This one is just not even on my radar. I cannot imagine caring one way or the other so long as there is a napkin when I need it.

No ice bucket in the cabins - only on request. This has been the case since we started sailing RCI. It makes sense to me. If someone does not use ice in the room, why should a bucket be there cluttering the room? And why waist the water and electricity to make unwanted ice? I DO like ice, morning and night, but it is never difficult to put in that one time request on the first day.

Just plain refused - First time I heard a flat "NO" on RCI ... I never requested this. It is very simple to relocate all of that stuff to an unused shelf or even an empty suitcase under the bed and then put it back in the fridge when packing up. I even leave a little note so that when the mini bar people check they know where to find things and no errant charges show up.

For medical supplies, as others said, you need to request a true fridge from the special needs department

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs? Most people will drink a free drink (or 3) at any time of day. I have seen events held at various hours. I think it just depends on what works best with the port schedule.

What have you seen?

As far as the coupon books go: I am VERY happy to no longer have to keep up with those little pieces of paper and have it go fully digital--I consider that to be a vast improvement.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Thank you so much for elaborating. I thought this sounded peculiar in OP's post; glad to know it was just a mistake.

Yes, one of our veteran members posted a few weeks ago about the loss of the table flowers... too bad. :( And the donuts are another loss! Hope to find some on our upcoming cruise; we'll see. :)

We had donuts every morning last month on our Indy cruise.

Hopefully it was a one time thing regarding the donuts as i liked the donuts and my son really liked them as well.

I am filipino and liked the pandesal "salt bread" in the am buffet and that was gone as well. Hopefully that is just ship dependent but it has been on my last several cruises. Not likely cost cutting maybe just head chef preference.

Since you were shocked and insulted and couldn't remember what you read, I will try to help you with your silly post. Could you not read the signature of one poster who states he is an RCCL cheerleader. His words, not mine. Yet you come on here and say you are insulted because I call people cheerleaders. Nothing wrong with being a cheerleader if you like something, it is not a bad thing to stick up for what you believe in. Of course people can disagree, that is what makes cruise critic so good, you get many people with different views and ideas. Some cruisers on here prefer RCCL to make cuts to keep the prices down on a cruise. I am one who would rather pay more and have them add better food and put back some of the nice little things they use to do. So don't be insulted, have an opinion on the subject and move forward. It is ok to disagree.

More hyperbole, twisting words, untruths, classic. :rolleyes:

We had table flowers & donuts on Radiance in October last.

Most of the things mentioned I don't care about, digital coupons are fine as having the book didn't make me remember to use them funny enough. Plus we always remembered we had coupons when at the venue - to much hassle to go back for it then, so the new system may well mean more people will actually use their discounts??:)

Drink/Cocktail napkins no longer have the RCI logo.

No ice bucket in the cabins - only on request.

Just plain refused - First time I heard a flat "NO" on RCI ...

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs?

What have you seen?

On the Allure:

Logo were on napkins in the D lounge

Ice requests have been the policy for the past 3 years

Alcohol was flowing quite freely in the D lounge. As a matter of fact, we had to refuse add'l alcohol from being served to us. Remember, if RCL wanted to save, they would not create D lounges, therefore, limit only wine and discounts on other forms of alcohol.

Top tier events, from my recollections, have always held on one of the formal nights. Our top tier event on the Allure was held in the Amber Theatre and champagne, wines, etc. was flowing.

Enjoying this informative thread.

We recently cruised another line due to cost. Got what we paid for.

Back to RCCL next time.

While I will be missing the coupon books because I read everything, might I clarify that any discounts are pre-loaded @ embarkation yet we would have something to tell us what those are?

I take advantage of grocery coupons as well 😃

Enjoying this informative thread.

We recently cruised another line due to cost. Got what we paid for.

Back to RCCL next time.

While I will be missing the coupon books because I read everything, might I clarify that any discounts are pre-loaded @ embarkation yet we would have something to tell us what those are?

I take advantage of grocery coupons as well

There will be a letter in your stateroom with a list of your discounts. Look on the back of a "welcome" letter. Also, you can ask any bar tender to print your remaining coupons from the register.

Edited by clarea