Ft. Lauderdale to Miami

moki'smommy

I realize that everyone has an opinion' date=' but what do the experts think is the best way to make this trek?

Thanks.[/quote']

Best way? Private limo with snacks and drinks....most economical? Uber. Or shared shuttle. Tri-Rail is super cheap, but you have to get to the Ft Lauderdale station, which entails a cab or Uber ride, so if you have to do such anyways, might as well take it all the way to Miami. On a good day, it's about 30/35 minutes, depending on where in Miami. On a bad day, figure an hour. Fortunately, lots of routes between the two including A1A, highways, side roads, etc.

Last time I sailed out of Miami, I arrived the day before in Ft. Lauderdale and stayed in a hotel. Super Shuttle picked me up the next morning and cheaply and quickly (about 35 min.) drove me to the Port of Miami. Easy peasy.

I did it this way for 2 reasons: first, airfare from my home is much cheaper to Lauderdale than to Miami (and nonstop); secondly, hotels in Lauderdale are cheaper than in Miami. Took the shuttle back up to Ft. Lauderdale airport after the cruise.

I realize that everyone has an opinion' date=' but what do the experts think is the best way to make this trek?

Thanks.[/quote']

I can advise what we did in Nov. 2016 after we cruise.

We are going from Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale /ship to MIA airport.

We have not cruised out of Fort Lauderdale previously.

Julie

Used SAS from POM to FLL (or area hotels) several times, no issues. One time I was the very last person to be dropped off at the airport (after being the very first picked up at the pier), so that was a very long ride with lots of stops at Lauderdale hotels. I had hours until my flight so I didn't care much, although I was slightly carsick at the end. If time was a factor I'd get a private car service or uber.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by AdoraBelle

I-95, with SunPass for the express lanes.

Yes we did the same at the end of one of our cruises it was extremely easy.

We actually hired a car across the road from the FLL Port. - budget rental on 17th Street. Nearly in walking distance from pier 2 or 4.

We handed it in at Orlando airport when we finally flew home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jackieo

Tri-Rail is super cheap, but you have to get to the Ft Lauderdale station, which entails a cab or Uber ride, so if you have to do such anyways, might as well take it all the way to Miami.
Not true. There's a Tri-Rail shuttle bus to and from FLL to the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport Tri-Rail Station--the last time I took it, it was free.

Are you flying in the day of the cruise or spending one or more nights? Often a 1-way rental (picking up at one airport and returning near the other cruise port) isn't any more expensive than a standard car rental. We have done this both directions many times. Doesn't typically make sense unless you're spending a night or more though.

There are many options (we love the post about getting a Limo) and its a relatively easy trek. Personally, we prefer to simply summon Uber. It does not cost much more then the private transfer companies. and with Uber they come and you leave. With some of the transfer services you will wait around (for another party) or trek to 1 or more other hotels while they get others and fill their van.

Hank

i can also recommend sas. i had a mildly odd situation where i actually flew in a week early because i have family in palm beach and rented a car. so i wasn't flying in i was just returning a car. they got back to me immediately to confirm and explain where i would pick them up. we returned the car and the van happened to be right where we were from a drop off and picked us up early.

at disembarkation we had an issue where there w a thunderstorm and the mooring lines became loose so they stopped for about an hour. wasn't a problem for sas, they had a van waiting when we finally got off the ship.

also tbh, driving in miami is so annoying, and they changed up all of the exchanges and made some section of the road toll so i preferred letting the van drive us up to fll and then i rented a car to get back to family. driving in miami just sucks. i did look at renting a car at the budget office a few blocks away from port of miami, but it was so much more to rent there and return at a different location that it made more sense to van up to fll and rent from there.

Not true. There's a Tri-Rail shuttle bus to and from FLL to the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport Tri-Rail Station--the last time I took it, it was free.

But the post is about leaving from the ship, so transportation would be needed from the ship to Tri-Rail.

We rented a car at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, drove to Miami, were able to stop and pick up wine and sundries at a local CVS, turned the car in at the drop off close to the piers and they shuttled us to the pier. It was less expensive than two of us purchasing shuttle tickets plus we had the ability to pick up our 2 bottles of wine plus other goodies for the cruise.