Is it wrong....

... that I

a) am looking forward to Dynamic Dining so that I don't have to pack my suit, leaving more space in the suitcase to buy more gifts and souvenirs (aka tat)

b) wish that I could access the Cruise Compass via my phone / iPod / Tablet (other devices are available) rather than having to refer to the Cruise Compass?

c) be treated by other cruisers as an equal rather than a tier?

d) would like to see one day D+ and above stop seeing themselves as 2nd class citizens because they don't get preferential treatment in the Concierge Lounge, or can't queue jump because they didn't book the entertainment in advance?

e) would like to see all Cabanas in Haiti available to book by all cruisers and that there is no private area for Suites and above?

f) would like to have a more time in a port to explore the areas that I couldn't do otherwise?

g) would love to see the back of the so called pro photographers who can't take a decent shot to save their own lives?

or am I on my own on this?

Edited by novicetraveller

... that I

a) am looking forward to Dynamic Dining so that I don't have to pack my suit, leaving more space in the suitcase to buy more gifts and souvenirs (aka tat)

I agree. I think "formal night" is a silly, contrived and terribly dated concept on a cruise ship. I certainly am comfortable in a suit or tuxedo, but I don't go to the same restaurant in my tux that I went to in khakis and a golf shirt the night before!

b) wish that I could access the Cruise Compass via my phone / iPod / Tablet (other devices are available) rather than having to refer to the Cruise Compass?

Interesting thought. Personally, I don't mind just tearing out the relevant sheet and sticking it in my pocket or my bag.

I think people obsess about this way too much- bot the "haves" and the "have-nots". The Concierge Lounge and Diamond Lounge are totally overrated in my opinion. They remind me of airport lounges. I spend enough time in those as it is, I have no desire to do so on a cruise ship.

d) would like to see one day D+ and above stop seeing themselves as 2nd class citizens because they don't get preferential treatment in the Concierge Lounge, or can't queue jump because they didn't book the entertainment in advance?

Again, I fail to see why anyone cares about this issue one way or the other.

e) would like to see all Cabanas in Haiti available to book by all cruisers and that there is no private area for Suites and above?

Sorry, nope. There are many nice facilities on Labadee. But I've spent a small fortune on a family vacation with several suites. I appreciated that there were some extra offerings available as part of the premium price I paid for my vacation.

f) would like to have a more time in a port to explore the areas that I couldn't do otherwise?

ABSOLUTELY! I think on Allure last month, we were in Nassau for about 45' LOL!

g) would love to see the back of the so called pro photographers who can't take a decent shot to save their own lives?

The back? Huh?

Nope. I agree with a lot of it. Not everything though...

I don't necessarily see formal nights as silly, but I've done it now on all the cruises I have been on, and I can't see the appeal of it any more.

The reason for making it digital isn't for saving paper, but to allow me to see the compass on the move on a portal device so that I could possibly add it to my mobile / portable device calendar so that I could be alerted to the event rather than having to rely on a piece of paper.

Regarding points C and D, I see it more on Cruise Critic than in person, but there are tier snobs out there.

I see your point regarding E, but from what I have seen, the only real benefit is the upgraded lunch, which doesn't benefit those who are vegetarian, unless you request the food in advance.

Regarding F, Nassau is an underrated port, and I think it warrants more time, even if it means getting back to Ft Lauderdale an hour or so later.

For G... The back off as in get rid of them. On the last 2 trips on the Oasis Class ships, the pro photographers were nothing more than a point and shoot photographers. They don't check the back of the camera to see if the image is ok. It's take a shot and tell the passengers to move on.

... that I

I'd probably still pack nice enough clothes to get into the formal restaurant once or twice. I fully agree with not liking having to dedicate half a bag to dinner attire though. more when we bring the kids (like we will next year)

Would be nice but would have to come with some level of free wifi - I wouldn't pay to be able to see the cruise compass on my phone.

I've never experienced this so can't comment, but if someone feels important enough to imagine a nonexistent class structure AND make others aware of it, the problem is with them - not you. That would actually be one hell of a douchebag

I doesn't sound like seeing themselves as 2nd class citizens but envisioning entitlements that don't exist. Sounds like the same DB as above who considers ordinary cruisers as steerage.

I'm fine with perks for suite guests

It would be nice sometimes, but I assume a later departure in one port often means a later arrival at the next one.

We just say no thanks and I've never though the crew carrying cameras were supposed to be pro photographers

not entirely

... that I

Won't be so bold as to say you "are on your own with this," but as to your "am I wrong?" No. No one is "wrong" about how they like to cruise. We all have opinions, and I, for one, am certainly happy to share mine.

a. You don't have to pack a suit now. No one gets kicked out of the MDR for not dressing in Formal, and "Smart Casual" (Semi-formal) is all but dead. Plus the Specialty dining venues are always casual (the new "smart casual"). BUT, are you going to complain if you can't eat in Grande as it is a "Formal Only" restaurant? I am looking forward to Dynamic Dining too. But partly so we can choose Formal and enjoy an elegant evening among others who want an elegant evening.

b. Agree wholeheartedly! Having the Cruise Compass available electronically is a great idea

c. Not sure I even understand this comment. How are you "treated as a tier?" If you mean boarding priority or access to Diamond or Concierge lounges, well, that is a "reward" to the most loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers. It is designed to bring people back to RCCL and, thus, create greater profits. Hotels do it, airlines do it, supermarkets do it, etc. It is a very effective marketing plan. So, if that's what you are referring to, then no change.

d. I am D+ and have NEVER felt "2nd class." I've always had great treatment in the Concierge AND Diamond lounges. I don't want to "queue jump." The "gold card" section of entertainment isn't that great anyway, and is exclusive for suite passengers. No problem, I recognize and fully support additional perks for Suite passengers. They are the most profitable passengers on board and should get special treatment. Just as "concierge floor" people get in hotels, or Business Class passengers on airlines. Sorry if you have been made to feel "2nd class," but maybe you are simply mis-reading things.

e. IMHO you are "wrong" to feel this way. Cabanas are available for all passengers. But there are also cabanas available for ONLY suite guests. Also the "private area for suites" is a great perk. I have done a suite to Labadee,and to be honest, it was wonderful having a less crowded area with better lunch and great service. Anyone can use it, they just have to be in a "gold card" suite. It is part of the "perks" justifying the higher prices. I am fully supportive in any business finding ways to charge a premium price for a premium product. You can't get "suite prices" for "inside perks." So wherever they can they give a nice, upgraded perk, to justify the high price.

f. Agree, but it would never fit into the itinerary. A ship can only go so fast and distance between ports must be accomplished in an economical manor. It costs thousands of dollars in fuel to push up the speed, also the ride can be more uncomfortable as the speed is increased. There are many factors involved in time in port. They all have HUGE impact on cost. I use the cruises partly to find ports I want to return to either on another cruise or for a few days.

g. We have cruised enough to be "over" the whole picture thing. We get 2 free pictures per cruise (D+), so we usually get a boarding picture, then look at others. I don't care much either way. When they ask to take our picture we often just say no and they move on. Sometimes we've really gotten some good shots. But for first time cruisers, or special cruises, people really like all the pics. So on this one, I don't care enough to worry about it. Not wrong or right on this one.

As I said, we all have opinions. I don't think you are right or wrong, just your opinion. Probably lot's more coming. :)

Edited by papaflamingo

Won't be so bold as to say you "are on your own with this," but as to your "am I wrong?" No. No one is "wrong" about how they like to cruise. We all have opinions, and I, for one, am certainly happy to share mine.

a. You don't have to pack a suit now. No one gets kicked out of the MDR for not dressing in Formal, and "Smart Casual" (Semi-formal) is all but dead. Plus the Specialty dining venues are always casual (the new "smart casual"). BUT, are you going to complain if you can't eat in Grande as it is a "Formal Only" restaurant? I am looking forward to Dynamic Dining too. But partly so we can choose Formal and enjoy an elegant evening among others who want an elegant evening.

Regarding the Formal nights, as it stands, I still pack my suit, but I somewhat feel it's dated. I want to be able to go to the dinning room and eat something and then leave without the dressing up. I won't go far as saying going to dinner in shorts and flip flops are ok, but a more relaxed attire is something I would welcome. I won't be going to the formal venues when the Dynamic Dining comes is rolled out.

b. Agree wholeheartedly! Having the Cruise Compass available electronically is a great idea

:)

c. Not sure I even understand this comment. How are you "treated as a tier?" If you mean boarding priority or access to Diamond or Concierge lounges, well, that is a "reward" to the most loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers. It is designed to bring people back to RCCL and, thus, create greater profits. Hotels do it, airlines do it, supermarkets do it, etc. It is a very effective marketing plan. So, if that's what you are referring to, then no change.

I have come across a few passengers on board some ships who thrust their levels in peoples faces and see them as more important. Don't get me wrong here, if you have paid your way, you are entitled to enjoy the benefits. But looking at the concept of loyalty that is used by airlines (for example), with British Airways, if you don't travel certain number of times with them in a year, you lose the privileges that came with the tier that you were in. Should Cruise Lines adopt something similar, or stand out from the crowd?

d. I am D+ and have NEVER felt "2nd class." I've always had great treatment in the Concierge AND Diamond lounges. I don't want to "queue jump." The "gold card" section of entertainment isn't that great anyway, and is exclusive for suite passengers. No problem, I recognize and fully support additional perks for Suite passengers. They are the most profitable passengers on board and should get special treatment. Just as "concierge floor" people get in hotels, or Business Class passengers on airlines. Sorry if you have been made to feel "2nd class," but maybe you are simply mis-reading things.

My comment about 2nd class citizen, I must confess, comes from one of the threads I have read on here about how the OP felt that they were treated as 2nd class citizens when they tried to use the CL over Suite users.

e. IMHO you are "wrong" to feel this way. Cabanas are available for all passengers. But there are also cabanas available for ONLY suite guests. Also the "private area for suites" is a great perk. I have done a suite to Labadee,and to be honest, it was wonderful having a less crowded area with better lunch and great service. Anyone can use it, they just have to be in a "gold card" suite. It is part of the "perks" justifying the higher prices. I am fully supportive in any business finding ways to charge a premium price for a premium product. You can't get "suite prices" for "inside perks." So wherever they can they give a nice, upgraded perk, to justify the high price.

I stayed in a Suite on one of my cruises on the Allure. All the perks on board the ship would have been enough for me. The private area on Haiti wasn't that great. There wasn't much in terms of Vegetarian options in the upgraded Buffet, so I felt a little disappointed in my experience.

f. Agree, but it would never fit into the itinerary. A ship can only go so fast and distance between ports must be accomplished in an economical manor. It costs thousands of dollars in fuel to push up the speed, also the ride can be more uncomfortable as the speed is increased. There are many factors involved in time in port. They all have HUGE impact on cost. I use the cruises partly to find ports I want to return to either on another cruise or for a few days.

I partly agree with what you are saying here. A lot of the visits to the port is to give a taster to what one can see at the port. I would gladly (and I accept I may be on my own on this) pay a $200 on top to spend an extra couple of hours in Jamaica, or possibly spend less time in Haiti. (This is purely an example!). Would I go back to some of the ports again and spend more time? Possibly. But with the preparation of spending $200 (give or take) extra on the cruise, it is more efficient for me to cruise than to revisit some of the ports again. I know the view is slightly selfish, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

g. We have cruised enough to be "over" the whole picture thing. We get 2 free pictures per cruise (D+), so we usually get a boarding picture, then look at others. I don't care much either way. When they ask to take our picture we often just say no and they move on. Sometimes we've really gotten some good shots. But for first time cruisers, or special cruises, people really like all the pics. So on this one, I don't care enough to worry about it. Not wrong or right on this one.

I may be on my own on this, but the photography should be either scrapped, or only be approached by the client who really want their images taken on the ship and / or ports terminal area.

As I said, we all have opinions. I don't think you are right or wrong, just your opinion. Probably lot's more coming. :)

Quite possibly more coming, and I guess some aren't going to be nice. :o

We just say no thanks and I've never though the crew carrying cameras were supposed to be pro photographers

From what I understand, the photographers are not employed directly by Royal, but by a 3rd party organisation. The photographers are paid, I believe, a salary and / or commission for every image that is sold. I consider anyone a pro if their sole or main income (i.e. more than 50%) is from photography.

Edited by novicetraveller

... that I

I am pretty much over formal nights, but not sure about dynamic dining yet. I am looking forward to reading dd reviews.

YES! I love using my iPad on the cruise for the deck plans and my reservations. It would be awesome to have the compass on there too.

Rarely do I run across this on a cruise. When I do, I simply say to the excessive bragger "Bless your heart, your mother must be proud." and move on.

Actually, this always makes me laugh when I see a grand scale hissy fit. :D

I think there are enough cabanas for non suites to book, so I am ok with the suites getting that perk. For the record, I have never booked a suite.

Nassau is the port that comes to mind. We are on the Oasis next month and 7am-2pm is too short of a port call.

I avoid them for the most part...unless I really want a nice portrait taken. They are pretty good at portraits, but not the non-staged background shots.

You are not alone...my answers are in red above.

Lisa

... that I

DD will still have the formal option each night (on Quantum class ships) at The Grande. If/as it is rolled out to other ships there will likely be a formal venue on them as well.

It is also available electronically at the information screens on all refurbished ships at each elevator lobby.

Unless you tell them how would anyone know what tier you are? And if someone is making an issue of their tier, just ignore them. You will likely never see them again anyway.

In our experience we have received equal consideration in either the Diamond Club or Concierge Lounge when visiting them or usiing the Concierge's services.

Not too many years ago Barefoot Beach was open to all and there were no Cabanas anywhere on Labadee. I don't necessarily see an issue with having that area and its associated Cabana's now being dedicated to suite guests. I guess that is a perk that comes with the premium being paid for the suite. And the Cabanas at Nellie's Beach are open to non-suite guests.

Simply a function of logistics to the next port of call in most cases and the docking costs, in particular for overnight stays. The Bermuda itinerary, however, is one itinerary that does offer overnight stays (2 nights/3 days on one) and is a terrific itinerary.

When we have used their services I have not found them to be as bad as you indicate. And they are 3rd party contractors, not direct RCI employees. If you do a Google search you can locate their website and direct your concerns to them.

See my comments above.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In my opinion...... some right, some wrong. As far as barefoot beach in Labadee and sections of the ships venues being set aside for suite guests, I think that Royal Caribbean needs to increase the benefits for suite guests to get/stay competitive.

Regarding the Formal nights, as it stands, I still pack my suit, but I somewhat feel it's dated. I want to be able to go to the dinning room and eat something and then leave without the dressing up. I won't go far as saying going to dinner in shorts and flip flops are ok, but a more relaxed attire is something I would welcome. I won't be going to the formal venues when the Dynamic Dining comes is rolled out.

:)

I have come across a few passengers on board some ships who thrust their levels in peoples faces and see them as more important. Don't get me wrong here, if you have paid your way, you are entitled to enjoy the benefits. But looking at the concept of loyalty that is used by airlines (for example), with British Airways, if you don't travel certain number of times with them in a year, you lose the privileges that came with the tier that you were in. Should Cruise Lines adopt something similar, or stand out from the crowd?

My comment about 2nd class citizen, I must confess, comes from one of the threads I have read on here about how the OP felt that they were treated as 2nd class citizens when they tried to use the CL over Suite users.

I stayed in a Suite on one of my cruises on the Allure. All the perks on board the ship would have been enough for me. The private area on Haiti wasn't that great. There wasn't much in terms of Vegetarian options in the upgraded Buffet, so I felt a little disappointed in my experience.

I partly agree with what you are saying here. A lot of the visits to the port is to give a taster to what one can see at the port. I would gladly (and I accept I may be on my own on this) pay a $200 on top to spend an extra couple of hours in Jamaica, or possibly spend less time in Haiti. (This is purely an example!). Would I go back to some of the ports again and spend more time? Possibly. But with the preparation of spending $200 (give or take) extra on the cruise, it is more efficient for me to cruise than to revisit some of the ports again. I know the view is slightly selfish, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

I may be on my own on this, but the photography should be either scrapped, or only be approached by the client who really want their images taken on the ship and / or ports terminal area.

Quite possibly more coming, and I guess some aren't going to be nice. :o

We will still pack a suit and a nice dress to wear on formal nights-- even with dynamic dining I think there will still be be formal nights. It makes both my husband and feel great to do that.

If you've paid 2-3 times more to stay at a suite, there should be some perks just like there is in any other establishment such as a hotel or even a restaurant catering to businesses. I can't afford to that at this time. I "tier" class feeling comes from the attitude of the people using those perks. Some people are snobbish but you will find that anywhere not only on cruise ships -- I encountered someone who wanted to jump line over other patients due to his status in a hospital just yesterday. Not everyone is that way, we've met some really nice people at dinner.

We've stayed in a Cabana on Nellie's beach. Although more crowded, I prefer the beach at Nellie's.

I would totally agree with the ports -- not so much the caribbean since we've been to those ports numerous times but Mediterranean ports.

On our last cruise, we bought 2 photographs -- we'd rather take our own pictures. In 2005, we went as a family of 10 and made an appointment with outside of the formal night which you can do and had some awesome family pictures which still hangs on my wall. As with any profession, you will have some good and bad ones. Ask to see the image on the camera and the picture be retaken. They are there to make sure that you are satisfied.

Gail

BUT, are you going to complain if you can't eat in Grande as it is a "Formal Only" restaurant? I am looking forward to Dynamic Dining too. But partly so we can choose Formal and enjoy an elegant evening among others who want an elegant evening.

Exactly! Even though Dynamic Dining has yet to even begin, there has already been whining here from some of the "it's MY vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please" crowd that if they happen to like the menu at The Grande one evening, then they should be able to eat there without dressing up.

But looking at the concept of loyalty that is used by airlines (for example), with British Airways, if you don't travel certain number of times with them in a year, you lose the privileges that came with the tier that you were in. Should Cruise Lines adopt something similar, or stand out from the crowd?

Sorry, but you're incorrect. As I hit various levels on AA over the years, I was made Lifetime Gold and then Lifetime Platinum. I'm no longer traveling heavily for business as I used to, but will be able to continue to enjoy the Platinum perks for the rest of my life, just like my RCI level perks.

Now I'm confused. When you were in a suite you felt the private suite area on Labadee "wasn't that great" and disappointed you, BUT you feel it's not fair if you go back as a non-suite guest and not have access to that "not great, disappointing" place?

Edited by LetsGetWet!

... that I

I agree. I'm also in the camp that feels that formal nights are indeed an outdated concept, and totally contrived for the sole purpose of selling photographs.

Disney Cruise Line has this now. It's great. In fact, it basically allows you to see the "Navigator" (Disney's version of the Compass), for future days as well (including the menus in the MDR).

I think this is an issue more with fellow passengers, than with the cruises line and its employees.

It would be nice to get more time in most ports. For example, St. Thomas...if you want to go to St John, after factoring in the time to get back and forth, it doesn't leave a lot of time in between to enjoy yourself.

My wife is a picture nut, so we always end up getting the package with the disc and all prints, so yeah, it's a little disappointing that some of the pictures aren't great quality.

my responses above in red...

Edited by mcd2745

... that I

I stopped bring a suit after my Navigator cruise. Been there done that, white shirt and tie works as long as I don't are about sitting with the Captain.

Sounds good for many people, I'm untethered from my electronics on a cruise, but that is my choice

You specifically said other cruisers. This hasn't been a problem for me ever.

e) would like to see all Cabanas in Haiti available to book by all cruisers and that there is no private area for Suites and above? I'm in complete agreement with you there. I don't mind behind the scenes perks for upper tier and suite guest, but I don't care for the first off the ship or reserved areas that take away from others. I loved Labadee in my visits in 2006 and 2008. I enjoyed barefoot beach, but not its an exclusive club. I would pay that cabana fee on a vacation maybe.

f) would like to have a more time in a port to explore the areas that I couldn't do otherwise? I've had cruises where the time in port (Nassau and San Juan) were too short. Other cruises you may find with better timing.

?

My comments in red.

... that I

If this is important check out some of the smaller cruise lines such as Azamara. Most port stays are much later and some are overnight.

My two cents...

Regarding Dynamic Dining and "The Grande", it is ultimately the fare-paying public that will determine whether the "formal-only" requirements sticks. If RCL gets enough complaints, or people continually show up in non-formal wear insisting to be let in, RCL will inevitably cave to the desires of the masses.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. A corporate entity can only stay in business by catering to the desires of the Customer.

My two cents...

Regarding Dynamic Dining and "The Grande", it is ultimately the fare-paying public that will determine whether the "formal-only" requirements sticks. If RCL gets enough complaints, or people continually show up in non-formal wear insisting to be let in, RCL will inevitably cave to the desires of the masses.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. A corporate entity can only stay in business by catering to the desires of the Customer.

You're likely right. Fortunately, even with formal nights for all, the large majority of guests willingly follow the minimum suggested dress. I'm confident that will continue to be the case with Dynamic Dining and The Grande. I don't think we'll see "the masses" show up at The Grande demanding to be let in with casual attire. The "it's MY vacation and I'll wear whatever the hell I want to" contingent here on CC is a small but very vocal minority, and an even smaller minority aboard ship.

My two cents...

Exactly. The dress suggestion for The Grande is already more relaxed than the current suggestion for formal nights and there were rumors floating around that it might even be relaxed even more.

Totally agree:)

that would be great!

I've never had any problems with this.

I just turned diamond status. I have noticed that while in the diamond lounge a few "holier than thou" attitudes, but I just smile and continue on my way ;)

I'm ok with the suite guest getting this perk. I've not been in a suite either btw.

Absolutely!

also agree with this one. I never stand in line to pose for a pic that I know is going to look ridiculous.

Exactly. The dress suggestion for The Grande is already more relaxed than the current suggestion for formal nights and there were rumors floating around that it might even be relaxed even more.

How is the suggestion worded. Is a blazer, slacks and tie acceptable?

How is the suggestion worded. Is a blazer, slacks and tie acceptable?

Im looking for the exact wording now but as memory serves me, that would be perfectly acceptable and even a little more than their current suggestion. :)

... that I

On our last cruise I told my husband and son they didn't need to bother bringing a jacket, they both decided they wanted to bring one. Personally don't care what you bring/wear as long as it is respectable clothing.

Another who likes to unhook from technology while on a cruise. Would much rather have a small piece of paper in my pocket than a bulky cell phone or ipad.

c & d - have never experienced either. Just turned diamond on our last cruise so we will see if anything changes

I have no problem with those who paid more for their cabin to have access to special areas.

all depends on the port. However, we often book our cruises based on itinerary not just the ship so take the time in port into account before booking.

We have never found the photographers to be annoying. If you don't want a picture a simple no thanks usually does the trick. We have also had some great family shots taken over the years. I don't personally have an issue with them being there as long as they don't bother me. On our last cruise we took 1 picture when boarding, and did not buy it. Don't even remember be asked to take any other pictures, we just walked by the stations on the ship and at the port.

a slightly different perspective in red. You are not right or wrong on your responses as I am not either as well. Just our opinions. Glad there are options in this world for all of us.

Edited by akcruz

My two cents...

I think the real test will be if The Grande is only half-full every night because most people don't want to dress up.

I can certainly see the first and last nights being at least half-empty. Even if you want to dress up and eat at The Grande, do you want to plan to do it on embarkation day? What if there is a snafu with your luggage? Likewise, on the last night. Do you then want to have to keep all that (at least for men) bulky formalwear in your carry-on(s) to walk off the ship with in the morning? So I wouldn't be surprised if they relaxed the dress code on those nights.