1st overnight flight to rome - any tips?

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

Hubby & I doing overnight flight from Toronto (Canada) to Rome (Oct. 18th). Will arrive next day at 1 pm. Then taking train to Civi before cruise on Oct. 20th.

Does anyone have any tips or advice - especially how to arrive in half decent condition? Sleeping on the plane? Thinking - I won't be washing my face & putting on the jammies so how will it be the next day. Maybe I shouldn't wear makeup??

Is it better to get an aisle seat to be able to get up & around easily?

Thanks all!

NJ :)

I prefer aisle seats because you don't have to climb over anybody (though of course the downside is that people have to climb over YOU). For overnight flights, I wear glasses instead of contact lenses, and wear comfortable clothing that doesn't wrinkle, including a hoodie so that I can pull the hood up for a little more darkness/sound muffling. If you need darkness or quiet to sleep, consider a cloth eyeshade and/or earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. In the morning, before the plane lands, I run to the lavatory to put in my contact lenses and a little makeup. As soon as I am able at the hotel, I bathe and change clothes.

We always try to take the overnight flights when possible. There is no special trick really, if you think you can sleep have a glass of wine and conk out for a few hours it will make the time go.

There are movies to watch, games to play in the console in front of your seat. You will have dinner served about an hour after you're airborne. You can follow a little icon of your plane as it inches across the ocean to Europe, that's always fun to see how many hours are left.

It will be a nine or ten hour flight, read, sleep, watch movies and relax.

Jonathan

I'm flying to Rome this Friday. I've done it before. I found that seat by the window is better for sleeping. I used to do the aisle seat but could never get comfortable. Window seat you can lean against the wall with your pillow. I also bring one of those neck pillows. Really helps. I take Tylenol PM also. Try to doze off right after dinner. I have ear plugs and blindfolds. Best bet is not to wear makeup and then in the morning before landing go to restroom to wash up and put makeup on:)

Have a great time!

This isn't specifically on the flight... that purely depends on you, the people around you, and how well you sleep through distractions.

I would HIGHLY suggest finding Ron in Rome on the web, just google it.. He's a guy, not a company or business, that just helps Americans & Canuckistanians figure out how to get around Rome. His tips were insanely valuable to us when we went over. We were floored with how well everything we did went compared to a few others we met on the ship. I credit Mr. Ron with that. A lot of people on this forum mention him often.

In my tote bag, that easily fits under the seat, I have a neck pillow, eyeshades, make-up bag, antiseptic wipes AND baby wipes, snacks, bottle of water (bought after passing through security) and a pair of socks (and of course any medications). I wear a hoodie (even though I'm 62) because sometimes the person sitting next to be has the little fan thing going, and I get chilly if I fall asleep on a plane. I wipe the tray and seat with my antiseptic wipe, and take my melantonin (always try at home FIRST). It doesn't interfere with meds. I set my watch on Rome time. I slip my sandals off and my socks on. After the meal, I get out my pillow, eye-shade and ear buds and try to get some sleep. I prefer an aisle seat. I like to get up and stretch or walk up and down the aisle to keep circulation going OR go to the bathroom without climbing over everyone. I keep the sandals nearby to use to go to the bathroom. I try to beat the crowd to the bathroom before we get close to landing. I wash my face with the baby wipe and my hands with an antiseptic. I apply a small amount of make-up, brush through my hair and settle in and watch the long line of others waiting on the bathroom. An overnight flight, for me, is the easiest of all. I can get about 4-5 hours sleep on a trip to Rome and arrive without the red-eye hangover. There are 5 of us going again in June. Some find it easy to sleep on the plane and others find it impossible. That's key to how you feel when you arrive.

Hi,

Hubby & I doing overnight flight from Toronto (Canada) to Rome (Oct. 18th). Will arrive next day at 1 pm. Then taking train to Civi before cruise on Oct. 20th.

Does anyone have any tips or advice - especially how to arrive in half decent condition? Sleeping on the plane? Thinking - I won't be washing my face & putting on the jammies so how will it be the next day. Maybe I shouldn't wear makeup??

Thanks all!

I don't like the aisle because you have to get up when other want out and people walking up and down the aisle wake me if I am trying to sleep. I have a hard enough time sleeping on planes as it is. I prefer a window seat, I can lean my head against the wall of the plane. Plus you may get lucky and not have someone in the middle seat. It is a slim chance but a chance. It worked for us on our last oversea flight. I take a benadryl just to make it easier to sleep. Like the other poster said comfortable clothing to wear. I wear something like yoga pants and a soft cotton knit shirt. Forget the make-up, over night make-up looks worse than no make-up at all. Just wash up and put some on when you land. You should see how everyone looks when you land. Think bed head on everyone. If you can afford it, get a seat with a little extra leg room. I think Delta calls theirs economy comfort. The few inches make a big difference when you're trying to sleep.

No matter how tired you are when you get to Rome DO NOT sleep. Stay up as long as you can to adjust to the time change. It can make for a miserable first day but will pay off later as you will adjust to the time change faster.

Hi,

Thanks all!

I never wear make-up when I fly. I wear something that I can get comfy in. Because I am typically cold on all planes, that usually includes some type of pull-over fleece.

Try and get some rest on the flight. A lot of airlines give you a mini toiletry case that which may include an eye mask, toothbrush, comb, compression socks.

I second the "don't take a nap once you get there." See if you can push through until at least the early evening. That way you can go to sleep for 8 hours give or take, and when you wake up it will be their morning. It usually helps us to adjust to the time difference.

Well even though I rarely sleep on the plane, I still get into the jammies ASAP and while changing have the flight attendants prepare my bed. I don´t care much about Airline Food, so I usually eat before Boarding and lay down ASAP. If available I ask for my shower to be ready about an hour before landing.

Hopefully, you'll have two seats, DH and I did when we flew to Rome so it was just the two of us.

My suggestions: bottle of water, sound cancelling headphones, neck pillow (I have the deflatable one), eye mask, compression socks and a Maple Leafs hoodie (yes, I'm a fan LOL). 30 minutes before the flight I take one Gravol. After dinner I take a second Gravol, blow up my pillow, put on the eye mask and hoodie and sleep the best I can. I also change my watch to local time in Rome at 'wheels up' and when I wake up and the time on my watch says I should stay awake, I stay awake.

Have a good flight and a great cruise!!

from JFK to BCN we have a pair of seats to ourselves. I usually fiddle around until dinner (such as it is) then take a Vicks Nyquil and read until I pass-out. I wear a loose pair of chinos, very loose boxers, UA compression knee highs, funky t-shirt and a hoodie. I also take a pair of those sock/slippers they hand out at the hospital for roaming around the plane. Wife wears loose chino's, support hose, t-shirt and hoodie. Wife will have foam earplugs and I'll just turn my hearing aids off. setting our watches to local time and wiping everything down is standard procedure. also, we never handle or use anything in the seatback.

I shower and put on fresh clothes right before I leave for the airport - helps not feeling so grungy sleeping in your clothes. I am a picky eater so I bring aboard a sandwich, chips and a couple of cookies. I put some mindless movies/tv shows on my Ipad. Good Bose earphones are one of my best investments.

Lots of good advice here.

In my tote bag, that easily fits under the seat, I have a neck pillow, eyeshades, make-up bag, antiseptic wipes AND baby wipes, snacks, bottle of water (bought after passing through security) and a pair of socks (and of course any medications).

Eyeshades are a key. Helps to block out ambient light and movements of people.

I don't like the aisle because you have to get up when other want out and people walking up and down the aisle wake me if I am trying to sleep. I have a hard enough time sleeping on planes as it is. I prefer a window seat, I can lean my head against the wall of the plane....

No matter how tired you are when you get to Rome DO NOT sleep. Stay up as long as you can to adjust to the time change. It can make for a miserable first day but will pay off later as you will adjust to the time change faster.

Good reasons for window seats mentioned above. But another is that so many people grab the seatbacks of every aisle seat as they move along the aisle. Very hard to get sleep when this constantly happens. Very easy to do stretching exercises with your legs and feet from the seat. I might get up once or max twice during a 7-8 hour redeye flight.

I agree about not sleeping until as late as possible upon arrival. Also, adjust your clock at least a day before you are departing and try to adjust your bedtime even slightly to compensate for the time difference.

Noise cancelling headphones. I fly a lot and they changed my life. It is amazing how much background noise they filter out, even if you are not actually listening to anything through them. Makes a long flight a much more bearable experience. I too have Bose.

Noise-cancelling headphones and eyeshades are probably the two articles of carry on that will help you most. Amazing how they both help tremendously.

Be very aware of the time at your destination and even forgo a meal on the plane if need be start adjusting to the time zone. Heck, I have done without meals in business class in order to get more sleep and to adjust to the time zone at my destination.

It really helps to make an effort to conquer jetlag. I have taken 4-night trips across 12 time zones with little effect from jet lag.

I like to do some sort of "going to bed" routine--it makes it easier for me to sleep.

I switch from shoes into slipper socks (as a PP said, keep shoes handy for the bathroom), brush my teeth (this is the biggest thing that I have not seen mentioned, that really seems to help me), "wash" my face with a washcloth and water (I pack a washcloth in a baggie, so it does not get everything else wet after I use it), run a brush through my hair, etc.

I agree with others that noise cancelling headphones are the best. Ear plugs are better than nothing though.

I also agree to bring a hoodie or other warm top--it can be very cold on the planes.

One other thing that I think helps--try to get a lot of exercise the day of your flight. hit the gym, or go for a hike, etc. I think it helps your body wind down an sleep if you have used up energy that day. I try to get twice as much exercise on a travel day as on a normal one.

Hi,

Thinking - I won't be washing my face & putting on the jammies so how will it be the next day. Maybe I shouldn't wear makeup??

When I see the flight attendants start getting the carts ready for the arrival snack/beverage service, I head to the lavatory and wash my face before they get out in the aisle with them and block the way. I wash my face with one of those Olay face cloths. They are activated with water, disposable, and come individually wrapped in little foil packets, so very easy to slip one in my carry on. I also brush my teeth, and find that these two things really help me feel refreshed, whether or not I've slept well.

In an effort not to hold up additional pax who may be waiting for the lavatory, I do NOT spend any additional time in there applying make up. I wait til I'm back at my seat, and I use the mirror from my compact to apply minimal make-up. Alternatively you could wait and use and airport restroom counter/mirror.

In line with what others have said I also do the following: dress in loose, comfy layers, bring socks to put on when I take my shoes off on the plane, use a travel pillow and eyeshade and noise-reducing headphones, and have a glass of wine or a cocktail along with a starchy meal to make me sleepier.

I truly think flights to Europe are too short. By the time you get dinner, you only have 4-5 hours before they wake you up for breakfast. So that means your max sleep is 4-5 hours...but it's not very good sleep. I love going to Asia or Australia when I can get a full 8 hours (or more...my max is 11).

So, on flights to Europe, I stay up very late the night before and try to get as little sleep as possible, so that I am already tired by the time the flight leaves. I also try to take the latest flight possible. Combine that with a couple drinks, and ZzZzZzZz. You'll still be a mess the next day with only 4-5 hours of mediocre sleep, but it's better than zero. I then stay up until around 9pm the next night (first night in Europe) and sleep in a bit the next morning if possible. With that, I am on Europe time with no issues.

That's my method at least.

Well even though I rarely sleep on the plane, I still get into the jammies ASAP and while changing have the flight attendants prepare my bed. I don´t care much about Airline Food, so I usually eat before Boarding and lay down ASAP. If available I ask for my shower to be ready about an hour before landing.
Sounds like first class on Emirates. Or was there supposed to be sarcastic smiley that I missed?
also, we never handle or use anything in the seatback.
I would hope that you would at least read the safety card. And if airsick, the bag might be useful.

Why not just bring a box of latex gloves with you? Sounds like it would fit right in.

I truly think flights to Europe are too short. By the time you get dinner, you only have 4-5 hours before they wake you up for breakfast. So that means your max sleep is 4-5 hours...but it's not very good sleep. I love going to Asia or Australia when I can get a full 8 hours (or more...my max is 11).

You seem to value the food over sleep and conquering jetlag, which is fine. I never have the breakfast on the flight and as said above, I often forgo the dinner too. Easy to get food before the flight and if the flight leaves the USA later in the evening, say 8-9pm or later, most people will already have eaten or could have eaten.

So on a 7 hour flight from JFK to LHR one can easily get 6 hours of rest. Coming from further west or south and flying further east in Europe will only increase that amount.

Note too that many of these tips apply to redeye flights. Strategies for conquering jetlag on daytime flights can be totally different. The key is trying to do on the plane and before you board what you might be doing in the time zone you are arriving at.

You seem to value the food over sleep and conquering jetlag, which is fine.

In economy class, I've just found it difficult for me to sleep while the food service is ongoing. Too loud, too bright (even with eye covering)...I just can't do it. There have been times I don't eat, but still just can't fall asleep in that environment. In business class, where it's a bit more comfy, I have done it before...just not in the back of the plane.

Lots of them.

Starting two weeks before my flight I begin setting the alarm 10 minutes earlier each day, and going to bed 10 minutes earlier each evening. By the time I arrive in Europe, I'm already two hours closer to their time zone.

The night before I travel I stay up to my regular bedtime, but still get up early. I have a good meal 3-5 hours before my flight time. I get on the aircraft and am full and tired.

I have a neck pillow which I bring whenever I am flying. I keep it in a plastic bag with a lavender sachet, which is a very calming scent. I can smell it (only) as I'm snuggled up to the pillow, but no one around me can smell it. (I've inquired)

Once we take off I pull my tote out from under the seat in front of me and use it as a foot rest. I bring a pashmina and use it as a blanket.

I do not like eye masks, dim lights don't bother my sleep. I do use earphones with soft music that relaxes me.

I have one, maybe two glasses of wine, pick at dinner, and then settle in. I can usually get a solid five hours--enough to make it until (;00 or 10:00 pm in my destination. I get up the next morning and am on the appropriate time zone.

I am flying to Tahiti next year and plan on doing two things. First, I'm going to visit friends in LA for a few days before I take the overseas flight. I will try to sleep in on those days and stay up later. (My friends are night owls, so this will help!) I'll sleep on the flight and book a day room and take a nap for only an hour or two when I arrive. I'll stay up that night until around 10:00 pm, and get up at 6:00 the next morning, which should have me on "island time."

I wear minimal make up and use one of those makeup remover towelettes and apply some face cream before I go to sleep, and then again when I wake up. I then put on a bit of makeup. I brush my teeth in the lav--but use bottled water--the water from the lavs faucets isn't potable. I travel in yoga pants and a t-shirt with a light yoga jacket or sweater over them. I bring along a pair of fuzzy socks to keep my feet warm.

We flew Alitalia from Toronto to Rome last Sept. They changed our seats last minute....had DH and I on the aisle--in different rows. He spilled red wine all over himself, so not sitting next to him was a good thing. Then, the steward had a fit because I got up to take medication in the middle of the night. Never again!!

My question is Ambien. I do the the melatonin and I am able to sleep. I put the eye mask over my glasses, or put the blanket over my head. The flight coming back is what kills me. Would it be safe to take an ambien---I have never used it before. So many people sleep...I wonder what their secret is.

I would NEVER take a prescription medication for the first time on an airplane--particularly on an overseas flight!

Coming back we left around 6:00 pm on a very delayed flight. Had we left on time it would have been easier, we would have watched movies, read, and napped a bit, gone to bed when we arrived in the US, and been on US time the next day. Instead we landed at 1:30 am and I had a 6:00 am connecting flight the next morning. Total jet lag.

I would NEVER take a prescription medication for the first time on an airplane--particularly on an overseas flight!

Coming back we left around 6:00 pm on a very delayed flight. Had we left on time it would have been easier, we would have watched movies, read, and napped a bit, gone to bed when we arrived in the US, and been on US time the next day. Instead we landed at 1:30 am and I had a 6:00 am connecting flight the next morning. Total jet lag.

I agree---I wouldn't take it without trying it at home for a few times. I was wondering if anyone used it!

We flew Alitalia from Toronto to Rome last Sept. .....The flight coming back is what kills me. Would it be safe to take an ambien---

Going from the US/Canada TO Europe you will generally be on a redeye. But coming back you'll typically be on a daytime flight, so I wouldn't worry about sleeping on the way back. Read, watch movies, do crosswords, whatever floats your boat to pass the time.

Archived