Why don't all the cruiselines do "X"?

westcoasttech

What "thing" do you think other cruiselines should adopt?

I'm definitately not suggesting all cruiselines should be replicas of each other - but I have come across a couple of things on one line or another which makes me wish that other cruiselines had the same or similar idea.

For a start, the Vibe Beach Club on new NCL ships. Having recently tried a NCL "new" ship after a long absence from NCL, I discovered the pleasure of having a quiet, adult only area for just a small extra fee! I know on other lines you may get a private area if you are a suite guest, but as these will never be within my financial reach (lottery win exception!), I really appreciated knowing I had a "reserved" lounger available without having to do battle with the lounger hogs! I would definitely pay a little extra to have that on a RCCL ship!

And in return, I wish other cruiselines would get with the program and offer double loyalty points when a solo has paid double the price (like RCCL does)!! I brought this up with the loyalty ambassador on NCL and was told that NCL doesn't want to "follow" other cruiselines, they want to do their own thing (a bit of a lame "stock" answer IMO)!

I'm not trying to flame any particular cruiseline, but there are things that are just so obviously good ideas, you wonder why they don't catch on...

What "good idea" would you like to see spread???

NCL got that from Princess, I think, along with the jumbotrons.

After NCL launched it's choice promotion I heard a commercial for free specialty dining on Princess.

Everybody adds in more on board bells & whistles based on what Royal Caribbean offers.

Everybody copied NCLs anytime dining in some format.

They already do so much alike, looking for more seems redundant but I, personally, would be thrilled if they all got Princess's pizza ovens. The dreck that passes for pizza on most cruises is almost insulting. I have had tastier frozen pizza.

Edited by trish1c

For us, we won't take a longish (longer than 7 days) cruise on a ship without a self-service laundry. Princess, Carnival, and a few others (I think Cunard) do have these. I know that many don't want to do laundry on board, but for some of us, we want to take less clothing and some of us don't want to use the ship's laundry. For my family, we have a family member who's allergic to regular detergent and my daughter and I have some clothing items that could shrink in a heavy duty dryer.

It would be nice if all ships have fridges in all of the passenger cabins, too.

The Silver Galapagos gave us a water bottle upon boarding. You just took it to anyplace on the ship that served food or beverage, and they'd refill it with filtered water. I'm sure that they did this because of the environmental rules in the Galapagos, but it's a great idea for any cruise ship. Imagine the plastic waste that would be saved by not having to choose between bottled water and bad-tasting ship water.

I don't want all cruise lines to offer what others have.

I want choices.

If I don't like what one line does, I want the ability to go somewhere that does not do what it is I might not care for.

If you like NCL's beach club, great. :) Sail NCL ships that have it. :)

I mean no disrespect just that its great you found a cruise line that offers something special for you.

The Silver Galapagos gave us a water bottle upon boarding. You just took it to anyplace on the ship that served food or beverage' date=' and they'd refill it with filtered water. I'm sure that they did this because of the environmental rules in the Galapagos, but it's a great idea for any cruise ship. Imagine the plastic waste that would be saved by not having to choose between bottled water and bad-tasting ship water.[/quote']

I find the taste of tap water on most of the major cruise lines to be fine. I'm happy filling a bottle from the tap. :o HAL water tastes better to me than lots of the bottled.

I agree with having self-serve laundries....I like doing a load of clothes! It's not like I'm beating them on a rock or something!

Ship laundries are exorbitant and I don't want my clothes in commercial washers or dryers - too much detergent and the dryers are too hot.

Also, stop shrinking or eliminating ship libraries.

Edited by Bookish Angel

What "thing" do you think other cruiselines should adopt?

I'm definitately not suggesting all cruiselines should be replicas of each other - but I have come across a couple of things on one line or another which makes me wish that other cruiselines had the same or similar idea.

For a start, the Vibe Beach Club on new NCL ships. Having recently tried a NCL "new" ship after a long absence from NCL, I discovered the pleasure of having a quiet, adult only area for just a small extra fee! I know on other lines you may get a private area if you are a suite guest, but as these will never be within my financial reach (lottery win exception!), I really appreciated knowing I had a "reserved" lounger available without having to do battle with the lounger hogs! I would definitely pay a little extra to have that on a RCCL ship!

And in return, I wish other cruiselines would get with the program and offer double loyalty points when a solo has paid double the price (like RCCL does)!! I brought this up with the loyalty ambassador on NCL and was told that NCL doesn't want to "follow" other cruiselines, they want to do their own thing (a bit of a lame "stock" answer IMO)!

I'm not trying to flame any particular cruiseline, but there are things that are just so obviously good ideas, you wonder why they don't catch on...

What "good idea" would you like to see spread???

I couldn't really think of a good answer to your question. I sail different ships for different things and I don't always sail for the same reason. I like that the ships offer different things so I can pick the one that best fits my needs for that vacation, which may not be the same needs I will have for my next vacation. I like having options to try different things on different ships. One thing that is a must for us, unless we are sailing with friends and/or family, on all of our cruises is anytime dining and most cruise lines offer that already.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Wish Carnival and Princess would allow you to group your pictures to go thru at the end of the cruise. Would buy some if it wasn't such a major PITA to go thru the bins

HAL allows you to group your pictures. One ship used a huge three ring binder with heavy duty sheet protectors. Another used large manilla envelopes and a bucket.

The last thing I want is for them all to be the same, but I do wsh that any offering cruises over 7 days [or even 14 days] had a laundry, even just some washers and dryers in cupboards tucked away somewhere.

I also vote for the self serve laundry, i would also add the self serve soda station. Disney had both. Although I am a huge Disneyparks fan I am not sure just those to is worth the price difference on normal sailings. but I do like those features.

I also vote for the self serve laundry, i would also add the self serve soda station. Disney had both. Although I am a huge Disneyparks fan I am not sure just those to is worth the price difference on normal sailings. but I do like those features.

I've never had a problem getting a soda and I drink a LOT of it, like equal to 20+ cans a day would be pretty average for me.

Wish Carnival and Princess would allow you to group your pictures to go thru at the end of the cruise. Would buy some if it wasn't such a major PITA to go thru the bins

HAL allows you to group your pictures. One ship used a huge three ring binder with heavy duty sheet protectors. Another used large manilla envelopes and a bucket.

That's a great idea. Maybe have little boxes labelled for each deck so you can remove your photos and stick in the appropriate one...and then be able to find it to take advantage of any package deals, or if you want to select from the best ones you're in. And when passengers can remove photos from the main gallery, other passengers will have a better chance to find theirs.

That's a great idea. Maybe have little boxes labelled for each deck so you can remove your photos and stick in the appropriate one...and then be able to find it to take advantage of any package deals' date=' or if you want to select from the best ones you're in. And when passengers can remove photos from the main gallery, other passengers will have a better chance to find theirs.[/quote']

That is a great idea. Last cruise my DMIL must have spent / wasted 3-4 hours in the photo shop.

It would be really nice if all ship's cabins/staterooms had more than one outlet. I'm guessing they're limited so that a ship's electrical system doesn't get overloaded. But, there ought to be a way to provide more than one outlet in each cabin. Then, people wouldn't have to bring power strips for battery chargers, hair dryers, etc.

Be greatfull they don't. What you see as a small convenience fee others would see as a charge for something that should be included. No way would I want Cunard to adopt some practices done on other lines nor would many of those passengers want a Cunard atmosphere. As long as cruise lines are very different we have choices. One person's paradise is another person's hell.

We have sailed Celebrity and love the convenience and ease of the beverage pkgs. I won't call them "free" by any means, based on the cruise prices, but we love the program. Are other cruise lines offering beverage pkgs, based on Celebrity's success?

We have sailed Celebrity and love the convenience and ease of the beverage pkgs. I won't call them "free" by any means, based on the cruise prices, but we love the program. Are other cruise lines offering beverage pkgs, based on Celebrity's success?

Most cruise lines offer beverage packages.

Our most used line does provide free launderettes, a kettle in each room, and no 15% on bar sales. To be honest, RCI and Celebrity provide the 2nd and third on UK sailings.

What I'd like to see is a covered pool on every ship, with plenty of seating-not just sun beds- around, where you can eat and look out at the views. I've had enough of trying to watch the views from a freezing top deck, with an under used sea screen. :(