Those "service" animals

NIATPAC29

Does it cost extra to bring a service animal or ESA animal?[/quote

The cruise line does not charge extra for service animals. However, the cost of getting the appropriate paperwork and shots for each country is quite High.

Esa, or emotional support animals are not allowed on cruise ships.

Does it cost extra to bring a service animal or ESA animal?[/quote

The cruise line does not charge extra for service animals. However, the cost of getting the appropriate paperwork and shots for each country is quite High.

Thanks, I have seen some dogs on board (that were not guide dogs) and was wondering if they may have been service dogs or ESA. Apparently they must perform some sort of function (have training for assistance) to get aboard.

Edited by MicCanberra

The problem is that, aside from legitimate and recognized service animals, there is an enormous gray area ranging from truly necessary support animals who provide real functions for their owners to simple pets whose owners claim are essential - but might just be nice to have - or even simply too expensive to put in a kennel for the duration of a cruise.

I think it is wonderful that services animals can make people's live more whole - but realize that increased use of really unnecessary "emotional support" animals will ultimately require complex governing regulation.

They are not allowed as far as the ADA is concerned, but the cruise ships accept them, because the folks lie and say they are service dogs and the cruise lines are afraid to be sued and let them on.

So the dog appears to be optional. Why go to the trouble? Leave the dog at home and push the wheelchair

If you read 'denas' comments about her son and his service dog, how in the world could you make such a comment.

Edited by SPacificbound

They are not allowed as far as the ADA is concerned, but the cruise ships accept them, because the folks lie and say they are service dogs and the cruise lines are afraid to be sued and let them on.

True, people lie and I have seen the fake Fidos onboard, but that doesn't make them service animals. Just makes their owners selfish and inconsiderate. Can you tell how I really feel about cheats? It is easy to tell real service dogs from pretend ones. Real service dogs have impeccable manners, do not bark except to alert and are not social except during play times. They lie quietly during meal times, are not fed from the table and generally are not dressed in costume. I say generally because I have seen accessories on formal nights.

You can buy a "Emotional Support Dog Kit" from $79 on the internet .

No proof of need required .

Usdogregistry.org

Seems easy to bring Fido with you anywhere now ?

Sounds like consumer fraud . . . Where are the brave, crusading AGs?

We have a housekeeping business in a high end Florida community. We only clean rental homes. We are the folks who have to make sure the house is uber clean after a pet or service animal is present. More often than you may think we get requests from folks who are concerned because their child has severe allergies to dog, cats, whatever. We take those very seriously for the safety of the guests and to insure a good vacation experience.

Unfortunately it all falls apart when people "sneak" an animal in to avoid the extra cleaning fee. I would love it if people would take a step back and realize that their choices have repercussions beyond their little world. What may seem like a simple request to bring a pet somewhere may actually be extremely complicated to pull off.

All that to say this. I support true service dogs that have been trained to serve a purpose. To those who may not need Fluffy with them all the time I would encourage you to consider a turtle or a snail, people won't give you the same dirty looks at the restaurants.

In our large dental clinic.....we have many folks that seem to manage with no service animals for their phobias of having dental surgery...with or without anesthesia but in no way would a silly little animal be allowed to be there with them to calm their frayed nerves.

Sorry....no animals and go somewhere else.

Some years ago when I was working as a Dental Hygienist I had a patient with a service animal. As I was cleaning his teeth he was bleeding in his mouth quite a bit. (Not unusual) The animal could smell his master's blood and did a lot of rumbully growling. as I was working. I did not feel threatened, but felt sorry for the animal as it was so distressed, not being able to understand why his master seemed to being injured

Some years ago when I was working as a Dental Hygienist I had a patient with a service animal. As I was cleaning his teeth he was bleeding in his mouth quite a bit. (Not unusual) The animal could smell his master's blood and did a lot of rumbully growling. as I was working. I did not feel threatened, but felt sorry for the animal as it was so distressed, not being able to understand why his master seemed to being injured

I make it a rule to never trust any animal when the owner is not around or is in stress. They behave differently and can become dangerous.

Under the ADA a kangaroo isn't a service animal.

I work at an information desk at a National Conservation Area. You would be amazed how many people have "service" chihuahuas. I wish that I could get a large service snake and train it to eat service chihuahuas.

DON

I work at an information desk at a National Conservation Area. You would be amazed how many people have "service" chihuahuas. I wish that I could get a large service snake and train it to eat service chihuahuas.

DON

What service can a Chihuahua perform.

I would be in total support of any legitimate service animal. We saw one on a Panama Canal trip (19 nights) and the tiny dog was always appropriately dressed in foofoo clothing. It was supposedly for their diabetes (two very obese people) but we would see them giving licks of their ice cream cones to their dog in the buffet. So, it was like "wait a minute...you have diabetes and need that dog to warn you about your sugars being off yet you AND the dog are eating ice cream? (feeding dogs people food on a cruise ship is supposed to be against the rules). Egads.

I encourage everyone to visit the "Cruising with a Service Dog" thread on the disability forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728&page=830

Started by Roz in 2007 it has over 800 pages and 16000+ posts and is one of the most active threads on CC. There is a wealth of information and a lot of us are lurkers who enjoy learning about these fantastic animals and their owners. There are a couple of great puppy trainers who contribute and allow us to go along on the puppy training ride.

Keith

Do you need to supply any documentation to the cruiseline when you make a booking ?

No. As stated earlier, we are asked what services the dog is trained to do and we reply with what she does which is mobility assistance and seizure alert. this is all that is required by law. The other documentation that is required is simply health certificates and import permits to clear the dog through customs both in the US and in ports visited. It is illegal for a business to ask for papers to prove an animal is a service dog.

You can buy a "Emotional Support Dog Kit" from $79 on the internet .

No proof of need required .

Usdogregistry.org

Seems easy to bring Fido with you anywhere now ?

Emotional Support dogs ARE NOT service dogs and are not covered under the ADA or allowed to go into any business or public space with a "no pets" policy. The only thing emotional support dogs can do is fly on planes and provide the owners with housing exceptions (for example they can be allowed to have an emotional support animal in an apartment or condo with a "no pets" policy, but not a hotel room or vacation rental). Emotional support dogs are not allowed to cruise.

A Chihuahua or any other small dog could be a "hearing ear" dog for the deaf - size doesn't matter for that. There are also dogs that can sense if their person is about to have a seizure.

The organization who placed our dog with us used papillons for diabetic alert and seizure alert for individuals who didn't need anything else except alert dogs. Small dogs are much easier in public and cheaper to have (food/grooming). Papillons are incredibly alert little things and don't seem to ever sleep so they are great scent alert dogs. Older teens had these types of dogs, particularly those who would be going to college, as they were much easier to have in a typical dorm room than a golden retriever! However, even the little dogs were trained with the same skill set to walk at a heel and stay under a table or chair at a restaurant although most of the teens who had them just carried them rather than risk them getting stepped on in high school halls. And feeding a service dog ANY people food AT ALL , even treats, even in the comfort of your own home is strictly forbidden.

Emotional Support dogs ARE NOT service dogs and are not covered under the ADA or allowed to go into any business or public space with a "no pets" policy. The only thing emotional support dogs can do is fly on planes and provide the owners with housing exceptions (for example they can be allowed to have an emotional support animal in an apartment or condo with a "no pets" policy, but not a hotel room or vacation rental). Emotional support dogs are not allowed to cruise.

While not allowed under law, as I an others who have posted can attest, the cruise lines take a "I'm not going to make waves" policy. Bolster this by the lack of training for shoreside and shipboard personnel on the aspects of the ADA, and you have an environment ripe for abuse.

I'm with you, that there should be a state or federal standard of training for service animals and their registration, and the ADA should be tightened up , but this last is a political minefield.