Sunburn? In Alaska? Really?

wolfpackmom

Saw my dermatologist today and mentioned that I am going to Alaska next week. She cautioned me about the altitude and advised using plenty of sunscreen to avoid sun damage to my face. She was not kidding around and was very stern in her warning.

I will make sure to apply SPF to my face, but I'm curious...have you ever heard of anyone getting a sunburn in Alaska?

If there is snow on the ground or you are on the water you get hit with a double whammy. Direct sunlight and reflected sunlight at the same time. Also take a good pair of sunglasses because the term snow blindness also applies. Lived in Alaska for a year and was sunburned often when not paying attention to what I was doing.

If there is sun+sea, or sun+snow/ice he/she who neglects sunscreen is in for a suprise.

Often in the winter I see many a skier who seem to wear with pride their burns. Temperature and latitude have nothing with less/ more sun, what matters is sun and reflection, WEAR the SCREEN!

Need to remember its not necessarily direct sunlight that burns. You can get burnt on an overcast day due to UV. It's the UV that does the damage.

If in doubt slip, slop, slap as we say here. Slip on a shirt, Slop on some sunscreen and Slap on a hat.

It was interesting to see the Eskimo sun protection masks and goggles at the Fairbanks Uni museum. Worth a visit.

Edited by lyndarra
typo