Hand washing detergent?

silly2003

OK, I bought some clothes that are easily hand washed, which I plan on doing in the sink. But what detergent to bring. I've been to two stores looking for Woolite, as I remember I used to do hand washables with that. I haven't found it yet. What are people bringing to do some hand washing?

You can find large bottles of off-brand "wool wash" at any dollar store. When travelling I transfer some to a 3 oz plastic "TSA travel bottle" (also from dollar store). Simple $2 solution. But my housemate uses the old-school solid bar of laundry soap when hand washing her intimates. And my mom swears by liquid hand soap for laundry "emergencies". So 'tis true that in a pinch just about anything is practical.

Edited by fishywood

OK, I bought some clothes that are easily hand washed, which I plan on doing in the sink. But what detergent to bring. I've been to two stores looking for Woolite, as I remember I used to do hand washables with that. I haven't found it yet. What are people bringing to do some hand washing?

I use Ivory Liquid. I repackage into a 3-4oz bottle. Depending on sink size, it doesn't take much to wash a few pairs of socks/underwear.

Stan

I use CampSuds. It is a concentrated detergent so a little goes a long way. I take the 2 oz size. The bottle is small and doesn't leak.

For those using fabric softeners you look at the washing instructions for the clothing you are washing. Many of the lightweight fabrics that wick moisture recommend not using softeners.

Shak

No need to bring any Woolite. or any other detergent. A drop or two of shampoo will work just fine. Also a drop or 2 of hair container will do the same as fabric softener.

I use shampoo or body wash provided on the ship, not to carry yet another thing. I re-wash everything at home anyway.

I'm hugely fond of the dry soap leaves commonly used for backpacking. No liquid involved if you are flying which is nice. Also very compact and lightweight. No bigger than a pack of tic-tacs.

I find 1-2 leaves works for most any sink load and washes out far better than hand soap or shampoo. Laundry detergents don't produce the copious amounts of suds that body soaps do which makes it easier to do in a confined container like a sink basin. The ones I like are From Sea to Summit. The reviews on this sort of product, regardless who sells/manufacturers, are pretty hit or miss. A lot of people think that less sudsing means less clean which isn't the case at all.

Amazon has several of their soap leaves (shampoo, body, laundry, shave, etc., you have to select from within their main listing) here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Travel-Pocket-Soaps/dp/B002OSHEVO

Or you can pick them up from REI or your fave camping store:

http://www.rei.com/product/785917/sea-to-summit-pocket-laundry-wash

I use shampoo. They usually supply it on the ships, and it's great for hand washing.