Zika Warning

jules71

Four days out from a cruise on the Reflection and everyone in our group got text messages and emails with warnings about Zika and an offer to change itineraries for anyone pregnant or planning pregnancy. Is this unusual? Is there a new warning? If not, why would they wait until 4 days out to offer to change itineraries? Really confused by this.

I received the same e mail and text for this weekend's Eclipse sailing.

We're on the same sailing I believe. But no warning recently. We did however receive details about Zika from Celebrity back in july 2015 a couple of months after we booked!

I sail on Saturday... yesterday I got an automated call, a text and TWO emails warning me of the Zika risk and encouraging me to check with the CDC. Ok, I got it, Celebrity!

I had a discussion with my PCP about Zika. She said, for a woman "your age" there are far greater risks to your health in the Caribbean than Zika. I was warned about eating/drinking off the ship and told to wear insect repellent. I also got a shot and a booster for my troubles.

Edited by MEcruzr

We're on the same sailing I believe. But no warning recently. We did however receive details about Zika from Celebrity back in july 2015 a couple of months after we booked!

I was mistaken I did not receive an e mail. I received a phone call and a text yesterday which I was asked to Acknowledge.

See you Sunday somewhere on board.

I may have you all beat - Yesterday I received a text message, an email and phone callls on both my cell and my home phone for this Sunday's cruise. I checked CDC and there doesn't seem to be anything new - probably as one person mentionned, it is Celebrity's heightened awareness and liability prevention. It did remind me to go get a travel mosquito repellent!

They do this last minute warning to remind women who may have just found out that they are pregnant to reconsider the risks. Zika is the biggest risk for that population.

Yep. Just had to cancel my 11 night May Equinox cruise cause my travelmate/best friend just announced she's pregnant. No one else I know else could go for that long of a time.

Yep. Just had to cancel my 11 night May Equinox cruise cause my travelmate/best friend just announced she's pregnant. No one else I know else could go for that long of a time.

You should've gone by yourself! It's really nice having the whole cabin all to yourself and if you're outgoing, you meet lots of other people. The Roll Call is a great way to interact with others and find new friends.

I just got back from 5 nights in San Juan. Never saw a single insect! This isn't mosquito season. That being said, I wouldn't bring my pregnant daughter there. But, if you aren't even contemplating pregnancy, I wouldn't worry.

You should've gone by yourself! It's really nice having the whole cabin all to yourself and if you're outgoing, you meet lots of other people. The Roll Call is a great way to interact with others and find new friends.

Unfortunately too much money to go by myself. Also, she still wants to do some kind of getaway in May before she's too pregnant, so we were able to just get our money back. If we end up not going at all, well it just means I can put in new countertops sooner!

Princess sent us several warnings before our cruise, too, and they put warnings in the daily newsletter if a particular port had an elevated risk. Out of 8 Caribbean ports, we saw 1 mosquito in St. John and 1 in Antigua. We slathered ourselves in big repellant and wore citronella bracelets. Seemed to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from 5 nights in San Juan. Never saw a single insect! This isn't mosquito season. That being said, I wouldn't bring my pregnant daughter there. But, if you aren't even contemplating pregnancy, I wouldn't worry.

From what I read on the CDC website, the virus can be transferred from infected people who are past the incubation stage. This is of particular importance to possible infection from crew or pax who are on B2B cruises, not only direct mosquito contact.

I got 4 mosquito bites in December on our cruise in the Caribbean. They said 'it's not the season but they certainly like you'. A woman in the bar said, you've got mosquito bites aren't you worried about Zika? I said I'm nearly 50 and can assure you I've no plans to get pregnant. She told me there were other worries but would not elaborate. Now I work in healthcare and our latest alert was only for pregnant or future plan to be pregnant. Was I missing something.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got 4 mosquito bites in December on our cruise in the Caribbean. They said 'it's not the season but they certainly like you'. A woman in the bar said, you've got mosquito bites aren't you worried about Zika? I said I'm nearly 50 and can assure you I've no plans to get pregnant. She told me there were other worries but would not elaborate. Now I work in healthcare and our latest alert was only for pregnant or future plan to be pregnant. Was I missing something.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She probably wouldn't elaborate because she didn't really know.

From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/healtheffects/index.html

What we know

Zika infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects and is associated with other pregnancy problems.

Several countries that have experienced Zika outbreaks recently have reported increases in people who have Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).

Current CDC research suggests that GBS is strongly associated with Zika; however, only a small proportion of people with recent Zika virus infection get GBS.