18 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line has the best ADULT nightlife/party atmosphere

• Norwegian
    • Carnival
    • Princess
    • Royal Carribean
    • Celebrity
    • MSC

I would like to know about the "flavor" or culture or atmosphere of different cruise lines. Not so much which is better.

Wife and I are early 40's grown kids and we like to party. Not sloppy falling down stupid or anything, but I've seen something about a 15 drink max for packages, and folks who couldn't imagine hitting that number. We could.;)

We usually go on resort vacations and this will be our first cruise. Seven days Carribean/Mexico/Bahamas. We're looking for something with more of an adult vibe and not a bunch of kids running around. (nothing against kids, and I'm not suggesting NO kids, we're just looking for a more adult environment):cool:

So which cruise lines seem more appropriate from your experience?

I can give sample itinerary of what we're looking for if it's any help.

Thanks to any and all for your input.

Edited by muskyfins

That's a tough mix to try to compromise. The more party friendly lines are the lines that also have more kids. That said, if you book a Caribbean cruise in September or October, you will have far less kids.

Doing this, I recommend going on the line that I think has the best entertainment at sea....Royal Caribbean, especially Oasis Class. The new Norwegian Escape also looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Otherwise, take a look at Celebrity, especially Solstice Class. Princess is another option. They're a good mix....not nearly as many kids as the mainstream lines, but also not as sleepy as God's waiting room (Holland America).

It is a bit of a paradox that a certain cruise line known for lots of late night party activities and easy flowing booze is also the most popular line for families with kids after Disney. Royal Caribbean is who I mean, and the Oasis or Allure of the Seas (whichever one is sailing Western Caribbean to Mexico the week you are looking to book) would likely fit you to a T. The kids are kept busy away with their own activities and with over 6000 fellow passengers it is guaranteed you will meet plenty with your interests in common.

Others may recommend Carnival Cruise Line but loose reputation aside they still have a few vestiges of old-school cruising such as actually enforcing the dress code on formal nights--plus they will cut you off once you hit your limit.

ETA: no way in heck would I recommend Celebrity or Princess. Unless you went during the peak of vacation season the vast majority of passengers would be older than your parents. And Celebrity in particular rolls up the sidewalks after late dinner seating ends; on my one cruise with them it was near impossible to get a drink after 11:00.

Edited by fishywood

Not true about not finding a drink on Celebrity after 11. In more than 30 cruises on that line, we've had no problem buying drinks at 1am.

OP, I do find your post amusing. You say you don't want falling down drunk, but that you could polish off 15 drinks or more in one night???? How does one not get falling down drunk after 15 drinks ?

Your best choices are the Oasis Class ships from Royal Caribbean, any Carnival ship or any NCL ship.

Avoid Holland America, Princess and Celebrity because the average age of the cruisers on that line are 55 and up.

Upon further review: the OP needs to clarify what type of resort vacations they usually go on. If anyone has been to one of the high-end all-inclusives in the Caribbean or even Mexico they would likely be disappointed by their first cruise on any of the mainstream lines. One of the luxury all-inclusive ships might be the best bet: virtually no kids, country club atmosphere and dress, and no one would bat an eye at a two-fisted drinker. Now the question of budget; land based AI resorts range from fairly inexpensive to super-pricey, so should the OP be used to the latter they should be checking out Seabourn, Crystal, or the like.

Edited by fishywood

Good stuff everybody. Keep it coming.

Should have mentioned....We're looking to go mid-February (before spring break gets rolling, but when we're tired of winter)

We're not necessarily looking for no kids, but when we're at the "cocktail hour at the pool bar, I don't want to be splish splash with the kids throwing a ball around or chilling on the pool deck lounge area with a bunch of kids running around.

I guess we're seasoned drinkers!!! (And at home we don't drink at all during the week.) If I'm drinking beer from 2 pm until 2 am, that's 12 hours. Just to keep a little buzz going, I'm 2-3 beers an hour. Especially in the heat. That's way more than 15. Even if we start at 4-it's over the max.

We had been leaning toward NCL with the all inclusive deal since that's what we're used to, but we've seen some folks here on CC talking about how they nickel and dime people lately. And I believe they all offer a drink package that when factored in puts most of what we've been looking at (NCL, RCCL, CC, Carnival) on even price points.

Thanks for the info so far-look forward to more of it.

Good stuff everybody. Keep it coming.

Should have mentioned....We're looking to go mid-February (before spring break gets rolling, but when we're tired of winter)

Just a tip - avoid the Presidents Day week because there will be kids on those cruises since schools in New England (and some other states) have winter vacation that week.

My husband and I are both 40, no kids, and we also like to have a good time. We've done several Princess and RCI cruises and our experience has been that timing is everything when it comes to avoiding kids and 55+. Our last cruise with Princess, the first week in January 2015, was a snooze fest. It was impossible to maneuver around the ship without having to weave in and out of wheelchairs and scooters. After the evening entertainment though, that ship was a ghost town. RCI gave us a little more of what we were looking for. There were people close to our age range and more nightlife to attend.

My husband and I are both 40, no kids, and we also like to have a good time. We've done several Princess and RCI cruises and our experience has been that timing is everything when it comes to avoiding kids and 55+. Our last cruise with Princess, the first week in January 2015, was a snooze fest. It was impossible to maneuver around the ship without having to weave in and out of wheelchairs and scooters. After the evening entertainment though, that ship was a ghost town. RCI gave us a little more of what we were looking for. There were people close to our age range and more nightlife to attend.

Not all 55+ use a wheelchair or scooter. I myself, 63, can keep up with any 40 year old. The first week in January is generally a very inexpensive time to cruise.

We're not necessarily looking for no kids, but when we're at the "cocktail hour at the pool bar, I don't want to be splish splash with the kids throwing a ball around or chilling on the pool deck lounge area with a bunch of kids running around.

<snip>

We had been leaning toward NCL with the all inclusive deal since that's what we're used to, but we've seen some folks here on CC talking about how they nickel and dime people lately. And I believe they all offer a drink package that when factored in puts most of what we've been looking at (NCL, RCCL, CC, Carnival) on even price points.

I'm not nearly as heavy a drinker as you, but one of my favorite bars on RCI Oasis Class is the Solarium bar. The Solarium is adults only, 2 stories, and mostly enclosed in glass with open air sections between. There's a pool and several jacuzzis, including 2 that are cantilevered. Plus, from the bar, you have almost a 180 degree view out the front of the ship of the open ocean. It's one of my favorite features of that ship and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Only thing is, there's no music in there. For that, you can go out to one of the 4 poolside bars. There's also the Wipeout bar at the back, next to the Flowriders. The view from there is also pretty amazing.

About the NCL comment....you are exactly right. All lines nickel and dime, but no one does it like NCL. One thing you should know about their booze package...they still make you pay a 18% gratuity on it, even if they say it's free. RCI does not do that. Not sure about Carnival.

Not all 55+ use a wheelchair or scooter. I myself, 63, can keep up with any 40 year old. The first week in January is generally a very inexpensive time to cruise.

Agreed. Just what we experienced. Princess holds a special place in our heart as it was the first cruise we took together which just happened to be our honeymoon. Different atmosphere...different time of year. In fact the couple that we are cruising with in 3 weeks are both in their 50's and I would say are just as adventurous, if not more, as us. Like I said, time of year is key.

Upon further review: the OP needs to clarify what type of resort vacations they usually go on. If anyone has been to one of the high-end all-inclusives in the Caribbean or even Mexico they would likely be disappointed by their first cruise on any of the mainstream lines. One of the luxury all-inclusive ships might be the best bet: virtually no kids, country club atmosphere and dress, and no one would bat an eye at a two-fisted drinker. Now the question of budget; land based AI resorts range from fairly inexpensive to super-pricey, so should the OP be used to the latter they should be checking out Seabourn, Crystal, or the like.

So this is one of our primary concerns. (being disappointed) But we're going in open minded that this is something different.

To be clear, we're not country club people, but our party style is a bit like that. Mimosas at breakfast to vodka/rocks after dinner. But more important than drinking per se is finding the fun atmosphere. We've been places where the on site "club" has about 4 people in it after midnight. Someone mentioned no nightlife after 11 pm or something. We're definitely looking for the nightlife. Where's the pool bar cocktail group having fun from 3-6 before heading to dinner? (again more adult themed rather than kids and splish splash)

Maybe we're over thinking it? Maybe the kids/family activities are other places than the adult activities. Someone mentioned an adults only pool. Do many ships have adults only pools? Maybe kids aren't allowed in the pools with bars? Certainly they're not allowed in any bars.

As to budget, that's one of the things that led us to cruises-the low price teaser fares. $499 per person stuff. But that is quickly escalating into $1000 pp or even a bit more for 7 days. At those prices or a bit more when you factor in all the nickel/dime stuff, we could pick lots of AI land resorts. We're usually 4+ star type places, with the better reviews. Total budget this year is looking to be in the $3000 range.

We looked at Seabourn and Crystal-way off the mark. Admittedly, it seems this NCL drinks included thing is the best bang for the buck, even after figuring in about $300 of misc fees.

Many thanks for everyone's help. Sorry to be such a newb and sounding like that guy.

PS-due to our overbooked schedule, we have 1 week thats a good fit and 2 or 3 others we could make work if we had a compelling reason.

Edited by muskyfins
spelling error

Sounds like the best lines for you would be RCI or Carnival. I think you'd find Celebrity, Princess and HAL to be a bit more reserved than it sound like you want. Off-season (when school is in session) sounds like a good time for fewer kids. There will NEVER be no kids....but the clubs keep the kiddos out of your hair, for the most part. NCL really goes overboard with the "pay" specialty restaurants, corkage fees, etc....

We never sit directly by the pool...plenty of less crowded areas, near bars and still within sight of the pool....cooler by the railings, anyway! Kids are allowed in all bars with parents....but unless a parent insists, kids don't WANT to be there...no fun for them!

You will NOT have a 4-star cabin, unless you spring for a suite....cabins are fairly tight...especially if you're used to NICE hotels! It all works, tho, since you really don't spend tons of time sitting in the cabin!

So..stop overthinking it....bite the bullet and book something!

Edited by cb at sea

This is an interesting thread.

We have cruised a few cruise lines, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean in our youth, then Disney with our kids and now are loyal to Princess with about 10 cruises with them, and 18ish on other cruise lines.

I would say that the Princess crowd is mellow. I don't think it's a bunch of old people though, the age range is wide. During the holidays it's families with kids from 6 months to early 20's. Other times of year it's a mature crowd, still have your range from grandparents taking their grandkids to couples people in their 30's. We've been cruising Princes since our early 30th and have never felt out of place on any cruise.

I've heard Carnival cuts you off after so many drinks, Princess does not and they are owned by the same company. we always do the all inclusive drink package since it started.

I myself am not a big fan of cruise ship entertainment. The best I've seen has been on Disney and that is 100% families. Well, they had some Disney lovers as well, but it was mostly families and if you are trying to get away from kids it's definitely not the place to go. :) Plus, it's expensive compared to Princess.

In terms of bars, all cruise lines have them and they can be great. I like finding a bar tending we like and hanging there for our cruise. On Princess, my experience has been the nighttime "club/disco" has always been a teenagers paradise. Not usually adults in there, and we prefer to chill at the bars.

We love cruising but we also love our land vacations. These days we are doing one of each every year. They are vastly different and if I had to choose one vacation a year I'd say there is more bang for your buck on a cruise and would alternate (if I had to- do one year cruise, one year land).

If you like the aspect of all you can drink at your all inclusive land vacations and you want that nighttime entertainment with lots of dancing and fun then a cruise could be a bit disappointing because they are not the same, in my opinion. I love both though! Good luck picking a cruise line to try.

......On Princess, my experience has been the nighttime "club/disco" has always been a teenagers paradise. Not usually adults in there, and we prefer to chill at the bars.

WOW!!! This is insightful. Where is the adult nightlife? Bars I suppose?

The nightlife at land based AI's hasn't been all that great which is another reason why we're looking at cruises.

There is no simple answer for the OP as it is not just a matter of a cruise line's so-called culture but also involves the specific ship and time of the year. Take a cruise when most schools are out and you are likely to have lots of kids. But cruise during major school months such as in January and there will likely be very few kids/teens on any ship. Given your age and "wants" we would suggest avoiding HAL where you might be among the youngest on a cruise. Among larger ship lines both Princess and Celebrity would usually be good choices. If you are looking for lots of onboard amenities and activities you might want to consider one of the huge mega ships of RCI (Oasis, Allure, etc).

Regarding the comment about Princess, we just finished a 10 day Regal Princess (this past Tuesday) where there were probably no more then a dozen teens on the ship and only a few little ones. It is all in the timing :).

Hank

So this is one of our primary concerns. (being disappointed) But we're going in open minded that this is something different.

To be clear, we're not country club people, but our party style is a bit like that. Mimosas at breakfast to vodka/rocks after dinner. But more important than drinking per se is finding the fun atmosphere. We've been places where the on site "club" has about 4 people in it after midnight. Someone mentioned no nightlife after 11 pm or something. We're definitely looking for the nightlife. Where's the pool bar cocktail group having fun from 3-6 before heading to dinner? (again more adult themed rather than kids and splish splash)

Maybe we're over thinking it? Maybe the kids/family activities are other places than the adult activities. Someone mentioned an adults only pool. Do many ships have adults only pools? Maybe kids aren't allowed in the pools with bars? Certainly they're not allowed in any bars.

As to budget, that's one of the things that led us to cruises-the low price teaser fares. $499 per person stuff. But that is quickly escalating into $1000 pp or even a bit more for 7 days. At those prices or a bit more when you factor in all the nickel/dime stuff, we could pick lots of AI land resorts. We're usually 4+ star type places, with the better reviews. Total budget this year is looking to be in the $3000 range.

We looked at Seabourn and Crystal-way off the mark. Admittedly, it seems this NCL drinks included thing is the best bang for the buck, even after figuring in about $300 of misc fees.

Many thanks for everyone's help. Sorry to be such a newb and sounding like that guy.

PS-due to our overbooked schedule, we have 1 week thats a good fit and 2 or 3 others we could make work if we had a compelling reason.

"4+ stars?" -at $1000/wk?? Cruise, land, even "staycation," you're a few stars off.

The best "bang for the buck" in what most folks would consider 4 star cruising is a premium line like Oceania. But, alas, you won't find many "buckets of beer" being ordered.

Really think you would enjoy RC with an AI drink package. On all lines kids are allowed in bars, and entertainment venues. On RC solarium is kid free and has a bar. There is also a curfew (I think 1:00 a.m. ) unless with a parent; therefore no groups of teens roaming the ship. Some night clubs etc. are also all adult. Would think a mega Oasis class would work for you; or Freedom/Voyager class.

"4+ stars?" -at $1000/wk?? Cruise, land, even "staycation," you're a few stars off.

The best "bang for the buck" in what most folks would consider 4 star cruising is a premium line like Oceania. But, alas, you won't find many "buckets of beer" being ordered.

Sorry. I was talking about the "rating" or whatever the correct term is on the travel agent websites we use. I don't want to break any forum rules,lets just say one of them has a 6 "banana" rating max. We would be looking for 4 bananas or better. Oceana has all 5.5 bananas.

Same goes for reviews here on CC or something like trip advisor. Must be at least 4 "dots" or 80% to be in the running unless we feel like taking a gamble.

WOW!!! This is insightful. Where is the adult nightlife? Bars I suppose?

The nightlife at land based AI's hasn't been all that great which is another reason why we're looking at cruises.

Casinos and bars. That's your nightlife

I don't mind the bars so it works for me :)