What do you do on rainy days?

Remus2010

Single digits till the Eastern Caribbean but after looking at the extended forecast, was not happy with the rainy forecast for most ports and I expect sea days. Now don't get me wrong, a rainy day onboard is better than a sunny day at work. I will still have fun no matter what. Maybe more maps? Just wondering what everyone does on the less than stellar days? Thanks.

practice relaxation.... hit the sauna and hot tub, then find a very comfortable corner (in a dry spot) and catch up on my reading. I relish the opportunity to dive into a story and not have to come up for air until my tummy grumbles and I have to go looking for food.

there are so few opportunities in everyday life to really fully relax, and have nothing to do .....I relish the opportunity

Depends on how warm it is. Probably run outside into the rain. Did this on our HI cruise. Could tell who was from a drought state and who wasn't. :) As an Angeleno we like the novelty of rain.

Edited by SadieN

I swear by Harbor Freight Rain Ponchos, big and roomy, tough as can be and just 2.49 before any of the many % off coupons you can find online. We have done rainy runs down the Belize River after the Ruins, Mini Boats and other excursions where other guests have turned back or called it a day. Honestly a rainy excursion is one of your best chances to a have a smaller group and some amazing rainbows that make lifetime memories.

I swear by Harbor Freight Rain Ponchos, big and roomy, tough as can be and just 2.49 before any of the many % off coupons you can find online. We have done rainy runs down the Belize River after the Ruins, Mini Boats and other excursions where other guests have turned back or called it a day. Honestly a rainy excursion is one of your best chances to a have a smaller group and some amazing rainbows that make lifetime memories.

I like your style!

We only experienced rain for an hour at the end of the port day in Grand Cayman. Our next cruise will be with our almost 3 year old. So, if it rains we will most likely be napping, reading, playing board games, or hitting the t-pool and saunas.

When he is older we will be like JGLENNCRUISER and not letting the rain stop us!

Often the forecast calls for rain in the caribbean......that usually means a quick shower here and there.....sometimes you can see it raining in the distance....I would have a poncho available but not worry too much that you'll be rained out...

I would think it's strange to be in such a tropical area and not get any rain during a week there. It usually doesn't rain all day.

On the ships I've been on, there's plenty to do indoors, but if you're in a warm area, it's very interesting to be in a hot tub or pool while it's raining. Plus, you're getting wet one way or another.

Single digits till the Eastern Caribbean but after looking at the extended forecast, was not happy with the rainy forecast for most ports and I expect sea days. Now don't get me wrong, a rainy day onboard is better than a sunny day at work. I will still have fun no matter what. Maybe more maps? Just wondering what everyone does on the less than stellar days? Thanks.

It is unlikely that you will miss any ports due to rain, you dock at all of them. If you are really concerned about rain in port take a poncho. It rarely rains long, the showers are hit and miss. Unless it is thundering you can still go to the beach and swim. Your biggest concern might be a bit of cool weather in Nassau.

On board rain days are perfect to go to the spa, find a place and read. Explore the ship, or just sit and relax!

There are TWO sorts rainy (bad weather) days:

1) Those when you are docked and can get off the ship if you wish.

2) Those when you are tendering and the Captain finds it unsafe so will become another Sea Day.

What to do depends on which sort of "bad weather" day it is.

It rains during vacations. Fact of life. Try bringing rain gear and do things in the rain. You can still explore the islands and see local life and culture.

FWIW, you should expect you might encounter rain when you see landscapes like this (taken from atop a St Lucia Piton):

pitons-stlucia-cli_3167595b.jpg

It doesn't get green like this from irrigation sprinklers.

As some wise words go: "There is no such thing as bad weather, there are only bad clothing choices." One should ALWAYS have a rain jacket and hat for the rain when you travel. To do otherwise is naive. Enjoy the rain -- or next time cruise out of Dubai.

Edited by FlyerTalker

When I didn't have to deal with a Rollator, we got off the ship on rainy days with our portable umbrellas and walked around. But I can't handle an umbrella and a Rollator so we stay on the ship.

If it isn't raining too hard we sit out on our verandah and read. Otherwise we roam around the ship and take part in some of the activities.