Are some people too hard to please?

nw500005

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are on the 7/26 10-day Baltic cruise on Voyager. It will be our first time on Regent, having cruised on Norwegian & Princess in the past. I am also very new to CC and am enjoying reading the posts and especially the "live from" feeds.

I am concerned about a review posted on 6/24 by coffou who was on the 6/14 Voyager Baltic cruise. If you haven't read it, the person gave it a 1 star for things like public areas being dirty, dirty dishes left out too long, poor shore excursions and mediocre food.

We are expecting a luxury cruise - and while I know everyone interprets things differently - I would hope to have above-average cleanliness, excursions and food that is at least "good".

Many of you have cruised on the Voyager before and I believe some readers were on the 6/14 cruise that coffou reviewed. I am interested in knowing if you think that this is an anomaly and someone that is really really picky or should we reset our expectations a bit?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Nancy

Reviews are always taken with a grain of salt and some people see things they like, while the next person dislikes the same thing. One can always find a problem if one is looking for some or has some expectations which are not met. That then can for some ruin the whole experience.

Now Prosecco is not the same as champagne, but both are "sparkling wines" and so... Does it matter to me ? No. But for him/her it did.

Have I had Champagne from Brut, France ? :-)...Well, yes I did..:-) But also sparkling wine from Brut, California :-) Was the person who brought it a waiter, an assistant waiter, the sommelier etc ? I would have chuckled and enjoyed the champagne, but others would be upset. This is a cruise, not a 3 star Michelin restaurant (and I have some stories about service in Michelin restaurants too, but that's not the point here).

What restaurant was ok ? What others were just mediocre ? Etc, etc.

If you are concerned about the remarks, don't be. We've been on Regent quite a few times and always had a very enjoyable and luxurious cruise experience. Was everything always 100% ? No. There are always one or two things where you could say: This could be improved. But does it impact the overall cruise experience ? Not in my mind. And if there is something glaringly wrong, there are ways to solve it. Does the staff try their best to make it enjoyable for you ? Yes.

Enjoy the cruise, enjoy the experience and have fun.

I am so confused. I was on that cruise and experienced non of the above. You need to read Ping Pongs review of live from Voyager. It was a great cruise and everything was awesome. This was my fourth Regent cruise and we will cruise again with Regent. I could not find the review you referred to. You will have an awesome time. Go in with an open mind and experience it for yourselves.

I don't expect "coffou" on my next Regent cruise or any Regent cruise and I'm GLAD!

HE has every right to express his experience - I'm sure he can find a line that will suit him but I hope it isn't Regent!

Thanks all. We did read ping pong's live from voyager remarks which is why we were confused when we saw the degree of negativity from the other reviewer.

We are confident we'll love Regent and the Voyager based upon your feedback.

We have been on Voyager twice and Navigator once. Latest trip was in April for 21 days on Voyager. We had a wonderful time on all three voyages. Was it perfect? No, because I never expect perfection because we all are human. We had a great time and never felt compelled to complain about anything. I could list things that could be improved, but that is more like making a wish list.

I think that some reviewers feel empowered and more like a "critic" when being critical rather than realistic in their expectations of a "luxury" cruise line.

NW500005, if you haven't yet, login for the roll call for our cruise to the Baltic starting on the 26th of July. We are a very enthusiastic group!

Hope I get to meet you on the cruise.

Martha

** Oops, 4 weeks til the cruise.... 3 weeks til I leave for it!

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound

I haven't read the review either, but we may be too harsh on the person who gave a bad review. We were on a cruise where everything seemed to go wrong. Our outside cabin had a third bed that was over one of the beds, and the ladder going to the unused bed rattled all trip and couldn't be removed. Our stewardess was the only bad steward or stewardess we've ever had - utterly clueless. We were supposed to have a "pillow menu" for our "concierge class" room; but we never got the requested pillows or the special room service items that concierge class was supposed to have. We found the food to be over-salted and under-seasoned, while most people raved about it. The ship rolled uncomfortably. The excursions were lame, so we did everything ourselves. We were never able to get into the showroom, which was filled each night with people who had been to the bingo or other activity just before the show and didn't relinquish their seats; and it was the ship's policy not to have any other entertainment while the main show was going on (not even a piano bar). One of the only two ports, St. George, was skipped due to bad weather, and there were no more berths in Hamilton. Therefore, we had to tender just to go ashore. All in all, a cruise from Port Liberty, NJ to Bermuda that was, at best, a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Oh, yes, when we wrote about our bad experience to management, they gave us, as compensation, a coupon that had expired before we received it. That made us swear off the line on which we cruised. Happily, that led us to Regent.

That cruise was on Celebrity ("X"), not Regent. If you look on the Celebrity boards, you would think that X was the world's best line. Anyone who doesn't like X, and says so on the X board, gets flamed.

Anyone can have a bad cruise on the same cruise that everyone else loves. Let's stop flaming the cruiser. Most people love their Regent cruises, but that cruiser didn't.

Edited by Joanandjoe

A "glass half empty" personality will find fault with everything and anything. In fact I think they go out of their way to do so. What most (?) of us would find a minor irritant becomes a huge Big Deal with GHE types. People also think the word "critic" in Cruise Critic means the forum is here to have a good old therapeutic kvetch. It never ceases to amaze me what people complain about sometimes.

We cruise to relax, learn and enjoy. We don't go to nitpick. It says more about us than the cruise line.

It is unfortunate for coffou that he/she had such a disappointing experience on Regent, albeit they still scored Service as 5 star. I certainly find difficulty in matching coffou's overall experience with our RSSC voyages. :)

Coffou quote " I would not opt for a Regent Seven Seas trip again" - This appears to be a lucky escape for the rest of us who enjoy Regent and try to avoid moaners during our vacation. ;)

How can anyone have a 'glass half empty' attitude on Regent when those nice stewards keep topping you up? :rolleyes:

Cruising (on any line) is probably just not to coffou's taste.

I think the problem is that some people might have extremely high expectations for Regent, as it is a luxury line. Myself included.... I was pretty critical of our second cruise on Navigator, because I was comparing it to our first, which was impeccable. Does that mean I won't cruise Regent again? I would sail Regent before any other line (in most cases). I vented so the powers that be would be aware of some inconsistencies, since I am aware that they read our posts.

We have been on Voyager twice and Navigator once. Latest trip was in April for 21 days on Voyager. We had a wonderful time on all three voyages. Was it perfect? No, because I never expect perfection because we all are human. We had a great time and never felt compelled to complain about anything. I could list things that could be improved, but that is more like making a wish list.

I think that some reviewers feel empowered and more like a "critic" when being critical rather than realistic in their expectations of a "luxury" cruise line.

Wow. I am curious to know what would be on that "wish list" of yours. In my current situation cannot imagine ever being able to, or for that matter, choosing to make the expenditure to cruise on Regent -- but if I were to cruise with Regent, the idea that for all the money I would have spent I might still have a response to my Regent cruise that would be as cool as yours flabbergasts me.

There are so many posters who respond to complaints about the mass market lines who recommend that unsatisfied cruisers suck it up, spend the money and cruise on a luxury line, or understand that they "get what they pay for," and be satisfied with the mass market.

What should be one's expectations for Regent, a luxury cruise line? Does one " get what one pays for" or not? What is it that Regent cruisers get for three to eight times the price of the cruise fares of the mass market lines?

What should be one's expectations for Regent, a luxury cruise line? Does one " get what one pays for" or not? What is it that Regent cruisers get for three to eight times the price of the cruise fares of the mass market lines?

More space per passenger; higher crew/passenger ratio; better service; no extra charges..............

Also try this link for price comparisons:

http://www.rssc.com/experience/value-comparison/

But at the end of the day 'value' means different things to different people and it is for each individual to decide how he/she would like to spend their disposable income.

What I want in a vacation experience is an absence from having to make choices based on what I'm having to spend. The fact that everything is included - sightseeing, drinks, tips, exceptional and personal service - means everything to me. Nothing ruins a trip like being "nickled and dimed" at every turn. I am not expecting perfection. I'm simply expecting things to be simplified for me. When I compare what I spend on a Regent cruise against what I paid on Holland America (usually on the Prinsendam), I come out about the same, price-wise. Here's the point at which the smaller ship sways my decision....always sending me back to Regent.

Regent in our eyes - 700 passengers vs. 2400 passengers. All suite Cabins with balcony (except Navigator) 300 - 350 sq ft. Walk in Closet, very large bath on Voyager you have a large separate shower and a bath. No lines anywhere, show up for dinner at anytime and be seated immediately or within minutes. Tables for two always available.

Included, all DRINKS (wine :)) INCLUDING SPECIALTY COFFEES includes some very good brands. Numerous TOURS in every port to choose from. Specialty dining.

AIRFARE, onboard GRATUITIES.

The only things you pay for is the spa, laundry, computer time, and ship board store.

We really love the lack of crowds, lack of lines and cocktails anytime, anywhere and no signing for every darn thing! If you want something not on the menu and the ingredients are available then with 24 hrs notice you can have it the next evening.....

I am sure I have left many things off that DH and I love about our 37 days of sailing Voyager and Mariner.

Once you have sailed Regent you are ruined and don't want to go back to those mega ships.

Now are things perfect NO!!! As posted by others, sometimes things go wrong or maybe could be better. But having experienced other cruise lines and then going to Regent, there is simply no going back for us.

Enjoy your Regent experience, our first sailing on Voyager was a Baltic's cruise and it was lovely!

PS the ships are gorgeous and pristine ... I can not even imagine anyone finding a dirty ship, this just does not measure up to the ships I sailed on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Mushroom and Nana541 have hit the nail on the head with their comments and we concur wholeheartedly. I would add that the level of service is much better than mainstream cruise lines and the crew seems to willing to establish a relationship with passengers. To be greeted as if one is family and treated with the highest standards of service is what has won us over. Fortunately, the slip ups and faux pas we've esperienced have been relatively minor.

Z and TB

What I want in a vacation experience is an absence from having to make choices based on what I'm having to spend. The fact that everything is included - sightseeing, drinks, tips, exceptional and personal service - means everything to me. Nothing ruins a trip like being "nickled and dimed" at every turn. I am not expecting perfection. I'm simply expecting things to be simplified for me. When I compare what I spend on a Regent cruise against what I paid on Holland America (usually on the Prinsendam), I come out about the same, price-wise. Here's the point at which the smaller ship sways my decision....always sending me back to Regent.

You and I have probably had this conversation before. If a person stays in a cabin the comparable size on Prinsendam, the cruise will be costing way more than Regent. We are in a balcony to Iceland next month... the cabin will be smaller, and the trip cost will probably be equal to or more than Regent. Once she's gone, we'll use Regent for overseas. We just still like her as much as Regent! Some things we like more, some things less. Now, the other HAL ships don't compare to Regent, at least in my opinion. That's where people get confused. They see all HAL ships as the same, which they are not.

LindaM. Prinsendam is a gem of a ship. She will be truly missed when she is gone, and no, she is not like the others. We have sailed her many times, and we have loved her and the staff and everything about Prinsendam. I know Regent will be wonderful as well. Looking forward to our trip on Voyage in December.

Each ship has its own "personality." I enjoy many of them, as I am sure you do as well.

I sailed on the Prinsedam when it was the Seabourn Sun. I found it very dated, and when HA took it over, they destroyed the aft dining room to make more cabins.

We referred it as the Gotterdamerung for twilight of the gods.