taking lunch off the ship

Jacky4

I know you are not allowed to bring food off the ship outside the US but can I order room service sandwiches and bring them to Key West. We are renting a boat and will be out on the water the whole time. It would be nice to pack a small cooler with lunch and drinks. I doubt any take out restaurants will be opened when we dock. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks J.

I know you are not allowed to bring food off the ship outside the US but can I order room service sandwiches and bring them to Key West. We are renting a boat and will be out on the water the whole time. It would be nice to pack a small cooler with lunch and drinks. I doubt any take out restaurants will be opened when we dock. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks J.

You are not allowed to bring food or flowers off the ship in the US either. If they happen to have a dog at the pier (or perform a random search) you could get into some serious trouble.

Mike:)

You can bring pre-packaged things...but not sandwiches with lettuce or tomato, cheese or meats....maybe a PBJ! I'm pretty sure the US has some sort of law...of course, it might be like the illegal immigrant thing...no one seems to care anymore.

Edited by cb at sea

You can bring pre-packaged things...but not sandwiches with lettuce or tomato, cheese or meats....maybe a PBJ! I'm pretty sure the US has some sort of law...of course, it might be like the illegal immigrant thing...no one seems to care anymore.

If you think no one cares anymore try bringing an mango, orange or lime ashore and see what happens.

Granola bars, sealed candy, cracker packages etc are okay.

Mike:)

Tell that to the Florida citrus industry which has been severely impacted by various exotic insects that have come into Florida on cargo ships and in similar ways. The fact is Florida does everything it can to prevent exotic species of insects and plants from causing disastrous impacts on Florida agriculture, the Everglades eco-system and native wildlife.

FWIW the White Tarpon Deli opens early and will make sandwiches to go. It's listed as being at 700 Front Street, Suite 106, but this is confusing. It's at the Key West Bight between Alonzo's and the Boathouse. Chances are good that you will pass it if you are renting a boat.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

Greetings

There are serious fines that may be imposed if you are caught bringing fresh items off the ship into the USA. Maybe you will be able to "smuggle" them off the ship, but I don't think it is worth the risk.

The Cuban Coffee Queen is in the Bight (where you will probably get your boat) and they open at 6:30 am. They make a very good Cuban Sandwich, messy but tasty.

Good Sailing

Tom

Please do not try to take sandwiches off the ship.

Buy food ashore and enjoy it on your boat. If you are caught,

the penalties can be very severe. If you are not caught, you

well could (unknowingly) bring ashore disease/bug or whatever

that can damage Key West's ecosystem. These rules are in place

for very good reason.

And the place I stop for something to take out onto the water which also opens early is right here --->

10553557_704569879592276_8960557418547945637_n.jpg

Pjk

And where is that? Looks like an important stop. :)

As for taking food off the ship, I wouldn't do it. However, a question...if you board in Fort Lauderdale and your first stop is Key West, how could you be introducing non native bugs etc to the ecosystem? I am from CA. Trust me, I am all in favor of keeping agriculture free of invasive species. I'm just thinking, if you could drive to KW with food, what's the difference with coming off the ship?