Opinions, please! Inexpensive Fort Lauderdale hotel.

nanners

I am trying to find a clean, inexpensive hotel, $125 range. Will be going out of Fort Lauderdale, February 2017. Will be flying in two days ahead and no car. Does anyone know anything about the La Quinta or Clarion Inn on North Federal Highway?

Yes, I know, I want a Hilton on a Motel 6 price!

I appreciate any advice or opinions you can help me with.

Thanks!

I am trying to find a clean, inexpensive hotel, $125 range. Will be going out of Fort Lauderdale, February 2017. Will be flying in two days ahead and no car. Does anyone know anything about the La Quinta or Clarion Inn on North Federal Highway?

Thanks!

You might also consider Hyatt Place using http://www.valuetrips.com when the booking opens (I don't think it is yet)...usually very well priced using this site.

Hyatt Place will be at minimum $195 in Feb., even at the discounted rate. But that's a great spot and rate if the dates aren't blacked out.

The problem is Feb. is peak season. Your budget is much too low. Too, with being in the area for two days, you will need to be in walking distance to restaurants and things to do. Or spend $$ everytime you want to cab it.

What exact dates are you looking at?

Edited by eandj

Hyatt Place will be at minimum $195 in Feb., even at the discounted rate. But that's a great spot and rate if the dates aren't blacked out.

The problem is Feb. is peak season. Your budget is much too low. Too, with being in the area for two days, you will need to be in walking distance to restaurants and things to do. Or spend $$ everytime you want to cab it.

What exact dates are you looking at?

Is the Hyatt Place in walking distance to restaurants, anything to do?

Since you'll not have a car and be flying in a couple of days early, the price of a more expensive one conveniently located to restaurants & things to do could actually save money when you factor in the price of taxis. ;)

Is the Hyatt Place in walking distance to restaurants, anything to do?

Yes...right next door to the Publix shopping center... market, stores and our favorite restaurant Duffy's...Hyatt sits just behind Embassy Suites on 17th Street one of the most convenient areas to base yourself from pre-cruise...and the reason these two hotel's and area is so popular...enjoy !

I've been researching Fort Lauderdale hotels also for our January cruise. In our travels around the country , we find the Choice hotels (Comfort, Sleep, Quality, Clarion) to offer good price/quality ratio and we get a few perks as Choice Privileges members. I had narrowed it down to the Clarion or the Comfort Inn and Suites, which both had good reviews and rates under $100 through the members site. I decided on the Comfort because it offers free breakfast. although the Clarion had the edge for its location and general appearance.

My office is across the street from the Clarion. It's a nice neighborhood with a bunch of restaurants within a block or 2, including IHOP for breakfast. It was completely renovated a few months ago from top to bottom. Uber from the airport and to port will cost under $20.

We just stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach. While its a little bit higher we only paid about $140 a night for a really good sized room ( two beds and a fold out couch in the sitting area ) that had a big shopping center and restaurants right across the street. We had a rental car so we didn't need it but they said they had port transport available for guests to the port.

Oh and on the rental car idea if you look around you can get one dirt cheap for a day or two. We paid $24, $35 with all the taxes and such, for a full size car big enough for 5 and Alamo gave us transport to and from the port in the deal. If you think you may want to do a car at all do some searches at the travel sites for cars and then just wait for better prices. Once you show your interest they will just keep sending you lower and lower price offers. We needed something bigger but if we could have done with a smaller that sat 4 the last offer I had via email was a compact for $17 a day.

Happy travels!

You may want to check car rentals. If you can get a great rate you can travel around much easier if your hotel is far away from the public transport. Over a period of two nights your taxi and uber costs will add up after tipping.

With wheels you can stay in cheaper hotels away from the touristy areas.

Regardless, there are acceptable chain-type hotels with 3 miles of the Port that cost under $125 per night or thereabouts (free parking) in February. Check out the Ramada for example.

I am sure you can also get good rates at motels along A1A and maybe between the high-rises in Lauderdale Beach but who knows what you will get for your money!

Edited by SteerageJoe

I've been researching Fort Lauderdale hotels also for our January cruise. I had narrowed it down to the Clarion or the Comfort Inn and Suites, which both had good reviews and rates under $100 through the members site. I decided on the Comfort because it offers free breakfast. although the Clarion had the edge for its location and general appearance.

We are also looking for a hotel in FLL for January. Do either of the Clarion or the Comort Inn & Suites offer free shuttle from the airport to the hotel? Does anyone know how much a shuttle or taxi from either hotel to Port Everglades would be? Also what stores or restaurants are by either hotel? Where are these hotels located - an address would be helpful.

Our dates are for Feb. 1 - 3. If we can walk to restaurants or shopping center (safely), I'm good with that. We would only need a taxi from airport and to the port.

As far as the La Quinta and the Clarion, it looks like the Clarion has more around it?

I appreciate the suggestions and will keep looking. I know the taxi costs will add up and make a difference. Thanks for making me aware, I guess I didn't really let that sink in, but I need to.

We are booked at the Clarion Inn on Federal Highway. Our rate is $150.00 tax included. It is Feb. 17th. I booked several months ago after reading a post from Royalcruz stating it was a safe neighborhood. It has gotten some good reviews and is half the price of many other area hotels. Realize it is a motel and not a hotel, but for one night pre cruise it suits our needs.

Our dates are for Feb. 1 - 3. If we can walk to restaurants or shopping center (safely), I'm good with that. We would only need a taxi from airport and to the port.

As far as the La Quinta and the Clarion, it looks like the Clarion has more around it?

I appreciate the suggestions and will keep looking. I know the taxi costs will add up and make a difference. Thanks for making me aware, I guess I didn't really let that sink in, but I need to.

You need to head East on Sunrise towards the beach and you'll find all kinds of shopping and dining.

A couple of Publix, a mall and more good restaurants than you could possibly imagine in all price ranges.

We are booked at the Clarion Inn on Federal Highway. Our rate is $150.00 tax included. It is Feb. 17th. I booked several months ago after reading a post from Royalcruz stating it was a safe neighborhood. It has gotten some good reviews and is half the price of many other area hotels. Realize it is a motel and not a hotel, but for one night pre cruise it suits our needs.

Once you are sure that you are going, there is an advance purchase rate of $120 at the Clarion.

An easy way to find out what is around a hotel is to use google maps. Put in the address, then you can zoom in, and the map will show where the hotel is located, and what all is around it. You can also put in for directions to other locations.

Everybody has their own opinion based on their experience and needs. Our solution is to rent a car and stay further out. Since my husbands parents lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for many years, we know our way around and have seen all of the South Florida sights we care to see.

We're sailing in February 2017 on the Monday of President's Day Weekend so hotels near the airport and port are outrageously priced. We are staying at a LaQuinta near Sawgrass Mills. We can do a little pre-cruise shopping and there are lots of great restaurants there. As usual, this time we're picking up a car at Thrifty at FLL because they have a convenient return right at the entrance to Port Everglades. They provide a shuttle to the ship.

Does anyone know if the Clarion in Ft. Lauderdale offers transfers to the cruise port? If not approx. cab fare?

The hotel doesn't have a shuttle, but might be able to arrange a transfer, but it's usually per person and might cost more than a taxi (around $20-25 per taxi) or Uber (around $10 per ride).

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

We've left out of Fort Lauderdale many times and have stayed at Hiltons, Hyatts but will be returning to our first the QUALITY INN & SUITES AIRPORT/CRUISE PORT SOUTH, 2520 Stirling Rd.

We have never had a problem, clean rooms, typical freebie breakfast (better than the Hilton)but compared to the others price wise we are heading back. Spend some time by the pool and have a few drinks from the bar...

Next door to a car rental and within walking distance to all kinds of shopping ( BJ's, Kmart and lots of others) including a few fast food places. We will be there for 2 days prior and will rent a car for the second day. (usual car rates apply).

Shuttle to and from airport (check on available times), and the same for the cruise port.

bosco

Thanks Bosco,

That's reassuring because I ended up making reservations there. I was a little leery but it sure helps when someone who has stayed there can give it a thumbs up! As long as it is clean, I'll be happy.

Thanks for posting, Nanners

Thanks!

When are you cruising in Feb 2017?

I have a $239.00 rate at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina for Feb 6-14, 2017.

Here is my email: jetter4h@gvtc.com

I am traveling with a group and we have a group rate at the hotel. Sailing on Feb 12, but our group hotel rates are for 6-14 Feb.

When are you cruising in Feb 2017?

I have a $239.00 rate at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina for Feb 6-14' date=' 2017.

Here is my email: [email']jetter4h@gvtc.com[/email]

I am traveling with a group and we have a group rate at the hotel. Sailing on Feb 12, but our group hotel rates are for 6-14 Feb.

Hyatt Place is $219.00 includes breakfast & free shuttle from FLL to hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed at the embassy before. This time the price is way upwelling. Ned a shuttle or taxi from airport as well as to cruise. Looking at February 10. Also we need to be able to walk safely to dinner. Ft lauderdale is so big I'd hate to choose the wrong location

Thanks for the input