An Incident that's Bothered Me

I don't know why I'm posting this now - as it happened months ago on our last

cruise on the Oasis - but it's been in my mind and bothering me ever since. We were in port in Jamaica. I woke up that morning with a terrible migraine and knew I couldn't make our excursion. My husband, though, decided to go. I took a couple of my pills and went back to bed. I told him to put the do not disturb on the door, but he probably forgot. I was sleeping and was awoken by a tapping on the door. I just felt too groggy and sick to get up and figured whoever it was would go away. Then I heard a key in the door and two Oasis staff entered. I sat up in bed when they came in. I think they were shocked to see someone there and they quickly left without saying anything. I just flopped back to sleep and honestly wasn't in any mood to question it. But afterwards....I started to wonder. Why would they have any reason to enter our room? It wasn't our steward. It was a man and a woman. They gave no explanation and backed out quickly. I know I should have enquired into it, but I didn't. It's bothered me ever since. Now we have another cruise coming up and it's on my mind again. Has anyone ever had a similar occurrence?

As Bob and Ken suggest with their explanations, there are any number of legitimate reasons for this to happen. I know that often, if a DND sign is hung on the door for an unusual amount of time, the steward will enter anyway just to make sure everything is OK with the guest(s). That happened to our daughter on one cruise where she was very sea sick and stayed in her room all day one day and the steward knocked and entered in the early afternoon (prior to her afternoon break) to make sure she was alright.

Edited by joepeka

Could have been the staff checking on the mini bar or housekeeping supervisor doing a spot check.

Or room service delivering a C&A treat, or someone else delivering a paper or card, such as they do for art auctions, etc. Really, any number of things.

Agree with all of these possibilities, and that has happened to us as well. Room service personnel ignored and bypassed the DND sign in our door to bring us our C&A treat. Honestly, I was a little choked at the time but I let it go and haven't thought about it until your thread now. Ha! :D:p

you can lock the door from inside the cabin and not rely on just a sign on the door. The staff did knock first and you did

not respond so I really don't know what they did wrong.

Even when you lock the door from the inside it can still be opened by staff.

you can lock the door from inside the cabin and not rely on just a sign on the door. The staff did knock first and you did not respond so I really don't know what they did wrong.
e

I'm not saying they did anything wrong - I just thought it odd. I couldn't think of any reason why two would be coming into our room. Several have given reasons why they might come in. I'm sure it must have been for one of those reasons.

I'm not saying they did anything wrong - I just thought it odd. I couldn't think of any reason why two would be coming into our room. Several have given reasons why they might come in. I'm sure it must have been for one of those reasons.

Maybe, just maybe because of our society, they send two people to oversee some type of delivery or assignment (several suggestions have been made in this thread) simply because they don't want an employee to be 'accused' of anything inappropriate happening.

Once the individuals opened the door and realized you were inside the cabin, they proceeded to close the door and leave. I hope they inquired to make sure you were OK, or perhaps if you needed something.

This is correct. It works the same way in a hotel, the master key overrides the deadbolt.

Not in the Uk - there are either chains or fixed bar locks that you set across. They can only be opened from the inside- they are not controlled by anything except manual manipulation.

Yes, this does not strike me as unusual at all. There are a number of different staff that might need to access a cabin, other than just the stateroom attendant. I wouldn't let this bother you.

I will chime in and agree -- it was most likely housekeeping / mini bar people coming in.

I will also chime in on the cards we insert -- one cruise I put out the DND card - it was turned the other side. Cabin Steward knew it was a sea day and knew my schedule so didn't bother me. I went to go out and turn the card around only to find it the way wrong! Another the cards (all down the corridor) were removed and in a pile at the elevators.

Kids will be kids - annoying as that is.

Perhaps some furniture item needed repair and had to be carried out.....many reasons as they say. Or even checking on a balcony for updating, a supervisor and the worker to see what needs doing.

I don't know why I'm posting this now - as it happened months ago on our last

cruise on the Oasis - but it's been in my mind and bothering me ever since. We were in port in Jamaica. I woke up that morning with a terrible migraine and knew I couldn't make our excursion. My husband, though, decided to go. I took a couple of my pills and went back to bed. I told him to put the do not disturb on the door, but he probably forgot. I was sleeping and was awoken by a tapping on the door. I just felt too groggy and sick to get up and figured whoever it was would go away. Then I heard a key in the door and two Oasis staff entered. I sat up in bed when they came in. I think they were shocked to see someone there and they quickly left without saying anything. I just flopped back to sleep and honestly wasn't in any mood to question it. But afterwards....I started to wonder. Why would they have any reason to enter our room? It wasn't our steward. It was a man and a woman. They gave no explanation and backed out quickly. I know I should have enquired into it, but I didn't. It's bothered me ever since. Now we have another cruise coming up and it's on my mind again. Has anyone ever had a similar occurrence?

Where they in RCL uniforms?

Well, I have to admit it did cross my mind.:)

As someone else stated, I can see why two people would come to the room- so they would not be accused of anything improper. I would say that having a male and female enter any room would be even more likely- so that no one could say that something improper was happening. Obviously anything could happen, but the likelihood that a sexually related allegation would be made might be less as long as one same sex person was in the room.

I seriously doubt they were in a relationship and coming into a passengers room to close the deal.