The FIRST thing you'll notice about Holland America is..."

Tapi

Hi:

We will be taking our first Holland America cruise in June. I have bounced between Carnival and Royal Caribbean during the last 10 years (Platinum on both), but I'm ready for a different experience.

So in your opinion, what will be the first thing I'll notice about sailing on Holland America (that will be different from what I'm "used" to)?

I know it's a bit subjective, but I will greatly appreciate any input. :) Thanks.

1st will be the Blue Hull that you'll notice:)

And then things like:

The ambiance is more sedate than many other lines.

There are no water slides or Rock Walls to climb.

Fewer restaurants than on many f the larger ships.

Room Service is free 24/7.

Generally fewer children (unless it is during a school break)

So many more but..........

Joanie

Hi:

We will be taking our first Holland America cruise in June. I have bounced between Carnival and Royal Caribbean during the last 10 years (Platinum on both), but I'm ready for a different experience.

So in your opinion, what will be the first thing I'll notice about sailing on Holland America (that will be different from what I'm "used" to)?

I know it's a bit subjective, but I will greatly appreciate any input. :) Thanks.

A deserted ship at 11 pm......

I'll probably get flogged for saying this, but one of the first things you'll probably notice about HAL is that the average age of pax is much older than you usually see on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, and the longer the cruise, the even older the passengers.

Note: I'm no spring chicken myself. :o

Our group consists of passengers ranging from 17 months old to 74 years old (14 family members) so we have a little bit of everything. :D. Even on Carnival, we are back in our stateroom by 9-10pm (we barely make it to the shows most nights!)

First off, love your dog!

Second, I'm new to cruising (my first, aboard the Volendam leaving Vancouver on June 26) and glad to hear the compliments!

That's it for me!

(There would be a picture of my rottenweiler, Rox, right here if I could figure out how to post it!) :D

flowers in the Lido, flowers here and there,

fabulous crew, greeting by your room steward,

beautiful hand towels in the public washrooms,

fresh squeezed oj in the morning

room service - fabulous

I could go on and on - suffice it to say -

there is nothing like walking on a Holland America ship - once you have done one cruise - you will feel like you are home the second time.

A deserted ship at 11 pm......

Depends on the cruise. Some of the more recent cruises we've been on, the action in Northern Lights doesn't start until after midnight. Our cruise to the Panama Canal that venue didn't close until after 2 a.m. almost every night. And it was full of 20-40 somethings and us, DH & I. The "kids" dubbed us the chaperones. LOL.

To OP: Among things you'll notice that are different---lovely art collection (take some time to roam through the ship and enjoy it), fresh flower arrangements, wonderful crew who now know us by name, beds to die for, very accommodating staff (they've worked very hard to accommodate our requests), understated ambiance, few public announcements, wrap around promenade deck, gracious fellow passengers. We keep coming back; this is our 7th HAL cruise in 4 years.

which ship are u on?

We will be on the Westerdam.

Thanks everybody for all the replies so far. This thread is having the effect I was hoping for: to get a feel for what we will find when we board...:)

Archived