Trail mix confiscated?

I am making my wife a special trail mix and hope to give it to her on our March 27 Golden Princess cruise to Hawaii, but I am wondering if I should be concerned about the possibility that it could be confiscated when we board, or if it could be confiscated when returning to the ship after being in port. The trail mix primarily contains dried fruit and nuts and some yogurt chips.

I am making my wife a special trail mix and hope to give it to her on our March 27 Golden Princess cruise to Hawaii, but I am wondering if I should be concerned about the possibility that it could be confiscated when we board, or if it could be confiscated when returning to the ship after being in port. The trail mix primarily contains dried fruit and nuts and some yogurt chips.

Since you already live in California, you don't have to worry about bringing it into the state. I don't think you should have any problem putting a ziplock bag of the trail mix into your carry on bag. But you will definitely won't be able to take it off the ship, not in Hawaii nor back into California upon your return.

You'll only be able to bring factory sealed snacks off into Hawaii. There will be announcements (and possibly mentions in the port-day Patters) when the ship pulls into each port (or anchors, in the case of Lahaina) that will state that food is not to be taken off the ship.

As stated, you will have no issue bringing it onboard, but it will never come off the ship, either in Hawaii, or when you get back to California.

If you are considering buying something premade (sealed), I would avoid anything with fruit in it to be on the safe side.

bringing it on board at embarkation: fine.

it may NOT be taken off the ship at any point. only prepackaged foods in their sealed container may be taken off in any port.

bringing it on board at embarkation: fine.

it may NOT be taken off the ship at any point. only prepackaged foods in their sealed container may be taken off in any port.

I agree, especially if there are bits of fruit in it.

You can bring food onto a ship (at least on HAL you can bring most any food you want) but you cannot usually bring food OFF a ship. Taking your dried fruit ashore could well violate agriculture bans. Don't bring dried fruit off a ship. Penalties and fines can be stiff.

I am just curious.....why do multiple people answer the same question with the same answer when the OP's question was answered by the first poster? Honestly, just curious. It just seems redundant.

I am just curious.....why do multiple people answer the same question with the same answer when the OP's question was answered by the first poster? Honestly, just curious. It just seems redundant.

I have wondered that also. I could understand if they were posting within a few minutes of each other.

I really think many people post without reading the replies.

For the same reason that people also feel a need to post questions such as yours maybe?

Seriously, several people all answer the question gives a bit more validation to the answer. If only one person said yes then I would be more likely to question if I had received an accurate answer. If 5 people say yes then it becomes more likely to be true.

Actually, I appreciate the redundant answers (even though they are definitely not what I want to hear). Although it has never been known to happen that a person would post bogus information on CC :rolleyes: the redundant answers serve to strengthen the original point, in my opinion.

One thing so many similar replies do is to confirm what the original answer was. It does show that the consensus of opinion confirms that one cannot remove food from the ship.

I'll add to the same answer saying that once we left a ship in Miami. We passed several "last warning" signs about throwing fruit or food in the waste basket and not take it any further. I think they used the word "amnesty", and instructed folks to get rid of the fruit and plant material. I don't see how anyone could have missed the large signs.

Anyhow, as we waited in line an adorable dog with a policeman came by and the dog was sniffing everybody's bags. And lo and behold, the dog stopped right at the woman in front of us and wouldn't budge. He nudged the policeman, who asked the woman if she had fruit and sure enough she did, bananas and apples.

I didn't know they had fruit sniffing dogs. I thought they were just for drugs. In short, I would not take trail mix off a ship, but I'm sure you can take trail mix onto a ship.

Some people don't read more than the first post and then answer exactly what has already been said. Other posters just post for post count.

Thanks for the answers, but let me see if I can push the envelope here (I'm not known for giving up easily). What if I seal the trail mix in a series of small vacuum-sealed packages, labeled as if they were bought from a store, and make sure that only sealed packages are brought off the ship?

Thanks for the answers, but let me see if I can push the envelope here (I'm not known for giving up easily). What if I seal the trail mix in a series of small vacuum-sealed packages, labeled as if they were bought from a store, and make sure that only sealed packages are brought off the ship?

As you yourself say, you are pushing the envelope. You can only take off factory sealed foods. If you are willing to face the consequences and possibly pay a large fine, try it. To me, it is not worth it.

You've been a member here for 11 years and don't understand this happens all the time?? :p:D

And we have absolutely seen the food dogs in action on the Cozumel pier. Beautiful black lab just doing his job, would sit down when he smelled food in someone's bag who was walking by. Bag would be searched, food confiscated.

Is it really worth making such a deal over this trail mix? If it's (as you say) just dried fruit, nuts, and yogurt chips, I don't get why its so special that you'd have to have it ashore? :confused:

Just let it go. You'll b enjoying a great vacation and a "terrific surprise".....leave the trail mix at home (or on the ship). I doubt you'll miss it.

.... What if I seal the trail mix in a series of small vacuum-sealed packages, labeled as if they were bought from a store...

So lying about it? Well, I wouldn't advise it and at this point, I will chime in too with my "it seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth".

:D Yet some more reasons:

Some people are slower typists than others.

Some people start to reply and get distracted or interrupted in the middle so it takes a while until they finish typing their answer and hit Submit Reply.

One does not see other replies that are posted while you are typing, or during the times that you stop to answer the phone or get yourself a drink, or answer your child's question, or whatever.

So you may not even be aware that others have already posted the same thing unless you go back and read through the thread again later.

For those of you questioning why Terrific would want to bring this special trail mix (which I think is called "Love Mix" in his home) on to the ship, you should read this...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613067 This will explain why this trail mix is so special.

All that being said, Terrific - I would bring just enough (maybe a little less) on board to last for the week. Share it in your cabin - maybe on the balcony with a glass of wine as you sail the islands. Don't try taking it off or "skirting" the system - DW wouldn't want you to get in trouble! :)

For those of you questioning why Terrific would want to bring this special trail mix (which I think is called "Love Mix" in his home) on to the ship, you should read this...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613067 This will explain why this trail mix is so special.

All that being said, Terrific - I would bring just enough (maybe a little less) on board to last for the week. Share it in your cabin - maybe on the balcony with a glass of wine as you sail the islands. Don't try taking it off or "skirting" the system - DW wouldn't want you to get in trouble! :)

Good advice, olemissreb.

Actually, what I am working on is an updated version of the original "Love Mix," which I first made a little over a year ago. It has several new ingredients (tropical/Hawaiian items). I just would hate to throw any of it away (some of the ingredients were extremely pricey for a cheap guy like me who usually never wants to spend more than 10 cents an ounce on food).

And for those who wonder whether the Love Mix itself is the "surprise," it is only one of the surprises. (If I had to count the number of surprises within the multi-layered, continually expanding surprise which has happened over the past year or so I don't think I could do so if my life depended upon it.)

But as one of the first surprises, the Love Mix has been a special part of this entire process, and was always envisioned to be a part of our Hawaiian cruise experience. I will miss being able to have DW munch on some Love Mix on a Hawaiian beach somewhere (especially when from my perspective that the way I intended for it to be used would not have been really violating the intention of any laws).

Nevertheless, I guess I have been sufficiently (and appropriately) chastised enough to move on to focus my attention on the "next" surprise. She'll have plenty of opportunity to munch on the new improved Hawaiian Love Mix (or should I now call it Aloha Mix?) after the cruise.

Good advice, olemissreb.

Actually, what I am working on is an updated version of the original "Love Mix," which I first made a little over a year ago. It has several new ingredients (tropical/Hawaiian items). I just would hate to throw any of it away (some of the ingredients were extremely pricey for a cheap guy like me who usually never wants to spend more than 10 cents an ounce on food).

And for those who wonder whether the Love Mix itself is the "surprise," it is only one of the surprises. (If I had to count the number of surprises within the multi-layered, continually expanding surprise which has happened over the past year or so I don't think I could do so if my life depended upon it.)

But as one of the first surprises, the Love Mix has been a special part of this entire process, and was always envisioned to be a part of our Hawaiian cruise experience. I will miss being able to have DW munch on some Love Mix on a Hawaiian beach somewhere (especially when from my perspective that the way I intended for it to be used would not have been really violating the intention of any laws).

Nevertheless, I guess I have been sufficiently (and appropriately) chastised enough to move on to focus my attention on the "next" surprise. She'll have plenty of opportunity to munch on the new improved Hawaiian Love Mix (or should I now call it Aloha Mix?) after the cruise.

Food for thought - can you get the ingredients in sealed packages and mix em in a separate bag after you gotten off in port? I don't know whats in your mix to know if that would be possible or realistic but I figured I would mention it.

For the same reason that people also feel a need to post questions such as yours maybe?

Seriously, several people all answer the question gives a bit more validation to the answer. If only one person said yes then I would be more likely to question if I had received an accurate answer. If 5 people say yes then it becomes more likely to be true.

Exactly. Even though I've been known to start typing a reply here, and then get distracted (need to do something in the kitchen or answer a question for my daughter, etc) before I finish typing a post. So often I won't know someone jumped in with the same answer as mine until I hit "submit reply" and then read the post before mine.

There are some subjects here that people will often give an alternate answer -- see the threads on tipping, for instance. Ten of us will say that removing the autotips and then giving cash really hurts the crew member in the long run, but there will always be someone who insists that the crew member will pocket the money and not turn it in (something that can get him canned).

And you may have noticed that I specifically (I think, unless I screwed up) used the phrase "factory sealed" which is different from packing it in a ziplock bag, which can get the OP in trouble if he's caught. But if he's smart, after our advice, he'll make a guesstimate of how much mix will last for the cruise and take just that much. The rest he can leave in a canister at home to keep it fresh so that when they get back, they can prolong the memories of their cruise.

Many of us who don't get to take vacations every year do try to do special things as part of the ones we can take. I just wouldn't want to risk getting a fine and I don't think my hubby would either.

Archived