Labadee - no more upgraded buffet?

nbsjcruiser

I read a post on the private islands board that when you book the Cabana at Labadee you no longer get the upgraded buffet or bottled water. Does anyone know if this is true? We paid $250 for a cabana on the Indy for next February because we enjoyed the cabana last year. If this is true they can stick the cabana where the sun don't shine. Ain't no way I'm paying $250 for a seat in the shade and then have to tip the guy afterwards. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I read a post on the private islands board that when you book the Cabana at Labadee you no longer get the upgraded buffet or bottled water. Does anyone know if this is true? We paid $250 for a cabana on the Indy for next February because we enjoyed the cabana last year. If this is true they can stick the cabana where the sun don't shine. Ain't no way I'm paying $250 for a seat in the shade and then have to tip the guy afterwards. Nope. Not gonna happen.

The post you are referring to says the description for the excursion no longer says there is an upgraded buffet. They said they were trying to get information about whether the buffet was discontinued, they haven't sailed yet so I wouldn't take any of what they assume as fact.

From Royals website

OVERVIEW: The upscale beach side cabanas of Nellie's beach with direct access to the water are a great place to relax and enjoy the seclusion, while remaining among the action of Nellie's Beach. HIGHLIGHT: Cabana rental for the full day. Furnished with luxury resort style lounge chairs and ceiling fan. Rental includes 2 floating beach mats, lunch buffet at Columbus Cove Cafe, Dragon's Cafe or Cafe Labadee, and the use of beach towels. Personal cabana attendant service. NOTE: Pricing is per cabana, not per person. One person in the party should reserve

Hmmmm the poster info seems correct. Becoming more like Carnival everyday!!

From the RCI website:

Rental includes 2 floating beach mats, lunch buffet at Columbus Cove Cafe, Dragon's Cafe or Cafe Labadee,

It looks as if the upscale buffet is no longer listed.:( Our group has already reserved three OTW cabanas for our 2015 cruise. This does not make me happy at the price of the cabanas.

From the RCI website:

Rental includes 2 floating beach mats, lunch buffet at Columbus Cove Cafe, Dragon's Cafe or Cafe Labadee,

It looks as if the upscale buffet is no longer listed.:( Our group has already reserved three OTW cabanas for our 2015 cruise. This does not make me happy at the price of the cabanas.

DW just got off the phone with someone at resolutions and apparently the upgraded buffet is no longer offered. Also, this person said it was never offered at Nellie's beach which is a big pile of steaming crapola because we were there in March and had the upgraded buffet. $250 to sit in the shade? I don't think so.

DW just got off the phone with someone at resolutions and apparently the upgraded buffet is no longer offered. Also, this person said it was never offered at Nellie's beach which is a big pile of steaming crapola because we were there in March and had the upgraded buffet. $250 to sit in the shade? I don't think so.

if you rent a cabana on Barefoot Beach; is the upgraded lunch included??

So, refresh my memory, what special items on on the upgraded buffet? Can't imagine that would be the deciding factor on whether or not to book a cabana.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can't remember everything of course but NY striploin was very nice. The thing of it is, it was listed as available when we booked it along with the free bottled water so we booked it at $250 and were ok with it. To find out later that they yanked the free lunch and water? To me its the principle of the thing. It would be no different than buying a car and agreeing on free mats and then find out when you pick it up that they decided you weren't going to get the free mats. Is it something expensive or would make a big difference in my enjoyment of the car? Absolutely not but we agreed on certain amenities and I paid the price knowing I would get them. Once they yanked them, it feels like a bait and switch to me. Sometimes principle can't be measured in $.

I am disappointed about this, we're were going to be booking a cabana in April for our cruise on the IOS, now I don't know if we will. Sounds like a lot of money for shade and someone you need to tip afterward!

Edited by Poorplaya

I think that I would save the $250.00 and find a tree for shade for free. And isn't that the same price that they charge for the cabanas on Barefoot Beach where they have the upgraded BBQ? I wonder if they are discontinuing that also.

Yeah, we had the upgraded buffet both times were on Nellies in a Cabana, so RCI, as usual, has no idea what they are talking about. We don't rent the cabana for the lunch. It's not that great. We'll wait and see the next couple of people who report back. We might just go grab a bite elsewhere if this is the case and bring it back, but we're not going to stress about a meal. Water isn't that big a deal either as there is plenty available otherwise, but it was nice.

We decided to rent a cabana this trip because we're there on Allure and like having the shade with that many people. Next March, on Grandeur, we decided to not rent one and just plan to move around and see some sights we haven't seen before.

Haven't been to nellies yet but we do have a cabana reserved in dec. we have had a cabana on barefoot beach and loved it but the "upscale" lunch is not so great. The steaks were very thin and tough. The shrimp kabobs were raw! So we wound up having hamburgers and hot dogs anyway. Not much seating there either so they may be spreading out to other areas so people don't complain. I won't miss the lunch BUT I will miss the water if they discontinue that:mad:

From Royals website

OVERVIEW: The upscale beach side cabanas of Nellie's beach with direct access to the water are a great place to relax and enjoy the seclusion, while remaining among the action of Nellie's Beach. HIGHLIGHT: Cabana rental for the full day. Furnished with luxury resort style lounge chairs and ceiling fan. Rental includes 2 floating beach mats, lunch buffet at Columbus Cove Cafe, Dragon's Cafe or Cafe Labadee, and the use of beach towels. Personal cabana attendant service. NOTE: Pricing is per cabana, not per person. One person in the party should reserve

Hmmmm the poster info seems correct. Becoming more like Carnival everyday!!

Thank you for taking the time to post the information.

Wow, I wonder what impact this will have.

Sea Ya

We like to experience all that Ldee has to offer, if we want to visit the market we do, or go to a couple of the beaches, etc.. Never saw any benefit to renting something with little to no air circulation and an obstructed view, not 360.

Plus, we always get a great lunch at the pier, much better than the buffets, and we get to sit in ac:D

we have had a cabana on barefoot beach and loved it but the "upscale" lunch is not so great. The steaks were very thin and tough. The shrimp kabobs were raw! So we wound up having hamburgers and hot dogs anyway.

That's the way I feel about it, too. I liked that the "upgraded buffet" was close by, but other than that, it wasn't that appealing to me.

Can't remember everything of course but NY striploin was very nice. The thing of it is, it was listed as available when we booked it along with the free bottled water so we booked it at $250 and were ok with it. To find out later that they yanked the free lunch and water? To me its the principle of the thing. It would be no different than buying a car and agreeing on free mats and then find out when you pick it up that they decided you weren't going to get the free mats. Is it something expensive or would make a big difference in my enjoyment of the car? Absolutely not but we agreed on certain amenities and I paid the price knowing I would get them. Once they yanked them, it feels like a bait and switch to me. Sometimes principle can't be measured in $.

Totally agree with this.

I booked and paid based on the description provided and now I feel as though I've been duped. This is just another change RCI has made that I feel shows they don't care. The price should be adjusted to make it seem a better value. If not then we will cancel and get a refund. Don't think they will see quite the high demand for cabanas now.

Since the upgraded buffet is at Barefoot beach, the suite beach, perhaps it is a move to keep the beach and suite amenities more exclusive. Maybe the buffet was too crowded with all the suite passengers, Barefoot cabana occupants (maybe not suite guests) and now all the cabana occupants from Nellies beach. Each cabana at Nellies can potentially add an extra 6 to the buffet.

I'm sure cancelling the cabana is not a problem for those who want to do so.

M

Since the upgraded buffet is at Barefoot beach, the suite beach, perhaps it is a move to keep the beach and suite amenities more exclusive. Maybe the buffet was too crowded with all the suite passengers, Barefoot cabana occupants (maybe not suite guests) and now all the cabana occupants from Nellies beach. Each cabana at Nellies can potentially add an extra 6 to the buffet.

I'm sure cancelling the cabana is not a problem for those who want to do so.

M

I think you've nailed it. Have read complaints from posters about how crowded the buffet at Barefoot was becoming.

I think you've nailed it. Have read complaints from posters about how crowded the buffet at Barefoot was becoming.

Having been on Barefoot before and after Nellie's cabanas were built, I can say, absolutely, the lunch was impacted. Really long lines and very little seating. But, to remove the lunch and water and still charge the same amount seems wrong.

Edited by BND

We have been to barefoot beach 4 times.

Other changes have occured over the years.

When we sailed the Mariner it was an open beach and beautiful and sandy, with no suite perks, enjoyed by all.

When we sailed Freedom, it became a suite beach and only open to those in a GS and above.

Those years I remember the beach being rocky as you entered the water, and the attendants were very helpful. We were set-up under our three trees and had three loungers placed. Our pop was re-filled frequently once they knew we had the soda card. We were given free snorkel gear, and floaties. They came and got us when the buffet was serving.

Now this past July, the entrance to the water was not as Rocky. We had to ask for the complimentary snorkel and floaties...our attendant seemed not as eager to work for his wages.

It has changed.

Now watch if they are taking this away from the Nelllies beach cabanas (the buffet) what other changes are coming???

Sea Ya