Drink prices removed

Clarea

That is crazy, who wants to buy something if you do not know the cost?? I thought the drinks were reasonably priced on last cruise. My on occasion I do like some high end stuff that I would need to know the cost before ordering ( Johnny walker blue for example)

What? Like some say, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it?

Did the Beverage Manager say why, or did you not ask?

He said something about having different prices in different parts of the world and being too difficult to keep the menus up to date. I did not find that explanation convincing.

He said something about having different prices in different parts of the world and being too difficult to keep the menus up to date. I did not find that explanation convincing.

Now, now, don't be so skeptical.:D

I think the IT guys got to them.:p

I was surprised by this as well on our Serenade cruise last week. I thought the prices seemed a bit higher as well, compared to our cruise on Indy last December.

The new drink menus that we had also did not include any of the mixed drinks we enjoyed on our cruise last year and which, I thought from reading these boards, were RCI standards. However, we asked for a few things that weren't on the menu, like the lava flow, the frozen lemonade, and various flavored margaritas, and they were able to make them for us. But it was always a guessing game as to how much they were going to cost.

Ahh corporate ** at its finest:rolleyes: Hoping most people will just go ahead and order whatever sounds interesting instead of possibly being put off by the price of that $10 drink.

At least they had no problem telling you what the prices were.

I think it has to do with the drink packages. My example is the dining room and wine by the glass. If you notice their are not many 12 dollar glasses listed,but if you go to another bar on the ship you will see the wines with prices by the glass and a three digit number next to it. I found one I liked and remembered the name and number, I actually took a picture of it

The next evening went to main dining room seen the wine I found the night before for $12 a glass on dining room menu but no price. I tried to order but was told was not available on drink package because it exceeded the max price,pulled out phone showed them a picture ask if they would double check. Long story short they served us the wine the rest of the cruise in dining room when we asked.

My opinion is they do not want you drinking the expensive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it has to do with the drink packages. My example is the dining room and wine by the glass. If you notice their are not many 12 dollar glasses listed,but if you go to another bar on the ship you will see the wines with prices by the glass and a three digit number next to it. I found one I liked and remembered the name and number, I actually took a picture of it

The next evening went to main dining room seen the wine I found the night before for $12 a glass on dining room menu but no price. I tried to order but was told was not available on drink package because it exceeded the max price,pulled out phone showed them a picture ask if they would double check. Long story short they served us the wine the rest of the cruise in dining room when we asked.

My opinion is they do not want you drinking the expensive stuff.

Incredible that you have to take a photo of a menu in order to prove the price. :rolleyes: Guess that won't be possible much longer.

Were the options greatly reduced as well?

Just off of Quantum... EVERY mixed drink on the menu was $12 (obscene IMHO) and there was quite a bit less options than on other ships. I am eager to see if it has spread or will spread quickly across the fleet.

Judy

Just off of Quantum... EVERY mixed drink on the menu was $12 (obscene IMHO) and there was quite a bit less options than on other ships. I am eager to see if it has spread or will spread quickly across the fleet.

Judy

WOW! It must be due to the drink packages. Although, I truly thought they were coming out ahead on the deal overall.

I can only remember 1 drink on Allure last January that was up to the $12 limit (for the mixed drinks). Most seemed like they were between $6.50-$8.50 range.

On another note, I was just going through a box I never unpacked and it had a few of the photo folders from a cruise we took in 2006. For some reason there were some drink receipts in there. I was shocked to see I bought a glass of wine at dinner for $3.95 + gratuity...just a little over $4! And it wasn't "house" or "Le Terrible". I also had a Miller Lite for under $3 :eek::D

I noticed on the Adventure in November that the bar receipt now just shows a total price for the drink, before it showed the drink price, tip and total. Is this to make you think that no tip has been added so you will add a tip?

WOW! It must be due to the drink packages. Although, I truly thought they were coming out ahead on the deal overall.

I can only remember 1 drink on Allure last January that was up to the $12 limit (for the mixed drinks). Most seemed like they were between $6.50-$8.50 range.

On another note, I was just going through a box I never unpacked and it had a few of the photo folders from a cruise we took in 2006. For some reason there were some drink receipts in there. I was shocked to see I bought a glass of wine at dinner for $3.95 + gratuity...just a little over $4! And it wasn't "house" or "Le Terrible". I also had a Miller Lite for under $3 :eek::D

Yes, but keep in mind that was almost nine years ago. The last time I ordered a Michelob Ultra onboard an RCI ship was 4 months ago and it was, I believe @ $5. I think that $4 wine you bought in '06 was either house or close to it. You can get a few nice wines by the glass for $10-12. I got good sized Grey Goose Vodka Tonics for $6.75. But then I really didn't pay those prices because I had the drink package. Now if they raise the price on that....well, I'm still hoping for a D+ discount on the drink packages!!!!

Also most of the ships overall pricing on cabins is the same or lower than nine years ago. Cruising is still a very good bang for your buck within the travel industry.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

I noticed on the Adventure in November that the bar receipt now just shows a total price for the drink, before it showed the drink price, tip and total. Is this to make you think that no tip has been added so you will add a tip?

That is the way it was on my Mariner Trans Atlantic from Brazil to Rome in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is some truth to this. In Australia menu prices must reflect the full price including tax, so we have noticed that they use different menus here than in the Caribbean. I suspect with the move into Asia and additional European routes this has created even more variation.

Judy

$12 for a regular mixed drink!! That's crazy. I don't think the Quantum would have a different menu and prices than the rest of the fleet.

When on voyager last week (Singapore to sydney) a very senior person told me that this is a fleet wide change implemented by the new Vice President. I told him it wasn't good enough not to show pricing and it is a mistake to move away from the old colour cocktail drink menu.

Like others have said I just ordered lava flows and the bar staff made them with any spirit. They were $8 and shots were $7, eg a B52.

At one of the shows they were selling lava flows so go figure that out!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app