Drink prices removed

Clarea

I noticed on the Adventure in November that the bar receipt now just shows a total price for the drink, before it showed the drink price, tip and total. Is this to make you think that no tip has been added so you will add a tip?

Just got off Brilliance yesterday and the receipt showed drink price and tip and total.

I received a response back saying that the menus without pricing were a printers error and it is being corrected.

Will have to book another cruise to verify.

I should have taken a photo of the menus, but they did not look like there had been a printer error to me. The prices were missing from menus in Viking Crown, Schooner, and the Pub. The Pub had a different menu format than the others.

Received this email reply within 10 minutes after I sent it to Mr. Bayley. Sounds like he is an outstanding executive.

Do not worry. The prices were ommitted by mistake and menus are being re printed.

Sent from IBM Notes Traveler

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

Tel: 305 539-6107

Cel: 786 282-4578

Fax: 305 982-2403

MBayley@rccl.com

Denny --- Drink prices ---

To: "" <mbayley@rccl.com>

Date: Tue, Dec 16, 2014 2:03 PM

Subject: Drink prices

Mr. Bayley--my wife and I are sailing on the Allure on Nov 29, 2015. This is our second Royal cruise. We are staying in a Grand Suite. Please put the drink prices on all of the bar menus. Thanks.

Sounds like they are really trying to push the packages. Since most mixed drinks fall within the $12 (at least on anything older than Quantum), it gives the idea that the bars are now set up with the packages as the default. I'm lucky DW got the package as a present for our honeymoon, because otherwise it would be insane/infuriating to have to check the prices each time we had to order. Let's hope this actually hurts over bar sales enough to reverse it.

Received this email reply within 10 minutes after I sent it to Mr. Bayley. Sounds like he is an outstanding executive.

Do not worry. The prices were ommitted by mistake and menus are being re printed.

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

MBayley@rccl.com

Mr. Bayley--my wife and I are sailing on the Allure on Nov 29, 2015. This is our second Royal cruise. We are staying in a Grand Suite. Please put the drink prices on all of the bar menus. Thanks.

Similar to the response I received.

Printer error- my derrière! I have worked with printers all my career and they do not go to press until the final blue line is reviewed and signed off by somebody at the company. Somewhere, somehow, someone at RCI approved the final version. That person is either an idiot not to have noticed the prices were missing OR, the prices were not suppose to be there. I think we all know which is correct.

My guess is that one of the bean counters figured if they left the prices off, they wouldn't have to reprint the menus in order to change the price. This is a cost savings and would give them much more flexibility in adjusting price to the market where the ship is sailing.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but on our Explorer cruise last week, we noticed new drink menus with prices missing. The Beverage Manager said it was a directive from corporate.

I guess that explains how I was able to be first to answer a couple of questions last week! :p

He said something about having different prices in different parts of the world and being too difficult to keep the menus up to date. I did not find that explanation convincing.

My first thought was to keep people with the drink packages from trying to make sure they get their money's worth and drinking excessively.

With regards the Quantum bar menu I did immediately realise the drinks were not individually priced but I could swear that I saw the one price for all written so small I nearly missed it, I could have been wrong:(.

I do know I never asked, too embarrassing, that is what the bosses are probably relying on but you would buy one drink and say " they're having a laugh!" and never buy anymore.

I bought a drink in Music Hall ,270 and Boleros. All were $12 plus gratuity. I think I might have to start taking a carry out:D. The Scots will understand ;).

Edited by heatherb1958

My first thought was to keep people with the drink packages from trying to make sure they get their money's worth and drinking excessively.

I think someone alluded to this earlier, but assuming it's not some sort of printing mistake (that the Bar Manager on our recent cruise was unaware of), they could actually have dynamic (Royal's favorite concept lately) drink pricing that changes on a day to day basis. Maybe even hour to hour as demand changes.

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

MBayley@rccl.com

He may be a good executive, and the email looks like it is from him, but do you actually think he sent the email out? It would be amazing if he has time in his schedule to respond to a question about the drink menu. If he does, as a stock holder I say he is is overpaid! Seems he hires good staff so in that regard, I guess that can make him an Outstanding Executive.

If he happens to be a personal friend , and you regularly correspond with him, then yes , I guess it is possible that he responded to your question.

enjoy

M.

I think someone alluded to this earlier, but assuming it's not some sort of printing mistake (that the Bar Manager on our recent cruise was unaware of), they could actually have dynamic (Royal's favorite concept lately) drink pricing that changes on a day to day basis. Maybe even hour to hour as demand changes.

Do I have to reserve my drinks and where I will be drinking them now for my October 2015 sailing?? :D

Edited by molly361

"Dynamic Drinking"....Hilarious!!! :D

He may be a good executive, and the email looks like it is from him, but do you actually think he sent the email out? It would be amazing if he has time in his schedule to respond to a question about the drink menu. If he does, as a stock holder I say he is is overpaid! Seems he hires good staff so in that regard, I guess that can make him an Outstanding Executive.

If he happens to be a personal friend , and you regularly correspond with him, then yes , I guess it is possible that he responded to your question.

enjoy

M.

Sounds like you're almost jealous he might have received a reply directly from Mr Bayley ???????

Back in September we were on the Enchantment and often sit at the bar watching bartenders make the drinks. We noticed that for the first time, every bartender was using a shot glass to pour liquor when making a drink. They were only using the small end of the silver colored shot glass (1 oz. I imagine).

Drinks were extremely weak, as compared to previous cruises. I could barely taste any scotch in my scotch and water! We thought it might because of the number of people getting the drink package and to keep them from getting drunk. We were paying for our drinks individually and felt that we were getting royally ripped off. :mad:

Back in September we were on the Enchantment and often sit at the bar watching bartenders make the drinks. We noticed that for the first time, every bartender was using a shot glass to pour liquor when making a drink. They were only using the small end of the silver colored shot glass (1 oz. I imagine).

Drinks were extremely weak, as compared to previous cruises. I could barely taste any scotch in my scotch and water! We thought it might because of the number of people getting the drink package and to keep them from getting drunk. We were paying for our drinks individually and felt that we were getting royally ripped off. :mad:

That's a jigger and it ensures even pours. You weren't getting ripped off. You just weren't getting heavy handed free pours

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

MBayley@rccl.com

Works for me.

With that said now 10 more people will feel the need to contact Royal Caribbean :eek:

###

RCCL has a new President & CEO (Michael Bayley) perhaps he has something to do with the change ? :confused:

His email address is - Mbayley@rccl.com

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

MBayley@rccl.com

Could be that the bars menus without prices was a decision made by someone at RCI in the time when they were without a president and CEO. Bayley was just recently appointed and the menus would have been printed prior to his appointment. Perhaps he is just finding out about this and putting an end to it.

Just off the Brilliance and there was a guy that brought 3 different receipts up to the bar and asked the bartenders how he was charged 3 different prices the same drink.

The two bartenders really looked at the receipts and were puzzled. It wasn't a matter of getting better alchohol in one drink. The wording was the exact same, but rang up with three different prices.

That is a little scary. I do the drink package, but if you are paying per drink, I'd expect accurate pricing.

TGI Fridays is being sued in federal court for this practice and not listing drink prices on the menu a simple Google search will lead you to the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was no drink pricing at Oasis Schoonerbar in october transatlantic. Not even a list of available drinks. So I did not order anything without asking prices. I would have ordered more drinks if I had a list of drinks. I like trying something different. Probably something Royal would not promote when you have the drinkpackages.

I would never buy an alcoholic drink package as I do not drink that much. We liked the wine and dine package though which will disappear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app