Where is my second roll!!!!

sullyair

"Why does it take so long to get my second roll at dinner?"

This was the first question asked of the captain and his staff during last weeks captains corner on the Quantum of the Seas.

Fortunately, the crowd broke into laughter

My advice: Remember that you are speaking to the command staff of a $1.4B vessel and try to ask a question that is appropriate to that level of management. If you have a dinner roll issue, dealing with the restaurant manager and noting on the post cruise survey how they handled your complaint is appropriate in my always humble opinion.

FYI I asked about the aircraft carrier operating of our starboard and also about any proven efficiencies realized by the air lubricarion system. Maybe I should have told him my butter was too soft.

I was on a Transatlantic crossing on the Independence of the Seas last November. We attended the Captain's Q&A, expecting, like you, some insights into the incredible vessel we were sailing aboard. Sadly we got much of the same. I can't recall all of the questions, but here are some of the ones I remember.

"We've sailed on this ship every year for the last 8 years. When are you going to get new shows?"

"There used to be shower caps in the bathrooms. I didn't bring any showercaps, because they were provided on previous cruises. Why are there no showercaps?"

"Why are there no tea bags provided in my cabins? I want to make a cup of tea in my cabin and I can't"

We cringed. Everyone around us cringed, as the Captain, again and again, politely and tactfully answered. Eventually someone spoke up and shamed the miserable complainers. Everyone applauded.

This was the first question asked of the captain and his staff during last weeks captains corner on the Quantum of the Seas.

This just became my favorite thread of the weekend .. I can't wait to see what other people add ! :eek::rolleyes::p

I was on a Transatlantic crossing on the Independence of the Seas last November. We attended the Captain's Q&A, expecting, like you, some insights into the incredible vessel we were sailing aboard. Sadly we got much of the same. I can't recall all of the questions, but here are some of the ones I remember.

"We've sailed on this ship every year for the last 8 years. When are you going to get new shows?"

"There used to be shower caps in the bathrooms. I didn't bring any showercaps, because they were provided on previous cruises. Why are there no showercaps?"

"Why are there no tea bags provided in my cabins? I want to make a cup of tea in my cabin and I can't"

We cringed. Everyone around us cringed, as the Captain, again and again, politely and tactfully answered. Eventually someone spoke up and shamed the miserable complainers. Everyone applauded.

We were on the same cruise & also attended this Q & A, we were shocked & appalled at those people who asked the captain those ridiculous questions!

Like you, we applauded the person who spoke up & shamed most of those complainers. Unfortunately the "shower cap" people were sat very near us, we looked at them in disbelief & got up & left. I doubt whether they realised the opportunity they were faced with.

We were on the same cruise & also attended this Q & A, we were shocked & appalled at those people who asked the captain those ridiculous questions!

Like you, we applauded the person who spoke up & shamed most of those complainers. Unfortunately the "shower cap" people were sat very near us, we looked at them in disbelief & got up & left. I doubt whether they realised the opportunity they were faced with.

I gotta ask ... this person who spoke up and shamed the whiners .... how did he/she do it ? what was said ?

My advice: Remember that you are speaking to the command staff of a $1.4B vessel and try to ask a question that is appropriate to that level of management. If you have a dinner roll issue, dealing with the restaurant manager and noting on the post cruise survey how they handled your complaint is appropriate in my always humble opinion.

FYI I asked about the aircraft carrier operating of our starboard and also about any proven efficiencies realized by the air lubricarion system. Maybe I should have told him my butter was too soft.

I'm just playing Devils advocate here, but since you made the comment about other people asking absurd questions... There were probably just as many people sitting there thinking "who cares, ask something normal" at your detailed technical questions.

I know - I am very torn on this. How many times have people come back and complained about things that annoyed them on the trip and are told - why didn't you address it on the cruise. These might be ridiculous complaints, but the staff provided a forum to address questions/comments and these people are utilizing it.

I'm just playing Devils advocate here, but since you made the comment about other people asking absurd questions... There were probably just as many people sitting there thinking "who cares, ask something normal" at your detailed technical questions.

Lol. I agree !!!

I see your point. I see aircraft carriers on every cruise and every cruise cruise ship in the world has this type of lubrication system. Pretty routine stuff -- not as exciting as pastry talk.

I know - I am very torn on this. How many times have people come back and complained about things that annoyed them on the trip and are told - why didn't you address it on the cruise. These might be ridiculous complaints, but the staff provided a forum to address questions/comments and these people are utilizing it.

Yes, the passengers should address their problems on the cruise, but to the right people, such as guest services or the head waiter. The captains Q&A is supposed to be an informative session about the ships and so on, not a time to complain to the captain.

Yes, the passengers should address their problems on the cruise, but to the right people, such as guest services or the head waiter. The captains Q&A is supposed to be an informative session about the ships and so on, not a time to complain to the captain.

Agree.

The buck stops with the captain and like it or not he is in charge of all things that occur on his ship. Questions such as why I can't do this or that just don't pop up out of the blue they show issues with service on his ship that are not being attended to and as a captain and an executive officer of Royal Caribbean he should attend to.

If these duties are beneath him he should find employment outside of the service industry. Like it or not he is in charge of a floating hotel.

The one thing I notice is the captains that are always out and about on their ships eating in the wind jammer ect... Tend to have less service issues in my experience. They are out first hand seeing what is going on real time instead of relying on a upper manager feeding him his view of how things are going.

The dumbest question is a question never asked.

Edited by link99

I disagree. It's an opportunity to ask the master of the vessel a question. The problem is, people waste their few seconds with the captain to make a petty complaint. Ask him something juicy!!

Sent from my D6503 using Forums mobile app

Even if they provided tea bags, cabins that I have stayed in (we have sailed in balcony cabins but never a suite) do not have a way to heat up water to use the tea bag with.

Even if they provided tea bags, cabins that I have stayed in (we have sailed in balcony cabins but never a suite) do not have a way to heat up water to use the tea bag with.

And not that they couldn't grab a few from the WJ anytime to keep in the cabin. Be a little proactive.

The buck stops with the captain and like it or not he is in charge of all things that occur on his ship. Questions such as why I can't do this or that just don't pop up out of the blue they show issues with service on his ship that are not being attended to and as a captain and an executive officer of Royal Caribbean he should attend to.

If these duties are beneath him he should find employment outside of the service industry. Like it or not he is in charge of a floating hotel.

The one thing I notice is the captains that are always out and about on their ships eating in the wind jammer ect... Tend to have less service issues in my experience. They are out first hand seeing what is going on real time instead of relying on a upper manager feeding him his view of how things are going.

The dumbest question is a question never asked.

Bunk. :rolleyes:

Bunk. :rolleyes:

Big G, that was much too mild of a response, IMO.

Crap.

:eek:

The REAL problem with this question is this:

On the Quantum, they use the old way: They put a basket of bread on your table.

So the answer to his/her question was: NO TIME AT ALL. IT'S IN THE BASKET RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, MORON.

:D :D :D

Edited by Merion_Mom