Montreal hotel

nana51

My friends and I are doing the Montreal to Boston cruise next October. I know hotels sell out quickly that time of year so I'm being proactive. Can anyone suggest a hotel or an area we should look that is convenient for cruisers? We want to do the tourist thing so we are going in a day or two ahead. I have never been and have no idea where the port is located. Any help would be appreciated.:)

My friends and I are doing the Montreal to Boston cruise next October. I know hotels sell out quickly that time of year so I'm being proactive. Can anyone suggest a hotel or an area we should look that is convenient for cruisers? We want to do the tourist thing so we are going in a day or two ahead. I have never been and have no idea where the port is located. Any help would be appreciated.:)

I live in Montreal. The port is in an area called Old Montreal, a quaint cobbled stoned area full of little restaurants and boutiques. We have a great underground subway system that can get you anywhere. What is considered Downtown Montreal is only a few Metro (that's what our subway system is called) stops away from Old Montreal or a short taxi ride. So you can book a hotel anywhere in the downtown core or Old Montreal and it's an easy trip to get to the Port. Just Google your hotel location so that you are in those areas.

Edited by rosepetals

I wouldn't worry about hotels, there are lots of them and there is nothing special in October that would fill them up.

The cruise terminal is on Alexandra Quay in Old Port (Vieux Port in french). If you stay at one of the nearby boutique hotels, you could walk to the terminal (luggage allowing). As others have said, any hotel in Old Port, Old Montreal area, or even business district downtown will be a short cab ride to the terminal on departure day. Last October, I did the cruise Montreal-Boston-Montreal through that port.

Our favorite hotel in Old Montreal is this: http://www.pierreducalvet.ca/english/index.html Absolutely gorgeous place with atmosphere for days.

If you're looking for something more modern (with an elevator), the Holiday Inn Montreal Centreville Downtown, on the edge of Chinatown and across the street from the Place d'Armes Metro station, is a short walk from Old Montreal: http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/montreal/yulca/hoteldetail/photos-tours They have an indoor swimming pool, and the Chez Chine restaurant is great fun, with fish swimming by your table in concrete channels.

Edited by Langoustine

We have stayed at the Nelligan Hotel for cruises twice in the last two years. It's on Rue St. Paul Est in Old Montreal, just a couple blocks from the port. Good hotel, great location, and with a high Trip Advisor rating.

My friends stayed at Hotel Nelligan for a post cruise stay. They were very happy with the location and had a good experience at the hotel. It is not 'cookie cutter' and the rooms are not all alike so carefully select the type of room you want and be clear when you book, if you choose to stay there. My friends hunted around a bit and got a fairly good rate.

DH and I often walked by the hotel on our turn around days in Montreal as it is very near the cruise terminal. Easy walking distance if you don't have luggage. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I can highly recommend the L Hotel at 262 Rue St Jacques. We (along with 2 other couples) stayed there for 2 nights before a cruise and all of us LOVED it! It was right in the middle of all the wonderful area of Old Montreal that we wanted to stroll around. We walked everywhere! We dealt with a lovely woman named Melanie, who worked out a deal for us that included breakfast (delicious!). You can e-mail me if you'd like more info---I think I can get the phone numbers,etc.

There are several hotels with similar names, so be sure you are looking at the one on Rue St Jacques.

Barb

2thesea2thesea@gmail.com

I travel to Montreal a lot for work. A favourite hotel of mine is the Alt, Griffentown. It is only a few blocks from Old Montreal and probably a 5 minute cab ride to the pier. It's new, modern and usually a lot less $ than the other hotels in Montreal. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.althotels.com/en/montreal/?gclid=CJPlk4vw18kCFQqPaQodvpoCbw

We stayed at the Springhill Suites Old Montreal in October of this year. The hotel has a great staff and is clean and comfortable. It is nicely located within walking distance of the terminals at roughly 1/2 mile. My 70+ y.o. DMIL had a knee replacement 6 weeks earlier and easily walked her luggage to the terminal. Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the walk-up experience of the old terminal though, if you board from Alexandra Quay. All I can say is look for and follow the few signs directing walkers to a freight elevator to the upper floor.

The hotel is attached to the oldest inn and bar in North America (from 1754.) The bar and restaurant are pricey but worth seeing and having a drink in. There are tons of reasonably priced restaurants within easy walking distance. Get there early enough and you'll have time to see many of the POIs in Old Montreal. Taxis were fixed cost from the airport at C$40 so go with a group and split the cost if you can.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I travel to Montreal a lot for work. A favourite hotel of mine is the Alt, Griffentown. It is only a few blocks from Old Montreal and probably a 5 minute cab ride to the pier. It's new, modern and usually a lot less $ than the other hotels in Montreal. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.althotels.com/en/montreal/?gclid=CJPlk4vw18kCFQqPaQodvpoCbw

I Agree ! Very good offer with fixed prices (same prices all year round). You don't regret it.

Kind like half way between hotel boutique and hotel like Conrad Hilton.

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

I stayed at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth last June and found that it was in a very convenient central location. My niece and I walked everywhere. It also had a nice gym and indoor pool.

http://www.fairmont.com/queen-elizabeth-montreal/

Unfortunately, the Queen Elizabeth hotel closes for renovations from June 2016 for a year.

Unfortunately, the Queen Elizabeth hotel closes for renovations from June 2016 for a year.

That's too bad. We stayed there last summer at the end of our cruise and it was in a nice area. The underground was beneath it was a neat way to walk around when it was a rainy day. You'll love the cruise!

My friends stayed at Hotel Nelligan for a post cruise stay. They were very happy with the location and had a good experience at the hotel. It is not 'cookie cutter' and the rooms are not all alike so carefully select the type of room you want and be clear when you book, if you choose to stay there. My friends hunted around a bit and got a fairly good rate.

DH and I often walked by the hotel on our turn around days in Montreal as it is very near the cruise terminal. Easy walking distance if you don't have luggage. :)

The Nelligan was cobbled together from at least two different buildings, so there are old and new sections. The first time we stayed there, we were in the new section, with a huge bathroom with glass shower (gorgeous), and the room overlooked an open area. To get there, we had to go down a back hallway with a few steps down at one point and back up at another. It was super quiet, and we loved it. We booked the room through one of the large hotel Booking sites.

This year we were in the older section with an older bathroom, and the room overlooked the indoor atrium. The room was very close to the elevator. We cold hear people talking by the elevator, but it wasn't loud enough to bother us. We booked that room directly with the hotel. Both rooms had lots of exposed brick and were beautifully furnished.

Hotel Nelligan is our favorite as well. If you like small boutique hotels, Old Montreal is full of them, and that is one of the better ones. If you're looking for something larger, the Intercontinental is convenient to Old Montreal.

In Downtown Montreal, you will find most major hotel chains represented, there is a Hilton, Marriott, etc. Someone mentioned the QE Fairmont, which is nice as well. It's not in the Old Port area, but it is a good downtown option. Also some trivia, if you are a fan of The Beatles or John Lennon, it is where John and Yoko had a "sleep in", last time I was there they had a replica of the room.

I hope you enjoy Montreal. We live in Upstate NY, a few hours away, and like to spend long weekends there for quick getaways.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites Old Montreal in October of this year. The hotel has a great staff and is clean and comfortable. It is nicely located within walking distance of the terminals at roughly 1/2 mile. My 70+ y.o. DMIL had a knee replacement 6 weeks earlier and easily walked her luggage to the terminal. Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the walk-up experience of the old terminal though, if you board from Alexandra Quay. All I can say is look for and follow the few signs directing walkers to a freight elevator to the upper floor.

The hotel is attached to the oldest inn and bar in North America (from 1754.) The bar and restaurant are pricey but worth seeing and having a drink in. There are tons of reasonably priced restaurants within easy walking distance. Get there early enough and you'll have time to see many of the POIs in Old Montreal. Taxis were fixed cost from the airport at C$40 so go with a group and split the cost if you can.

I second this recommendation of a hotel. We have stayed there and loved the convenience to the various parts of Old Montreal. Down the street is the Keg Restaurant, a Canadian chain, which now has a few in Western United States including one not far from me. We liked this restaurant so much, we went there again the last night before boarding.