Mattress Topper

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me or enlighten me if something has happened in The last 2 months. I had shoulder surgery a few months back and sleep on a soft temperpedic mattress. In the past few cruises I requested and have received a mattress topper or egg crate for our bed. My mom sailed recently and had emailed Royal about 3 weeks prior to her cruise requesting hers and had no problem. It was perfect when she arrived and found the bed with a memory foam topper that her Steward said he applied.

Fast forward to this past Sunday I emailed

Royal special needs to request for our upcoming Freedom sailing. I received this email back stating that fleet wide that now have double mattress toppers. Anybody have feedback? I can tell you that on my Mothers cruise they certainly did not have double toppers. A co-worker sailed the Allure in December and although he said the bed was ok, he told me there was definitely not a double topper. Seems like I'm stuck for now until inboard and try it out. Anyone sailed the Freedom recently that can confirm or contradict. Thank you

25c64098ef8bf85da770c0ca5c803480.jpg

Hmmm...I emailed special needs for our upcoming Anthem cruise and received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We have gone ahead and made the appropriate notations

in the reservation. We will place a mattress topper on embarkation day.

Best regards,

Access Staff

I requested an egg crate on our recent Navigator cruise and was told the same thing...egg crates have been removed fleet wide due to sanitary reasons.

The beds were very firm and definitely did not have double mattress toppers. Our room steward added an extra comforter and said he would continue to add them until we were comfortable.

After the first comforter was added, I told the room steward the next day that the bed was still firm. He told me to remind him later and he would add another one, but he never did and I just let it go.

I think I can definitely shed some light on this....

Due to medical reasons, I require a foam mattress topper. I emailed RCI Special Needs a few months before my Freedom cruise which was a few weeks ago. I received the exact same response as above - that they would go ahead and place a mattress "topper" on my bed on embarkation day. I didn't think about this again, until I got to my cabin and sat down on the bed......it was as hard as cement :mad: I had printed out the email I was sent, and went down to Guest Relations to see what was going on. The Guest Relations agent could really offer no assistance other than to tell me that they no longer have egg crate mattress toppers to which I responded that I sailed a few months earlier and they do in fact have egg crate mattress toppers because I had one in my cabin on that cruise! Before long the GR Manager was standing at the counter looking over my letter to Special Needs and told me that the letter I received stated I would receive a mattress "topper", and those are folded up duvets placed on "top" of the mattress :rolleyes: I can tell you that these folded up duvets do absolutely nothing whatsoever to soften the mattress, and I was pretty upset by this time, To make a longer story shorter, I highly suggested they "locate" a foam mattress topper......and they did, it was on my bed at turn down. I will say this though......they are definitely phasing out the egg crates, so going forward it will be harder to get them, if at all.

Before my November cruise I took the advice of another poster on here, and purchased my own mattress topper from Amazon which I had with me.......but I still prefer the egg crate toppers....and I was promised one,

https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-06SVGR01C-Camping-Mattress-Green-Grey/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488941666&sr=8-1&keywords=lightweight+air+mattress

The Klymit Mattress Pad weighs just one pound is so small that you can pack it in a carry on.

I would highly recommend that you bring your own mattress topper if you must have it for medical reasons. Sleeping on a bed as hard as cement would have been a complete and total disaster for me.....

I was told the same thing, no egg crates or mattress toppers. The reason I was given is they have problems with the cleaning, the cost, trying to get them back on the ship because the ship doesn't have the equipment to clean them. I was advised to bring my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing with friends on freedom in two weeks. We both emailed and requested toppers. I got an email saying they'd made a note of it and my friend got one saying they don't have them anymore, but now have double toppers on beds. When she emailed back and showed them my response, they told her they would place mattress toppers on embarkation day. Followed up by another email that said "although our response do differ slightly the over all response is the same." And they would ensure mattress toppers were on the bed. I told my friend she'll be lucky to have a bed at all! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told the same thing, no egg crates or mattress toppers. The reason I was given is they have problems with the cleaning, the cost, trying to get them back on the ship because the ship doesn't have the equipment to clean them. I was advised to bring my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do know that we have stopped using the egg crate type padding in the hospitals due to infection risks. Everything used now is single use, and exorbitantly expensive. While it's good to know RC is interested in infection control, it stinks that they have not made alternative arrangements for folks that truly need the extra cushioning. Bottom line is that if one truly needs it, you should bring your own, or make arrangements to have it delivered to the stateroom in advance. If I were in charge of RC, I'd make it a service to all that requested it (but no one asked me!).

On my November sailing, I requested a mattress topper from special needs. The reply indicated it would be on my bed when I arrived. It was and my bed and bedding was very comfortable. I brought a Static V air mattress as back-up, but it wasn't needed. I'm planning to bring it on future cruises just in case.

On my November sailing, I requested a mattress topper from special needs. The reply indicated it would be on my bed when I arrived. It was and my bed and bedding was very comfortable. I brought a Static V air mattress as back-up, but it wasn't needed. I'm planning to bring it on future cruises just in case.

I also pre requested one through special needs for ourOct/Nov cruise on Freedom. Hit a confirmation email but nontopper appeared. The mattress turned out to be ok for us, so we didn't persue it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

I think I can definitely shed some light on this....

Due to medical reasons, I require a foam mattress topper. I emailed RCI Special Needs a few months before my Freedom cruise which was a few weeks ago. I received the exact same response as above - that they would go ahead and place a mattress "topper" on my bed on embarkation day. I didn't think about this again, until I got to my cabin and sat down on the bed......it was as hard as cement :mad: I had printed out the email I was sent, and went down to Guest Relations to see what was going on. The Guest Relations agent could really offer no assistance other than to tell me that they no longer have egg crate mattress toppers to which I responded that I sailed a few months earlier and they do in fact have egg crate mattress toppers because I had one in my cabin on that cruise! Before long the GR Manager was standing at the counter looking over my letter to Special Needs and told me that the letter I received stated I would receive a mattress "topper", and those are folded up duvets placed on "top" of the mattress :rolleyes: I can tell you that these folded up duvets do absolutely nothing whatsoever to soften the mattress, and I was pretty upset by this time, To make a longer story shorter, I highly suggested they "locate" a foam mattress topper......and they did, it was on my bed at turn down. I will say this though......they are definitely phasing out the egg crates, so going forward it will be harder to get them, if at all.

Before my November cruise I took the advice of another poster on here, and purchased my own mattress topper from Amazon which I had with me.......but I still prefer the egg crate toppers....and I was promised one,

https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-06SVGR01C-Camping-Mattress-Green-Grey/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488941666&sr=8-1&keywords=lightweight+air+mattress

The Klymit Mattress Pad weighs just one pound is so small that you can pack it in a carry on.

I would highly recommend that you bring your own mattress topper if you must have it for medical reasons. Sleeping on a bed as hard as cement would have been a complete and total disaster for me.....

Thanks that is a great idea. I know last time we were on the adventure the beds were like a rock and going back on the Adventure in less than 2 months I might have to invest in one of these for me and my wife. Long as it doesn't take up too much room we bring three suites now as it is :o

I requested an egg crate on our recent Navigator cruise and was told the same thing...egg crates have been removed fleet wide due to sanitary reasons.

Ordered on for April Brilliance and was told same. Had topper on Dec. Oasis.

Requested a topper on my Harmony cruise. Wasn't on when we got in the room and we had a nap. Our room steward stated she had been notified we wanted one and would be happy to fix it for us. We had already tried out the bed and found it satisfactory so wasn't needed by us. As for what she was going to put on the bed to help out, I have no idea. Could have been extra blankets or duvets or a topper. Who knows. It's Royal.

I bought this one too and I plan on bringing it with me on the Harmony next week. If I can't sleep comfortably, it will ruin my cruise.

I appreciate all of the responses. We are flying in so unfortunately cannot buy/bring one. If we are passing a Walmart/target on the way to port maybe, buy doubtful. Hopefully the duvet under the sheet will be enough or I'll be sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In May on Liberty we had a topper and the bed was so comfortable. We didn't ask for it. November on Liberty we got on board just 3 doors down from the cabin we had in May. No topper and the bed was as hard as a rock. I was pretty miserable by the end of the week. Our steward added mattress covers which did nothing. We gave up on it as we got the same song and dance that he couldn't do anything more about it.

We debarked as late as possible and walking off could see into other rooms. About every other room had a topper on it. So I guess he couldn't take it off someone's else's bed and give it to us after the cruise started. For sure they would notice...yet there were still lots of staterooms that had them.

So perhaps they are phasing them out as they get soiled or ruined or whatever but they still had them on half the beds, in all catagories including insides.

We have requested one for this months cruise and we will see. I refuse to spend several thousand dollars for a cruise and bring my own bed! I truly hope they are looking into a new vendor when they replace mattresses. I am sure harder beds last longer.

In May on Liberty we had a topper and the bed was so comfortable. We didn't ask for it. November on Liberty we got on board just 3 doors down from the cabin we had in May. No topper and the bed was as hard as a rock. I was pretty miserable by the end of the week. Our steward added mattress covers which did nothing. We gave up on it as we got the same song and dance that he couldn't do anything more about it.

We debarked as late as possible and walking off could see into other rooms. About every other room had a topper on it. So I guess he couldn't take it off someone's else's bed and give it to us after the cruise started. For sure they would notice...yet there were still lots of staterooms that had them.

So perhaps they are phasing them out as they get soiled or ruined or whatever but they still had them on half the beds, in all catagories including insides.

We have requested one for this months cruise and we will see. I refuse to spend several thousand dollars for a cruise and bring my own bed! I truly hope they are looking into a new vendor when they replace mattresses. I am sure harder beds last longer.

I totally understand what you are saying about the need to bring your own bed when you are spending thousands of dollars on a cruise....but......it is becoming less and less likely that the foam mattress toppers will be available, so why not just bring your own and guarantee yourself a great night's sleep?

If I am not flying, I always bring my own egg crate. Just roll it up and put plastic over it.....use ribbon to tie it. Lightweight.....easy to carry....don't trust RC for their makeshift padding. On the Grandeur......you better bring a egg crate because the beds are hard. Yes, they no longer have egg crates due to sanitary reasons.

Hmmm...I emailed special needs for our upcoming Anthem cruise and received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We have gone ahead and made the appropriate notations

in the reservation. We will place a mattress topper on embarkation day.

Best regards,

Access Staff

I just received the following email from Tracy, Senior Access Advocate, regarding my request for an extra topper on the Liberty of the Seas: "All beds our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons."

Donna, I just received the following message (3/10/17) from Tracy, Senior Access Advocate, stating "All beds in our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons."