When Does the "Freestyle" Begin?

Travel R

This is not a complaint, but as a virgin NCLer (first one in one month), it seems like in order to be freestyle you need to make a lot of reservations first. We will be on the Getaway for 9 nights, so there are a lot of reservations to make.

Pre-Cruise

• Make reservations for specialty dining
  • Make reservations for non-specialty dining
  • Make reservations for Million Dollar Quartet
  • Make reservations for Burn the Floor
  • Make reservations for the Cirque Dreams and Steam
  • Rearrange reservations for Burn the Floor, since the reservations for the Cirque show did not open until a few days after the rest of the reservations first were available

As I understand it, I still need to show up at least a half an hour before the shows or else wind up with poor seats or with limited visibility seats.

I am aware that I do not need to make reservations for the dining options before-hand, but having to wait in line, even 15-20 minutes, does not seem life free-style to me, but wasting time. Not to mention that I have to get the times to sync up with the shows and other events.

At beginning of cruise

• Reserve comedy shows
  • Reserve Escape the Big Top (which I have to be on the lookout for)

And I still have to get to these shows at least 30 minutes early.

I am sure that once I make these final reservations I can put the brain on autopilot and not have to think about anything administrative. But it just seems silly to call this "free-style" with having to pre-reserve everything.

Is there anything else I need to reserve?

• We are not doing the Wine Lovers Show
  • Excursions are booked
  • Reserved the drink package
  • Online check-in finished this weekend
  • DW is reserving any spa treatments (for herself/DDs)
  • Not purchasing any of the misc. "gift" items

I have done the My-Time dining on RCI - is there any real difference between RCI and NCL freestyle besides the lack of a dressing formal once or twice and a lobster night?

With all of the above being said, I know we will have a great cruise, regardless of anything. We had been on one that went through a hurricane (120 mph winds, 24+ foot swells) where the upper deck was closed for two days, and maybe two hours of sunshine the entire cruise, we still had a great time.

The reason I am posting is to ask all of the expert veterans on this board if there is anything else I need to do before or as soon as I get onto the ship so I can ensure that I have a great cruise (and do not need to think of anything administrative).

Thanks,

Travel R

Freestyle cruising, the old way, is just fine on non *Away ship's. Stardust Theater is bigger, no reservations needed or taken, get there 15 minutes early for better seats. MDR meals are fine and especially if you go early, they can seat you easily without reservations.

It's what you do with freestyle, keep it simple. Don't look at the clock or watch, there's always food somewhere to eat, Room Service with a small fee and O'Sheehan's are 24/7 except during turnaround time.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

This is not a complaint, but as a virgin NCLer (first one in one month), it seems like in order to be freestyle you need to make a lot of reservations first. We will be on the Getaway for 9 nights, so there are a lot of reservations to make.

Pre-Cruise

• Make reservations for specialty dining
  • Make reservations for non-specialty dining
  • Make reservations for Million Dollar Quartet
  • Make reservations for Burn the Floor
  • Make reservations for the Cirque Dreams and Steam
  • Rearrange reservations for Burn the Floor, since the reservations for the Cirque show did not open until a few days after the rest of the reservations first were available

As I understand it, I still need to show up at least a half an hour before the shows or else wind up with poor seats or with limited visibility seats.

I am aware that I do not need to make reservations for the dining options before-hand, but having to wait in line, even 15-20 minutes, does not seem life free-style to me, but wasting time. Not to mention that I have to get the times to sync up with the shows and other events.

At beginning of cruise

• Reserve comedy shows
  • Reserve Escape the Big Top (which I have to be on the lookout for)

And I still have to get to these shows at least 30 minutes early.

I am sure that once I make these final reservations I can put the brain on autopilot and not have to think about anything administrative. But it just seems silly to call this "free-style" with having to pre-reserve everything.

Is there anything else I need to reserve?

• We are not doing the Wine Lovers Show
  • Excursions are booked
  • Reserved the drink package
  • Online check-in finished this weekend
  • DW is reserving any spa treatments (for herself/DDs)
  • Not purchasing any of the misc. "gift" items

I have done the My-Time dining on RCI - is there any real difference between RCI and NCL freestyle besides the lack of a dressing formal once or twice and a lobster night?

With all of the above being said, I know we will have a great cruise, regardless of anything. We had been on one that went through a hurricane (120 mph winds, 24+ foot swells) where the upper deck was closed for two days, and maybe two hours of sunshine the entire cruise, we still had a great time.

The reason I am posting is to ask all of the expert veterans on this board if there is anything else I need to do before or as soon as I get onto the ship so I can ensure that I have a great cruise (and do not need to think of anything administrative).

Thanks,

Travel R

I don't think we booked that much total in all of our 24 NCL cruise's. :o

You can easily go on Getaway and do and see everything you want with minimal waits and without making reservations. Part of "freestyle" is that you choose to make the reservations.

You can easily go on Getaway and do and see everything you want with minimal waits and without making reservations. Part of "freestyle" is that you choose to make the reservations.

Exactly. I've never made reservations and never had an issue. I think my longest wait was 30 minutes for a table at the Asian restaurant on Epic.

Is everyday life 'freestyle"? Some things, perhaps...but when we go out to dinner, there is almost always some sort of wait....

If you go to a movie or show without assigned seats, you must arrive early to get a seat you like.

Go to the grocery store...shop at your own pace, but stand in line for check-out...

You aren't alone in the world, and you aren't alone on the ship...it's really no different than anyplace.

NCL's "freestyle" means you can choose what you want to do and the time you do it....you aren't "assigned" a time...it's YOUR choice. There are thousands on the ship...there will be waits!

We always make reservations on the "Away" class ships, just to be safe. We can always change onboard, but our last sailing on the Epic, the shows were sold out nightly. We would of been so upset if we didn't have reservations prior, as many many people were shut out of shows.

Our first sailing on the BA many years ago, I was upset to0 about having to pre plan. How do I know what and when I want to eat months in advance, when I barely know at 3pm what I want for dinner on a daily basis!! But, It's not that bad to plan, and better off than missing a show, and very easy when onboard to change, using the large touch screens.

Safe sailing

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Especially to those that responded to my question - that there are no other events/activities that I would need to reserve.

When I return from the cruise, I'll come back to this thread to express my first-hand impressions of NCL's freestyle concept - and if I believe all of the pre-registering was worth it or not.

Edited by Travel R
correct spelling

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Especially to those that responded to my question - that there are no other events/activities that I would need to reserve.

When I return from the cruise, I'll come back to this thread to express my first-hand impressions of NCL's freestyle concept - and if I believe all of the pre-registering was worth it or not.

Following along! I have my first NCL cruise this year as well. How far in advance did you book all of that? I will probably add the 3 night dining package to my current reservation, and will definitely do a dinner show.

Following along! I have my first NCL cruise this year as well. How far in advance did you book all of that? I will probably add the 3 night dining package to my current reservation, and will definitely do a dinner show.

The reservations for dining and most shows 90 days prior to the cruise (100 days prior if staying in the Haven)

The cirque dinner show reservations opened about 3 days afterwards [i am unsure if this is usual or not - or it was added late because was just added to this ship]

"Freestyle" was coined by NCL b4 all the other cruise lines copied their concept. Some do it well others not so much!

We only reserve specialty restaurants and shows that we really want to see. I think you have gone above and beyond, we didn't reserve anything when we were on the spirt for a med cruise, the days are very long on shore! Even on the getaway we only reserved moderno and the dinner show. We were able to walk into or have a short wait for every other restaurant. You will have an amazing time! Go and enjoy!

I booked some of the shows before we got on Epic but they weren't there when I got on. I quickly and easily booked on the TV in the cabin. We LOVED burn the floor and went a second time.

We never booked for the normal dining room, just turned up each night. We don't want to decide a time beforehand (which is why we like freestyle).

Travel R,

I think you're on the right track.

I've done a dozen NCL cruises, from Sun to Mega ship, and understand where you're coming from. It looks to me like the two extremes between assigned times and table to eat when and where you want are starting to merge. With so many people getting the dining package at no cost, it's a good idea to reserve in advance, especially on sea days or the mega ships.. On the other hand, if you're on a smaller ship, or they discontinue the free dining packages, you'll have no problem getting what you want when you want. In the meantime, if it's a special occasion, make a reservation.

The worst I saw, was returning to NYC from Bermuda on the BA first season. There were about 300 guests of Harrah's, all with the dining package. It was the last night, and a sea day. I've got reservations for the French restaurant, but two couples ahead of me are having a total rant and calling the poor host every name in the book because she wouldn't let them in without a reservation.

My categorically must books would be:

Million Dollar Quartet - that was a sell out on our 16 nighter - Absolute highlight of the cruise.

Le Bistro (If you want a specific time)

Other than that - we prebooked nothing - and yet still managed to dine A L Carte I think 7-8 nights out of 16.

The MDRs Taste and Savor - have a great bar set between them (MIXX).

The hostesses are really sweet - they will give you a bleeper - relax, have a drink - and when your table is ready you are good to go.

We more often than not had a table for two - by the window - prime time around 8pmish - I didn't look at the clock - was in no rush - just went with the flow.

If we had something we wanted specifically to go to then we would work dinner around it.

Oddly enough - La Cucina has been our least favourite restaurant on other ships, and yet our favourite on Getaway. We dined there a lot.

Never pre booked any but I would say - Le Bistro was harder to come by - we did manage to get in twice - but took later dining. ie 8.45pm+

We didn't try the Tropicana - not sure why - but we really found service at Taste and Savor to be first class.

I have to agree with those who have said you're making it more complicated that it needs to be. I'm not sure where people got the idea that freestyle means everything's available all the time and you never have to wait and you never have to make a reservation. I never make reservations for the MDR and have had to wait only once and that was when we were a party of 16 that had added a couple more people by the time we got to the MDR and they had to make a quick adjustment for us. Even then the wait was only a couple minutes. I do reserve specialty restaurants before hand, but why is that a big deal? I do that at home, too. I've never arrived at any show I've reserved as early as 30 minutes. I don't see the point of standing in line for 30 minutes to get a "good" seat in such a small theater--every seat will be a pretty good seat. Sure, if you want to sit in a particular seat, you should arrive early but not if you're fine sitting wherever.

I love freestyle because I don't have to eat at the same time every evening and with a bunch of strangers. If I'm eating in the MDR, I go when it fits my schedule or when I feel like it. I don't go to the MDR between about 6:30 and 7:30 and I'm able to walk up and be seated.

The only way that you could do what some pole think is freestyle (go wherever you want whenever you want and never have to wait and never make reservations) would be to sail on a ship by yourself! :D

"The only way that you could do what some people think is freestyle (go wherever you want whenever you want and never have to wait and never make reservations) would be to sail on a ship by yourself! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677"

LOL. That is so true!

Thanks for correcting my typo! ;p

Although I have not yet cruised, I wonder if any of your responses would change, if I had also previously stated that

besides myself and my wife, I am also travelling with a teen and a tween?

Me thinks you would have more fun if you left the kids at home.

I leave on Getaway's sister ship, Breakaway, in 3 days. We have not reserved one single thing, so we've been freestylin' since the day we booked the cruise. It's all up to you how you do it. That's the beauty of NCL.

I was on RCC and had MTD. Wanted to eat at 6:00 and they said it's full. Asked for 7:00, that was full too. So I asked what's open, told 7;30, went at 7;30 and had to wait.if you don't want to make reservations on NCL do the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are on the right path and have a tip for you. We cruise with two teens and they do well with "a plan". "Dinner at 7, meet us at Cagney's". Instructions for the day when at sea! The reservations were our way of getting it all into our week, and you'll still go home asking "how'd we not do that??" Tip, NCL only makes about 30% of the available reservations available for pre-book. You can download the NCL app and connect to their wifi from the cruise terminal. Then, you will see all available times just before you board. I planned out my week with dinner and shows then booked it all from the terminal. Done. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk