Beware of Inflated on Board Prices and Misrepresentations on Celebrity

steve3752

Was on Celebrity Constellation Sept 15. One night photo department had some binoculars for sale. I saw a pair for $124.95 I liked and asked how that compared to what I could expect to pay off the ship.

Was told their price was 30% to 40% less.

Checked price on Amazon, Best Buy, Nexttag when I got home. They sell for $79.99. List price is $119.00.

Complaint to Celebrity just answered. They are sorry but they use a third party vendor and have nothing to do with price.

The third party does not price match and Celebrity refuses to make this right in any way.

Anyone think I am being unreasonable in saying this is wrong and fraudulent?

The prices on Celebrity ships are comparable to any large resort or specialty store. Try buying any of those items at a hotel gift shop and you'll find the same level of prices.

On our last cruise, we paid $7 for deodorant. Since it's in their best interested, you'd think it would have been cheaper.

The prices on Celebrity ships are comparable to any large resort or specialty store. Try buying any of those items at a hotel gift shop and you'll find the same level of prices.

On our last cruise, we paid $7 for deodorant. Since it's in their best interested, you'd think it would have been cheaper.

The only "bargains" on ships these days are the room and food. You are on a floating hotel, so unless they are changing vendors or trying to clear old inventory, you will pay retail. So like anything else, buyer beware, or if you need it you buy it and enjoy the remainder of your experience.

Edited by SFL

On the Celebrity Constellation Sept 15, 2013 cruise I saw some binoculars in the photo shop one evening.

The price was $124.95. Prior to purchasing, I asked the sales person how much the item would normally cost off of the ship. He said 30% to 40% more.

When I arrived home I checked and found them at Best Buy, Amazon and Nexttag all at $79.99. The list price of the item is $119.00 per Amazon.

I complained to Celebrity and they just called.

They said the photo department is run by a third party and they have no control over what they charge. I explained that I felt there was misrepresentation regarding the price off the ship..They refused to do anything.

I also called American Express as I had charged through them.

They credited my account $50.00.

Have sailed Celebrity several times. No more. I just cannot believe how they acted over $50.00. Beware. They do not care about the customer.

I always suspect the prices of things on the Cruise ship and in ports.

Everything is always sold at substantial discounts off of "list" price and "guaranteed" to be a good value. But the list prices they claim are always inflated and the guarantees are worthless.

The only way to be happy is to either know the true selling prices at home of the items you're buying or for the price to be within a range that you just don't care if it is a bargain or not - regardless of how low the quality ends up being.

Just got off Reflection on the 21st.

They were pushing a big Invicta watch sale. I happened to walk by the preview and saw one I liked. "List price" $995 but on sale the next day for $369.

Went upstairs, got on my iPad googled it and found the same watch on Amazon for $274.

Did not purchase on the ship.

I personally always research a big purchase and if I couldn't do the research on the ship, I'd probably wait.

I'm sorry you didn't get the best deal but at least you got the binoculars you wanted and hopefully got to use them on the cruise.

Was on Celebrity Constellation Sept 15. One night photo department had some binoculars for sale. I saw a pair for $124.95 I liked and asked how that compared to what I could expect to pay off the ship.

Checked price on Amazon, Best Buy, Nexttag when I got home. They sell for $79.99. List price is $119.00.

Complaint to Celebrity just answered. They are sorry but they use a third party vendor and have nothing to do with price.

The third party does not price match and Celebrity refuses to make this right in any way.

Wait...

What happed to your original post where you tried a chargeback the purchase with Amex and ended up getting reimbursed $50?

If you're really trying to figure out if you're unreasonable or not, then you really should have left that crucial part of your story in your post.

Does anyone think that pictures purchased on board are competitive or that excursions are cheaper than booked independently or beverages are as cheap as at your local retail or even wholesale store?

Anyone purchasing anything should do some comparison shopping or realize that there is a price for convenience and instant gratification.

I agree:

Don't mean to be contrary, but my motto is always "buyer beware". Before I purchased them, I would have gone on line and checked some prices. It is less expensive in the long run to use some internet minutes than to find out what you did after it was too late. Sorry.

legally, X has no responsibility to you at all. the vendor is not required to price match under any circumstances.

I always pay what I am willing to pay. and then I don't kick myself (too hard) if it's cheaper after the fact. Sales always seem to come out a week AFTER I 'need' the item

Wait...

What happed to your original post where you tried a chargeback the purchase with Amex and ended up getting reimbursed $50?

If you're really trying to figure out if you're unreasonable or not, then you really should have left that crucial part of your story in your post.

Johnny, I'm not sure why there's a double post, but the Amex info is actually in the newer one, so he has added the info, not deleted it.

The photo department was undoubtedly quoting with accuracy the "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price - MSRP", which is always inflated and in no way representative of the street price of items.

I feel the same way about the phony "art work" they sell on cruise ships. Cheap prints, worth about $10 are sold as if they are fabulous works of art! People have to educate themselves. If you are looking for a bargain, do not buy on a cruise ship or hotel. Make your purchases at home on amazon or another reliable vendor.

I purchased , what we though was 14K tanzanite earrings in a shop in cancun. When I got home, had it appraised. It was fake!!! Fortunately charged using my Visa Card and the credit card company refunded me my money. It is one thing to pay top dollar, and another thing to get fake merchandise- to me that is Fraudulent. Best to limit your purchases to small items- so if you pay a little more then you would at home- chalk it up to a vacation expense.

Make that purchase on any cruise line or ship and most likely you would get the same result. The shops are all run by third parties. BTW, who really thinks they are getting a deal on stuff like that on a cruise ship with captive clientele?:confused:

OP, sorry that you feel "taken" by the on-board photo shops. But really, what great deals did you expect to find from a vender who charges $20 for one 8x10 photograph? I hope that you are at least enjoying your binoculars.

And, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't ever recall seeing any sort of "price match" guarantee at any of the onboard shops.

Edited by wwcruisers

Make that purchase on any cruise line or ship and most likely you would get the same result. The shops are all run by third parties. BTW, who really thinks they are getting a deal on stuff like that on a cruise ship with captive clientele?:confused:

Congratulations to the OP on the $50 refund from American Express.

Third party shops make me wonder if the Specialty Restaurants are run by a third party.

On the Dec. 9 cruise those restaurants could have been used for the large group that reserved other "public" spaces but not mid-day time in the Tuscan Grille.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

BTW, who really thinks they are getting a deal on stuff like that on a cruise ship with captive clientele?:confused:

My thoughts exactly. I can't understand why anyone would buy stuff like this on a ship unless in an emergency (e.g., his/her own equipment broke, etc.). No way it can be a competitive price. Look at the outrageously inflated prices that those photo shops on board charge for a single printed picture. Gimme a break.

And, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't ever recall seeing any sort of "price match" guarantee at any of the onboard shops.

Their used to be for liquor prices if one brought back a printed price list.

I asked the sales person how much the item would normally cost off of the ship. He said 30% to 40% more.

When I arrived home I checked and found them at Best Buy, Amazon and Nexttag all at $79.99. The list price of the item is $119.00 per Amazon.

I complained to Celebrity and they just called.

You priced the item at what essentially is a small specialty retailer. And then you compared the price to the price at big box and internet discount retailers. And you are surprised that there was a difference? I'll bet if you priced them at other small specialty retailers you might might that the price is more in line with what you paid onboard, or what the guy told you to expect to pay on land. I mean, c'mon... you really think they were going to tell you "don't buy from us, they're cheaper on land?" Chalk it up to being gullible.

OP, sorry that you feel "taken" by the on-board photo shops. But really, what great deals did you expect to find from a vender who charges $20 for one 8x10 photograph? I hope that you are at least enjoying your binoculars.

The shops do state that that have a "price match guarantee". Took advange of it last year on Connie. DW purchased an Effy bracelet. Found it for less in Grand Cayman and had the manager of the Effy store write his price on a business card. Received the price difference from the on board shop without difficulty. They do not however match on line prices. Only the price in a retail outlet is matched. I only buy if I have excess non refundable OBC and see that as getting a good deal. As others have warned: "Buyer Beware".

Wow!!! Really!?! You're surprised by this? I guess you would also be surprised that Elvis is dead??
Naw, Elvis is alive and a greeter at a WalMart in Michigan - I read it on the internet so it HAS to be true. And remember that the Shopping Guides on board are your friends, and they will only send you to the best shops - don't believe that rumor that they send you to the stores that pay for that endorsement. It amazes me is that people travel thousands of miles to spend thousands of dollars in a jewelry shop endorsed by their new friend the Shopping Guide, never having heard until the day before about the 4Cs.

Thom