Only Guaranteed rooms on Royal to South America...What's the deal??

Cobra427SC

As a long time Princess cruiser, I'm perplexed about why Princess won't give a specific room assignment for Deluxe Cabins on the Royal's sailing from Buenos Aires to Santiago, 2/21/19. Some other categories of rooms, e.g., inside cabins can be assigned, but not what we want. What's going on here? thanx steve

As a long time Princess cruiser, I'm perplexed about why Princess won't give a specific room assignment for Deluxe Cabins on the Royal's sailing from Buenos Aires to Santiago, 2/21/19. Some other categories of rooms, e.g., inside cabins can be assigned, but not what we want. What's going on here? thanx steve

Because they want you to book a GTY at that price. That way they can stick you in those undesirable cabins and call it an upgrade.

Probably because the 2/21/19 14 night cruise is just a segment of longer cruises 30, 33 and 49 nights in the month of Feb 2019 . Princess would leave the assigning of some categories on the shortest segment until after they see how the longer cruises book.

Thanx for the info, which makes sense on this particular cruise. I really love sailing on Princess, but 49 days is just too much (and we'd miss our 4-paws!) for us. I only checked on what we could afford and wanted, so dunno about any other cabins. thanx steve

Probably because the 2/21/19 14 night cruise is just a segment of longer cruises 30, 33 and 49 nights in the month of Feb 2019 . Princess would leave the assigning of some categories on the shortest segment until after they see how the longer cruises book.

This. The 49 day (and the segments) have been available for quite some time now. Princess always holds cabins on cruises with multiple legs. Some are only available if booking the entire cruise, some are only available for the first part, etc. We took a much shorter (17 day) cruise that started in Vancouver, then took on passengers in San Francisco and then in LA. There were balcony cabins we wanted that weren't available in SF but still showed as available if booking in Vancouver. Sometimes a good TA can get you the cabin and sometimes they can't.

We were actually booked for the 49 days around the horn but cancelled it. We booked in segments as there was no Sip and Sail for 49 day cruises but, booking as a 19 day and then a 30 day they were willing to include the Sip and Sail package. (I think my liver is grateful we cancelled this cruise!)

Thanx for the info, which makes sense on this particular cruise. I really love sailing on Princess, but 49 days is just too much (and we'd miss our 4-paws!) for us. I only checked on what we could afford and wanted, so dunno about any other cabins. thanx steve
A good TA will be able to book you into a cabin reserved for the longer cruise, and give you a discount.

We are aboard the Regal enroute Copenhagen and the Royal’s 2019 South American trip is pretty much gone. At the moment there is hardly anything left whatsoever, but that will probably loosen up once it comes time to pony up some real money. People have three or four cruises “on hold” with $100 refundable deposits keeping their options open and the rest of us’s options closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are aboard the Regal enroute Copenhagen and the Royal’s 2019 South American trip is pretty much gone. At the moment there is hardly anything left whatsoever, but that will probably loosen up once it comes time to pony up some real money. People have three or four cruises “on hold” with $100 refundable deposits keeping their options open and the rest of us’s options closed.

So true........

We are booked for the 49 day Royal South America cruise. We could not use an FCC. Deposit was a percentage of the full fare. Not an insignificant amount. :loudcry:

Cheers, Denise

Denise,

A lot of people booked the 49 day cruise as two shorter ones. That way they can use FCC;s.

Thanks, Paul. We looked at that option also. It worked out better for us to book for the entire cruise. You have to pay the piper at some point in time. :loudcry: Of course, if the price goes WAY down for the second leg......we might have rolled the wrong dice.

Cheers, Denise

Denise,

A lot of people booked the 49 day cruise as two shorter ones. That way they can use FCC;s.

The FCC can be used for the 49 day cruise as a single booking. However it is not as a full deposit, but for a 3% reduction in the fare and a reduced deposit of 5%.

The FCC can be used for the 49 day cruise as a single booking. However it is not as a full deposit, but for a 3% reduction in the fare and a reduced deposit of 5%.

Princess would not let us use the FCC although they credited our CC for $200. :rolleyes: We did get the 3% fare reduction.

Cheers, Denise

For us, ,we were better with one booking for 49 days. We got prepaid gratuities, $500 OBC each, 3% discount. for booking a balcony cabin. We could not get OBC for the FCC, nor PBP. Based on our drinking, we felt we are better without the PMP. Others were better splitting into two bookings and giving up the items above for the PMP. Each of us has to do our own calculations.

• 1 month later...

Those of you booked on this are lucky. The Royal has been removed from South America for 2020 and replaced by the Island & Coral Princesses. The around South America trip has been extended to 58 days, deletes California and returns to Florida for a lot more money.

We were looking to book the Royal’s 2020 South America trip but now we are looking at other lines.

Those of you booked on this are lucky. The Royal has been removed from South America for 2020 and replaced by the Island & Coral Princesses. The around South America trip has been extended to 58 days, deletes California and returns to Florida for a lot more money.

We were looking to book the Royal’s 2020 South America trip but now we are looking at other lines.

The Royal was not "removed" from South America for 2020. The 2019 cruise is a one time repositioning move.

• 1 month later...

We are on this South American cruise but only for the first 19 day segment. We've had our room assignment for at least 4 months. I am hoping to either be offered an upsell or an upgrade as the only rooms available were regular balcony. Would prefer a deluxe balcony or a mini-suite club class. Princess indicated it would be a good chance that we would be able to upgrade because of people dropping out when it came time to pony up the cash. We still have to get our visa for Brazil.

We booked the full 49 days as a B2B (Fort Lauderdale to Santiago and Santiago to Los Angeles). We were going to wait until 2020 but now that the schedules are out we see that Princess is running “lesser” ships than the Royal in the future on longer, much more expensive trips that return to Florida rather than finish in California.

South American cruises sell out quickly..add that to longer cuise compared with two shorter ones and that's why only guaranteed cabins are available in certain categories.

On final payment,for our January 2018 South America trip, we asked about a price reduction and were told no chance as the ship was sold out.

Had a wonderful time and would love to repeat at some point.