New GDPR laws- It could affect your loyalty points and booking.

Thejuggler

That's very odd. When I set my marketing preferences online a day or two ago after reading this thread, my account definitely still existed. All I had to go was login with my email address and give my password, and then set my marketing preferences.

I did the same last week but it didn't ask if I wanted to remain a member of the Loyalty club. I saw Stocktenmackem's post and tried to log in with my password again but couldn't. So I registered again and the first question I was asked was did I want to remain a member and I then could set my marketing preferences.

That's very odd. When I set my marketing preferences online a day or two ago after reading this thread, my account definitely still existed. All I had to go was login with my email address and give my password, and then set my marketing preferences.

I did that but it said they my email address wasn't recognised. Maybe just a blip, not unknown with the website lol

The answer they gave you seems to refer to GDPR in general. I maintain that somebodies loyalty status is entirely unrelated and has no relevance to GDPR whatsoever. Nobody will lose their loyalty status. It is not conditional upon P&O being able to mail someone for marketing. Two entirely different and completely unrelated issues are being muddled in this thread.

I know but this a portion of the email I got from P&O and the question clearly asks you to tick the box if you want to remain in the Loyalty Club. My wife has not received the email and I can find nowhere in her preferences that asks this question so you can see why people might be a bit concerned about losing their points.

1259749075_ScreenShot2018-04-23at10_04_03.thumb.png.404eb10b3305d08fa8078776d697ebe2.png

I know but this a portion of the email I got from P&O and the question clearly asks you to tick the box if you want to remain in the Loyalty Club. My wife has not received the email and I can find nowhere in her preferences that asks this question so you can see why people might be a bit concerned about losing their points.

Yes, I can see the confusion. I can understand them seeking consent for those who wish to join the loyalty scheme as it would trigger new communications. Although they can rely on the 'legitimate interest' clause for existing members they are clearly seeking 'consent' to cover themselves. The core issue for me is not about mailings but retention of loyalty status, as the latter has no bearing on GDPR. There should be no reason why you should have to consent to mailing in order to retain a benefit that is derived from your nights on board, not your mailing preferences. Sounds like a bit of marketing spin to me!

Yes, I can see the confusion. I can understand them seeking consent for those who wish to join the loyalty scheme as it would trigger new communications. Although they can rely on the 'legitimate interest' clause for existing members they are clearly seeking 'consent' to cover themselves. The core issue for me is not about mailings but retention of loyalty status, as the latter has no bearing on GDPR. There should be no reason why you should have to consent to mailing in order to retain a benefit that is derived from your nights on board, not your mailing preferences. Sounds like a bit of marketing spin to me!

Maybe they don't understand it. Contrary to what I said I have just logged into my wife's Preferences in her P&O account and bingo I can now tick the box to remain in Loyalty club. Yesterday that option was not there, must have changed it overnight. So we are all set now. I can't see why they could not have emailed everyone at the same day and explained it a little better, would have saved a lot of confusion.

I was going to ignore all this but finally decided I’d have a look in my account.

Couldn’t log in

Submitted a ‘forgot my password’

Got a message back that my email address was unknown to the system

Re-registered

Loyalty Club question was the first one

What a shambles

I suggest everyone should check, just to be on the safe side. A few clicks on a keypad now beats doing battle with P&O at some stage in the future

Just had an "important information" letter in the lost from P&O telling me to go to pocruises.com/register and log in with the email address they showed in the letter.

Used the 'forgot password' which sent back a password reset, and bob's your uncle, in and details changed.

Do not think I ever had a login as such (with password), but have got into cruise personaliser by using a booking number etc.

Have been into cruise personaliser and cannot even view my point balance from there - how can I get those details online? I rang to ask if it would affect me last week and told to login!

Now been hanging on to speak to P&O for quite a while................

Any advice - appart from 'try another cruise company', which is obvious!

I had a card through the post today too. I haven't had emails from P&O for a good few years now and looking at my account could never figure out why as I hadn't opted out of being contacted. Anyway, today I tried to log in to update as they said on the card but had to re-register for an account as going through the 'forgot password' route didn't work. So I've again ticked boxes to remain in Peninsular and for emails so I'll see if I start getting them again.

Off topic but I've just booked a couple of tours for our Iceland cruise in June, can't wait!! :D I tried to book yesterday but the cruise personaliser decided to go down and then 'under maintenance' so was glad to get them booked today.

Sam.

Do not think I ever had a login as such (with password), but have got into cruise personaliser by using a booking number etc.

Have been into cruise personaliser and cannot even view my point balance from there - how can I get those details online? I rang to ask if it would affect me last week and told to login!

Now been hanging on to speak to P&O for quite a while................

Any advice - appart from 'try another cruise company', which is obvious!

In P&O website click on Menu - at the very bottom of the dropdown is My Account, click that then either Login or Register.

We are now sorted as well. After a very long wait and fraught tel call, my husband was told to re-register. He was also given a unique reference number to quote in the process, which just so happened to be his Peninsula club number. Anyway it worked.

I then did the same, using my peninsula number and that worked as well - you have to tick to accept their conditions during the process. I ticked to accept offers etc. from P&O and got the choice of how to have that and chose to just have it by post, as I had previously done - means you still get brochures.

Just go to P&O website and work your way though my account etc. The links to use seemed obvious and then choose 'register'. Hope it works OK for everyone else :):)

I was going to ignore all this but finally decided I’d have a look in my account.

Couldn’t log in

Submitted a ‘forgot my password’

Got a message back that my email address was unknown to the system

Re-registered

Loyalty Club question was the first one

What a shambles

I suggest everyone should check, just to be on the safe side. A few clicks on a keypad now beats doing battle with P&O at some stage in the future

Just gave it a go and the same happened. Got re-registered then logged out. When I logged back in again personal details and loyalty/contact options were blank. Tried to re-input and got the message 'unauthorised user'. I eventually got everything re-input but have noticed that when I'd logged in previously it had said my personal details were locked down due to current bookings, which now doesn't seem to be the case.

Because we haven't heard anything by email or snail mail, I tried logging into my account.

My password was accepted, but not my email address because it's already in use!

I seriously doubt that...

I read about this whilst on Ventura last week .The loyalty lady had no idea what we were talking about and said quite categorically she could not help us .We received our Princess magazine today so will update now .

Having now gone through the re-registration process kindly highlighted by others on this thread (and not without the difficulties that everyone else has faced) I can now see exactly what P&O is doing. I shall try to explain;

Firstly, it is worth remembering that GDPR is not about the retention of customer data, as many seem to believe. It’s about how organisations use your data, principally for marketing or sales purposes.

There are around 6 principal mechanisms that organisations chose from in order to be GDPR compliant. The vast majority are choosing between 2 of them - Legitimate Interest or Consent.

In summary (and layman’s terms) a company may contact you without you having provided them with active consent if they can demonstrate that they have a ‘legitimate interest’ to do so. Examples of this might be that you have paid membership to join an organisation (so would expect to hear from them) or you support a charity and, having donated to them, you might reasonably want to be kept up to date about what they are doing with your money or how you may wish to continue supporting them. In my opinion, P&O could have relied upon ‘Legitimate Interest’ with regards to their Loyalty scheme.

Because organisations relying on Legitimate Interest have to follow a number of processes and checks in order to be able to justify this approach, many are struggling to understand it (or are nervous about relying on it), so are adopting the ‘consent’ option. This is as it says. Customers or supporters are asked to provide active consent which, when provided, allows the organisation to freely contact customers or supporters by the methods the customer agrees to and about the subjects they agree to. P&O appears to have adopted this route.

However, this is where the fun starts, because there is a major issue out there at the moment in that organisations are having major problems getting their customers to provide this consent. We are all, by nature, lazy or suspicious when it comes to being asked to provide ongoing consent. We might just delete an email or discard a letter (because it’s not a very sexy subject) or simply not understand it or be suspicious of it. Consequently, organisations are finding that vast numbers of their customers or supporters are failing to provide the consent when asked - even when they are known to be active supporters (charities) or customers. The worst example I have heard is one organisation that only had 2 percent (1 in 50) of its supporters respond by providing consent. Most are reporting 40 to 60 percent, so around half. Once an organisation goes down the consent route it is very difficult to then say ‘we will just rely on legitimate interest for those that didn’t respond’, so you risk losing around half of your customers or supporters as you cannot then actively contact them thereafter.

Because more and more organisations are hearing these horror stories about consent, they are adopting increasingly alarmist approaches to ensure that they don’t lose half of their marketing base. In P&O’s case they are implying that if you don’t provide consent you might lose your loyalty points. To add to the complication, they have created a new customer portal and have asked customers to re-register in order to access it. This is very clever, because they have linked it to an inference that you have to ask to remain in the loyalty scheme as part of their marketing consent process.

I maintain that there is absolutely no way that they would discard any past passengers loyalty points simply because they have not provided marketing consent on a new portal (they would never get away with it - I’d like to see them try), but there is nothing to fear or lose by re-registering so it certainly makes sense to do so.

Hope that long explanation is of some use!

Having now gone through the re-registration process kindly highlighted by others on this thread (and not without the difficulties that everyone else has faced) I can now see exactly what P&O is doing. I shall try to explain;

Firstly, it is worth remembering that GDPR is not about the retention of customer data, as many seem to believe. It’s about how organisations use your data, principally for marketing or sales purposes.

There are around 6 principal mechanisms that organisations chose from in order to be GDPR compliant. The vast majority are choosing between 2 of them - Legitimate Interest or Consent.

In summary (and layman’s terms) a company may contact you without you having provided them with active consent if they can demonstrate that they have a ‘legitimate interest’ to do so. Examples of this might be that you have paid membership to join an organisation (so would expect to hear from them) or you support a charity and, having donated to them, you might reasonably want to be kept up to date about what they are doing with your money or how you may wish to continue supporting them. In my opinion, P&O could have relied upon ‘Legitimate Interest’ with regards to their Loyalty scheme.

Because organisations relying on Legitimate Interest have to follow a number of processes and checks in order to be able to justify this approach, many are struggling to understand it (or are nervous about relying on it), so are adopting the ‘consent’ option. This is as it says. Customers or supporters are asked to provide active consent which, when provided, allows the organisation to freely contact customers or supporters by the methods the customer agrees to and about the subjects they agree to. P&O appears to have adopted this route.

However, this is where the fun starts, because there is a major issue out there at the moment in that organisations are having major problems getting their customers to provide this consent. We are all, by nature, lazy or suspicious when it comes to being asked to provide ongoing consent. We might just delete an email or discard a letter (because it’s not a very sexy subject) or simply not understand it or be suspicious of it. Consequently, organisations are finding that vast numbers of their customers or supporters are failing to provide the consent when asked - even when they are known to be active supporters (charities) or customers. The worst example I have heard is one organisation that only had 2 percent (1 in 50) of its supporters respond by providing consent. Most are reporting 40 to 60 percent, so around half. Once an organisation goes down the consent route it is very difficult to then say ‘we will just rely on legitimate interest for those that didn’t respond’, so you risk losing around half of your customers or supporters as you cannot then actively contact them thereafter.

Because more and more organisations are hearing these horror stories about consent, they are adopting increasingly alarmist approaches to ensure that they don’t lose half of their marketing base. In P&O’s case they are implying that if you don’t provide consent you might lose your loyalty points. To add to the complication, they have created a new customer portal and have asked customers to re-register in order to access it. This is very clever, because they have linked it to an inference that you have to ask to remain in the loyalty scheme as part of their marketing consent process.

I maintain that there is absolutely no way that they would discard any past passengers loyalty points simply because they have not provided marketing consent on a new portal (they would never get away with it - I’d like to see them try), but there is nothing to fear or lose by re-registering so it certainly makes sense to do so.

Hope that long explanation is of some use!

Very well explained.

When i filled in the Princess form it asked if you wanted to,

Join Captains circle or,

Do you wish to remain in the Captain's Circle loyalty scheme?.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Well I've tried to log-in only for it to tell me I don't exist. I've now registered, let's see if that works.

I had the same problem. If you haven’t done so already, where it asks for the reference number, you put your Peninsular Club number. It then realises who you are and populates your account with your cruise history etc although it took until the next day to update in my case.

GDPR has far more implications than mentioned on here. Though nothing to do with bonus points.

For instance say you were at the captain's meet that a lot of you seem to attend and you took a photo of other people there. Then go on to post the photo of said people, say on here or Facebook. Then one of the people saw their photo or were told about it and did not want their photo shown, they can then challenge the person who posted that photo. The poster could potentially have to pay a ridiculous amount of money in compensation.

It's not just about the big companies, Facebook, Twitter and any other social media where people post photos or information about other people without their consent will all be targeted.

• 2 weeks later...
Because we haven't heard anything by email or snail mail, I tried logging into my account.

My password was accepted, but not my email address because it's already in use!

I seriously doubt that...

I did receive a returnable card, so thought I was sorted... today I got an email with easy instructions... except I still can't log in because my email is already in use.

That's the same email P&O have used to send me the email...:o

Phoning tomorrow... :rolleyes:

I did receive a returnable card, so thought I was sorted... today I got an email with easy instructions... except I still can't log in because my email is already in use.

That's the same email P&O have used to send me the email...:o

Phoning tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Do we do one for our family or do we need to do individual notifications.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do we do one for our family or do we need to do individual notifications.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

individually

and also will not accept same email address for more than one person - I had to use different email to my wife as it said the email was already in use !!!!!! pain in the backside

individually

and also will not accept same email address for more than one person - I had to use different email to my wife as it said the email was already in use !!!!!! pain in the backside

I went through the same process after seeing a reminder post on another cruise forum, but still received letters in today's post asking me to do the same thing.

I suspect that P&O's IT system will fall well short of the needs of the new GDPR laws.;p

GDPR has far more implications than mentioned on here. Though nothing to do with bonus points.

For instance say you were at the captain's meet that a lot of you seem to attend and you took a photo of other people there. Then go on to post the photo of said people, say on here or Facebook. Then one of the people saw their photo or were told about it and did not want their photo shown, they can then challenge the person who posted that photo. The poster could potentially have to pay a ridiculous amount of money in compensation.

It's not just about the big companies, Facebook, Twitter and any other social media where people post photos or information about other people without their consent will all be targeted.

Sorry but that is utter utter nonsense.

I suggest you actually read the details of the regulation rather then regurgitate what you overhead someone spouting down the pub.