What to do at FLL

moki'smommy

I've never done anything at FLL as we drive from north FL and don't have time to kill, but there used to be talk of taking a water taxi/tour and such. Have you checked the Ports of Call board, Florida Departures? May be some info there.

Put your luggage in Bags to Go for a few hours. They are located in two terminals near the baggage pick up. I think it's about $7/bag for the day...actually until 5 pm. Then go outside near the the signs that say Sun Trolley for a FREE trip to Las Olas Blvd for lunch. You can then take the FREE water taxi up and down the nearby river and drool over the yachts. Can't beat the cost!

We don't fly home till 6pm. Thoughts on what there is to do at the airport or where to go while waiting to fly out?

Take a water taxi ride. You"ll go buy million dollar homes and you can stop by the beach. Across beach are shops. A lot of fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Put your luggage in Bags to Go for a few hours. They are located in two terminals near the baggage pick up. I think it's about $7/bag for the day...actually until 5 pm. Then go outside near the the signs that say Sun Trolley for a FREE trip to Las Olas Blvd for lunch. You can then take the FREE water taxi up and down the nearby river and drool over the yachts. Can't beat the cost!

If your departure is on a weekend then yes, the Sun Trolley is operational, not on weekdays. I don't know how you can travel on the water taxi for free, I have done it a few times, and it is a good way to spend a couple of hours for $28.00 p/p. I have the same situation at the end of this month, but not quite so long a time to kill, and don't know what we will do. I wish one could walk over to the park just north of FLL, but I don't think it's possible.

We don't fly until 6:30 (ugh) so are looking for something to do after the cruise but before the flight. Both the Water Taxi and the Carrie B seem interesting. The $25 Carrie B trip seems to be pretty much the same thing as the $60 Princess excursion... :confused:

If your departure is on a weekend then yes, the Sun Trolley is operational, not on weekdays. I don't know how you can travel on the water taxi for free, I have done it a few times, and it is a good way to spend a couple of hours for $28.00 p/p. I have the same situation at the end of this month, but not quite so long a time to kill, and don't know what we will do. I wish one could walk over to the park just north of FLL, but I don't think it's possible.

I looked it up on line--the water trolley is free, the water taxi is $28. Unfortunately the airport trolley route only runs on weekends. Still, an uber to the trolley isn't bad.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Rent a car for the day (Florida has some pretty decent rental car rates), lock your luggage in the trunk, and enjoy whatever you please until you need to drive over to the airport. If you use Alamo (who offers free transfers from the port to their FLL location) part of the cost of your car is defrayed by not having to pay for a transfer.

Hank

Last time I cruised into FLL my flight left late in the day. We took a taxi to the Bonnet House and did the tour there, which was very interesting, and also rode the water taxi, and found a nice place for lunch.

We were on HAL and used the luggage program to send our bags directly to SW at the airport so we didn't have to fuss with them, but our biggest problem was we were off the ship too early for anything to be open! It was January and kind of chilly, so we ended up finding a breakfast place that was open and staying there as long as we could killing time until the wait staff started giving us dirty looks because we were hogging the table :D We left a nice tip and gave up our spot earlier than we wanted to!

The website for the Carrie B says they can store your luggage, so that looks like it might be the best choice. You could taxi/uber from the ship directly to the Carrie B dock and save the Port to Fll, luggage storage, taxi/uber back again charges.

The best for me was to take the Princess excursion after we got to FLL. They took our luggage and stored it in the bus. They then drove us around, pointing out different areas of interest; then we did a walking tour (and bathroom break) around the area where you get the paddle boat. Finally, you board the paddle wheeler for a nice, leisurely tour of the homes, yachts, etc. on the inland waterway, and then have a nice lunch on board. It really was a great tour and they drop you off at your airline once it's done. I don't recall how much it was, but well worth it and I didn't have to worry about my luggage. I was traveling solo so it was doubly good.

I spent many hours in the Ft. Lauderdale area until my aunt died about 25 years ago. She had a condo a block from the beach and block from the inland waterway. This trip was sort of a re-introduction to a vastly renewed area for me. I now take an extra day at the end of any cruise docking in FLL just so I can spend some time there.

Maureen

We had a similar situation after disembarking from a recent Crown Princess cruise. We took a taxi to the airport, rented a car for relatively cheap, and ended up pulling up a few multi million dollar open houses on the Redfin app and touring those. I've also done the water taxi before and enjoyed that, but you need to allow several hours for it. We also tried Sawgrass Mills but this was on a Saturday in December so there wasn't a single parking spot to be found anywhere.

There are also the ship excursions, but those will likely leave you at the airport many hours before your flight.

Edited by Vexorg

Rent a car for the day (Florida has some pretty decent rental car rates), lock your luggage in the trunk, and enjoy whatever you please until you need to drive over to the airport. If you use Alamo (who offers free transfers from the port to their FLL location) part of the cost of your car is defrayed by not having to pay for a transfer.

Hank

Alamo no longer offers transfers to FLL since they opened their Port Everglades location. When I did this recently, I found that even with the cost of a taxi figured in it was still cheaper to rent from Alamo at FLL than it would have been to rent from the Port Everglades location and return to FLL.

Hank

That’s what we did in December. Except we got the car from port Everglades location and dropped off at the airport. Easy Peasy. We were so lucky too - it happened to be a very rainy day when we disembarked and were so fortunate to have a plan that kept us dry.

$50 for the whole day $3 in gas lol. It stored our luggage and was our airport transfer for 4 ppl.

Last time I cruised into FLL my flight left late in the day. We took a taxi to the Bonnet House and did the tour there, which was very interesting, and also rode the water taxi, and found a nice place for lunch.

We were on HAL and used the luggage program to send our bags directly to SW at the airport so we didn't have to fuss with them, but our biggest problem was we were off the ship too early for anything to be open! It was January and kind of chilly, so we ended up finding a breakfast place that was open and staying there as long as we could killing time until the wait staff started giving us dirty looks because we were hogging the table :D We left a nice tip and gave up our spot earlier than we wanted to!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Bonnet House; that is our plan once we disembark Caribbean Princess on Easter Sunday. There are a lot of restaurants in that area; I believe we have decided on Casablanca Café right on A1A before heading to the airport for our 5pm flight.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Bonnet House; that is our plan once we disembark Caribbean Princess on Easter Sunday. There are a lot of restaurants in that area; I believe we have decided on Casablanca Café right on A1A before heading to the airport for our 5pm flight.

We are wondering about things being closed on Easter Sunday. We will likely want to do the Carrie B or the Water Taxi or something to take up the time we are in FLL before our flights but don't know if the Easter holiday will mess with availability.

We are wondering about things being closed on Easter Sunday. We will likely want to do the Carrie B or the Water Taxi or something to take up the time we are in FLL before our flights but don't know if the Easter holiday will mess with availability.

Most places have their schedules posted on line (along with a code for a small discount if you purchase tickets in advance). It is actually easy to see what it open and what is not.

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/

It's the Riverwalk Water Trolley that is free. Darn good enough for a couple of hours! See my link above.

Edited by kendon
Yes, Saturdays and Sundays