Cruise Prices

NyYankees2k3

Anyone else find that NCL has been going up on price by a lot? Within the last 3-4 years or so.. used to be able to get that sweet spot of about $2000 for 2 people, balcony, include tax and alcohol gratuity for 7 day cruise. Been hard to find that within the last year or so. I am finally platinum and haven't been on an NCL cruise since. The next two cruises I have booked are on Princess (with alcohol package included), and Royal (will pay for package, but will still be cheaper than NCL). (Also a little upset, since they keep taking away drinks from the package. The latest being Hendrick's which is my go to drink...)

Just wondering any others noticing the same? I always thought NCL had the best value for the quality of service, etc.

It is common on all lines but MSC. I found of all the ships and all the lines that we look at or have sailed, the new NCL Encore had the worst pricing of a any ship I've seen . To compare, my 15 day Panama Canal that I booked for 2019 back in 2017 for four people in an inside cabin is only a couple hundred more than NCL is asking for a standard 7 day for four in a balcony. This past year prices have jumped quite a bit industry wide and why we book every cruise two years out. Prices only go up and we lock in prices. Heck, they want over $2100 more for a simple ocean view window cabin my Panama Canal cruise now on the Bliss at this moment. Can you imagine over $2000 more for a window?

It's been a while since I've seen a price on NCL that is competitive with the competition. That of course is based on 1) when I am looking at booking a cruise (how far in advance of sailing), 2) where I am looking to cruise from, and 3) what time of year we are looking to book. When I priced a cruise for next April a couple months ago NCL out of NYC was $3600, CCL out of Baltimore was $2200, and RCI out of NJ was $1770 (all for balcony cabins). So when booking it always pays to shop around.

It is common on all lines but MSC. I found of all the ships and all the lines that we look at or have sailed, the new NCL Encore had the worst pricing of a any ship I've seen . To compare, my 15 day Panama Canal that I booked for 2019 back in 2017 for four people in an inside cabin is only a couple hundred more than NCL is asking for a standard 7 day for four in a balcony. This past year prices have jumped quite a bit industry wide and why we book every cruise two years out. Prices only go up and we lock in prices. Heck, they want over $2100 more for a simple ocean view window cabin my Panama Canal cruise now on the Bliss at this moment. Can you imagine over $2000 more for a window?

Have you been on MSC yet? I've been tempted to try it, but read mixed reviews about the SeaSide?

To clarify too... my pricing is for "off peak" times, since we are flexible on when we can travel during the year (usually we have gone February or November)

It's been a while since I've seen a price on NCL that is competitive with the competition. That of course is based on 1) when I am looking at booking a cruise (how far in advance of sailing), 2) where I am looking to cruise from, and 3) what time of year we are looking to book. When I priced a cruise for next April a couple months ago NCL out of NYC was $3600, CCL out of Baltimore was $2200, and RCI out of NJ was $1770 (all for balcony cabins). So when booking it always pays to shop around.

Yeah.. even now, I am looking at early 2020, and don't see many "good deals".

Have you been on MSC yet? I've been tempted to try it, but read mixed reviews about the SeaSide?

To clarify too... my pricing is for "off peak" times, since we are flexible on when we can travel during the year (usually we have gone February or November)

Yes, we sailed the MSC Seaside in April. Everything about it was fantastic, especially the price. Kids loved it!

Well, we have jumped ship and gone to MSC. We have 21 days on the Divina this Dec. and 21 days on the Seaside next Dec. We did find a nice price on the Epic for 11 days in Jan. that we booked, inside $649pp without the drink gratuities and dsc.

The Divina we paid $649 pp for 11 days and $549 pp for 10 days, both have drinks included and are balcony cabins. You can't find that on NCL.

8df39d2920b77305b2a936d5b5711001.jpg

Indeed prices have gone up. In March 2015 I did a 5 day Cabo cruise a little less than $500 per person . At that that time there was non “gratuity” beverage service charge . My price included the beverage package . Now it’s the additional “beverage service charge “ that makes it more expensive. even if were to pick a sail away rate it wont come this cheap and it definitely won't come with a beverage package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Georgie562

Well, we have jumped ship and gone to MSC. We have 21 days on the Divina this Dec. and 21 days on the Seaside next Dec. We did find a nice price on the Epic for 11 days in Jan. that we booked, inside $649pp without the drink gratuities and dsc.

The Divina we paid $649 pp for 11 days and $549 pp for 10 days, both have drinks included and are balcony cabins. You can't find that on NCL.

All the "cheap" MSC fares I've seen have a drink coupons or a very limited package of drinks...has this changed recently?

Looking at an 11 day Eastern Carribbean Celebrity Equinox for Sept 2019...Veranda Cabin, "go best" all in is right at 5K for 2. Prepaid tips, internet ( no interest to me)., $300 OBC. and the Premium Drink package...very few exclusions...

All the "cheap" MSC fares I've seen have a drink coupons or a very limited package of drinks...has this changed recently?

Looking at an 11 day Eastern Carribbean Celebrity Equinox for Sept 2019...Veranda Cabin, "go best" all in is right at 5K for 2. Prepaid tips, internet ( no interest to me)., $300 OBC. and the Premium Drink package...very few exclusions...

The Drinks on us package includes beers, wines and well drinks. We upgraded to the Classic package for $18pp per day and it includes a lot more such as foo foo drinks, gelato, milkshakes, bottled water, and several other things Also, with the Classic package, gratuities are included. This is only on the Caribbean cruises though.

The Drinks on us package includes beers, wines and well drinks. We upgraded to the Classic package for $18pp per day and it includes a lot more such as foo foo drinks, gelato, milkshakes, bottled water, and several other things Also, with the Classic package, gratuities are included. This is only on the Caribbean cruises though.

Now that is what you call a drink package :rolleyes:

NCL should be ashamed of themselves pricing their UBP at $89 with not much included just so the beverage service charge can be more $$$ for them to pocket

We too are booked on our first Celebrity cruise for 2020 after cruising MSC, NCL, Carnival, Princess and Holland. 12 day Southern on the X Silhouette (7 ports) in a deluxe angled Veranda for me, wife, and two kids for $6117 (minus grats). Classic drink package for wife and I. We felt this was a good deal considering it's Celebrity, nice large balcony cabin, drink package and a great itinerary. We move to whichever line is offering the best deals. We are loyal to none.

It's simple economics. Prices go up. For all lines.

Compare dates, schedules, ships, prices, inclusions etc and decide what offers the best value for you. Nobody else can tell you one line offers you better value than another. They'll try but that only applies to them and their experiences and circumstances.

Go with the best value. However it will likely be more expensive than you paid previously, regardless of who you sail with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's simple economics. Prices go up. For all lines.

Compare dates, schedules, ships, prices, inclusions etc and decide what offers the best value for you. Nobody else can tell you one line offers you better value than another. They'll try but that only applies to them and their experiences and circumstances.

Go with the best value. However it will likely be more expensive than you paid previously, regardless of who you sail with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So true. Check out all the other vacation options. Theme park tickets are skyrocketing, hotel prices are up double digits on average, state and federal park admission prices are up, airfares are climbing, etc. The economy is so strong that everyone is trying to get their "piece of the pie" while they can. These companies are, after all, for profit entities. This, combined with the severe labor shortage, will continue to drive prices.

Now that is what you call a drink package :rolleyes:

NCL should be ashamed of themselves pricing their UBP at $89 with not much included just so the beverage service charge can be more $$$ for them to pocket

Don't knock it until you read the actual package. Yes I paid 18 more a day but I also pay gratuities on NCL which you do not pay with the Classic package on MSC.

Anyone else find that NCL has been going up on price by a lot? Within the last 3-4 years or so.. used to be able to get that sweet spot of about $2000 for 2 people, balcony, include tax and alcohol gratuity for 7 day cruise. Been hard to find that within the last year or so. I am finally platinum and haven't been on an NCL cruise since. The next two cruises I have booked are on Princess (with alcohol package included), and Royal (will pay for package, but will still be cheaper than NCL). (Also a little upset, since they keep taking away drinks from the package. The latest being Hendrick's which is my go to drink...)

Just wondering any others noticing the same? I always thought NCL had the best value for the quality of service, etc.

I do not remember many cruises in the past few years where you can get drinks as a perk and a nice balcony for $2,000.00 but maybe my memory is slipping. Without booze yes, but I also remember when you could find a hotel room for the night prior to sailing for about $100 a night and that was about 5 or so years ago. Now we are paying around $200 per night. Even our little hotel next to the airport here used to charge about $65.00 a night and we could leave our car there for 2 weeks, no charge. Now it is almost $100 a night and $3 a night for parking. It is the price we are paying for travel.

and the length of the cruise and the class of the ship. Actually, we have fond if you compare itinerary to itinerary and class to class, RCI is still higher. There is no way, a similar cruise is going to be twice as much on one line than the other if all else is equal!!!! :confused:

We are on the Dawn next Feb: outside cabin, 10 day cruise with only 1 sea day, including the gratuities on the drink package, insurance, all fees we are paying just over $3100.00. NO it is not a balcony but the fact remains it does include everything except daily service charges. If it were one of the new ships, it would be more and we would expect that.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We have not but our travel agent and a few friends from our church have. Their opinion is pretty much: beautiful ships, not such good anything else and their low prices are designed to pick up the American market. That being said, if we not about to end our cruising days due to age and health issues we would give them a try.

and the length of the cruise and the class of the ship. Actually, we have fond if you compare itinerary to itinerary and class to class, RCI is still higher. There is no way, a similar cruise is going to be twice as much on one line than the other if all else is equal!!!! :confused:

We are on the Dawn next Feb: outside cabin, 10 day cruise with only 1 sea day, including the gratuities on the drink package, insurance, all fees we are paying just over $3100.00. NO it is not a balcony but the fact remains it does include everything except daily service charges. If it were one of the new ships, it would be more and we would expect that.

Yes, the length of the cruise can impact the price, but right now we can only book the 7 night cruises. The pricing I quoted was for similar ships (as I understand Anthem and Escape, with the exception of Pride for CCL) and the sailing dates were similar with similar category of cabin. So yes, Royal was half what NCL was asking for with all things being equal. And I'm not that hung up on ship class, as long as the itinerary is one we want to do we'll gladly sail on an older ship especially if it is significantly less money.

it seems like the best prices for voyages are when they are first released...as time goes on and the sail date gets closer you have the same price strategies as hotels and airlines...we booked a suite on the dawn 7 mos ago for next May (19) sailing where they included the tax and port fees along with the other (4) promos thrown in...i log on EVERY DAY and the prices have fluctuated $500 to $1000 more per person since i booked...it seems the prices go up and stay up until sailing...unless its a truly last minute sailing..

In north east Pennsylvania 5 years ago you could purchase a nice home for around $95 per square foot....now for the same caliber home in today's market its about $125 per square foot....

I guess we have to accept certain inalienable truths...prices will rise...politicians will philander.. you too will get old, and when you do you will fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

A friend who usually only cruises on Royal Caribbean tried MSC and said it was the overall worst cruise experience they had. Bad food and bad service. They have gone back to only cruising with Royal Caribbean.

A friend who usually only cruises on Royal Caribbean tried MSC and said it was the overall worst cruise experience they had. Bad food and bad service. They have gone back to only cruising with Royal Caribbean.

Had two cruises on MSC....one on Divina out of Miami, and on Meriviglia out of Barcelona.

I took them as part of a "status match" (Black Card). I did sail in the Yacht Club. But, they were both in my top 5 cruises I've ever taken. Both ships were among the most beautiful I've ever sailed.

Food and service were outstanding. If you want something like a "Guy's Burgers" or "Johnny Rockets" experience, you'll probably be disappointed. But, the food was creative, fresh and prepared well...from the Buffet all the way to the specialty dinners I had in "Eataly".

Where you might have complaint is with the entertainment. It is catered towards a more culturally generic crowd. And, the time we went to see their Cirque show, one of the performers was severely injured dropping about 20 feet to the floor from a trapeze. That put a real damper on the entertainment. But, I hear they're changing the entertainment up constantly to get it dialed in to their big push in the Caribbean.

I'll definitely sail them again.

Since the "free perk" deals prices have shot up. Same thing happened on Celebrity when they introduced the "free perks" 5 or 6 years ago. They were a good deal the first year then they started jacking the fares up to cover the cost of the free stuff. I would have like to book a mexico cruise on the Joy next year since I can drive to the port but it's like $4k for a decent balcony cabin. I can do the same cruise on the new Carnival Panorama for just over $2k and for $800 buy the beverage package. That's about $1200 cheaper for an identical cruise.