UBD cold water lobster or warm water?

Loreni

I have seen photos of the Ultimate mate Balcony Dinner that show large cold water lobster tails and thick beef tenderloin, but most of these pictures are from several years ago.

I have seen more recent photos showing the same puny warm water lobster served in the MDR. In these photos surf and turf was served and the beef also looked not as nice as the beef served years ago.

Yet, I found one recently posted photo showing the nicer lobster and beef...but maybe it was an old photo that had been recently posted.

I'd go with steelers36.

We did the balcony dinner and it was really nice and felt it was worth the price.

However..."surf-n-turf" in the cruise industry has a whole new meaning.

I've had a beef medallion and a measly shrimp that I guess qualified as surf n turf.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that monster New England lobster over butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd go with steelers36.

We did the balcony dinner and it was really nice and felt it was worth the price.

However..."surf-n-turf" in the cruise industry has a whole new meaning.

I've had a beef medallion and a measly shrimp that I guess qualified as surf n turf.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that monster New England lobster over butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone with a handle like that deserves a shoutout! :D

If you've ever had REAL cold-water lobster (Maine) you can never completely enjoy second-rate (no claws!) spiny, pre-frozen, warm-water lobster (from the Caribbean, Mediterranean or Asian). You'll only get the tails on the latter as that's the only part available to eat. With lobster, always buy (or ingest) AMERICAN!

If you've ever had REAL cold-water lobster (Maine) you can never completely enjoy second-rate (no claws!) spiny, pre-frozen, warm-water lobster (from the Caribbean, Mediterranean or Asian). You'll only get the tails on the latter as that's the only part available to eat. With lobster, always buy (or ingest) AMERICAN!

Love your name! Just don't think I would ever know the difference between cold or warm water lobster. The mere fact I'm offered lobster is enough for me!

+1. Amen!!! You are 100% correct.

DON

American lobster (cold water lobster) lives anywhere from Canada to about Maryland. As if the lobster knows the boundary line between Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, etc. ;) Anyway, it is often served just as a tail. Some people do not want to deal with cracking the the thing open and claws can be really hard to crack. Claw meat is delicious though. :) If you're from New England you would almost certainly know the difference in taste between cold water and warm water, but then again we can have it year round whenever we want. If you are from anywhere else, just enjoy it whether it's warm or cold water tail. :D

We have been doing the UBD for many years. You are correct in that the sizes of the lobster tails are smaller now. About three or four years ago the crown grill STOPPED offering Australian lobster tails for an added $$. These were the large beautiful lobster tails you see in the pics. Now, they offer the smaller lobster tails that are served in the crown grill. They are a bit bigger than the ones served in the main dining room -- but not by much. With all the food offered during the UBD, I find the smaller tails are not a problem. Plus, the servers used to bring a few extra in case you wanted more. I am sure it depends on the server and probably not anymore given the added charge for more than one entrée in the Crown Grill now.

I totally agree with you. The lobster on the ship it Terrible.

Tony

Warm water lobster but beautifully cooked and delicious. We chose the lobster only option for our UBD last week and were served three tails each.

BTW there are cold water lobster in other parts of the world but they are a different species to Maine lobster. Naturally any lobster is best when it is just caught and freshly cooked, as is any seafood. Since I don't live in the north east USA my favourite is the NZ rock lobster!

Love your name! Just don't think I would ever know the difference between cold or warm water lobster. The mere fact I'm offered lobster is enough for me!

Ha - you're one of only a few that knows what it means or deigns to look it up. Uh, you can call me "Chun" BTW. Otherwise, to remove myself a little from sounding elitist (and I'm not EVEN from New England anyway; was only stationed in the area for 3 yrs.], unless you grew up w/cold water lobster, if you DO have and like warm water lobster, by all means enjoy as the Good Lord intended. Otherwise, once you cold-water crack, you can never go back....

But there IS little better on Earth than to have an entire Maine lobster (body, claws, tail) with some clarified butter in front of you. Then do what comes naturally (I'm an "expert" with our Dungeness crab here in the SF Bay Area), that is, remove all items that aren't meat and eat! Actually that reminds me of what they say about how to make an eagle ice sculpture: Just chip away everything that doesn't look like an eagle! :D

Mike

I presume you mean Homarus Americanus. They are not limited to Maine or the USA.

I presume you mean Homarus Americanus. They are not limited to Maine or the USA.

Hmm, "Homarus Americanus." NOT that there's anything wrong with that! [seinfeld]. But yes, you are right of course. Most folks here in America believe that lobster comes solely from Maine, the way they believe all facial tissues are "Kleenex" or all motorcycles are "Harleys." Just a convenient term (or in this case, geographical location). Thank you for the distinction -- delicious from the USA OR Canada(dian Reds). Any port in a storm, so long as it's the sweeter cold-water lobster; Yumm-O!!(y)