What To Take In Luggage

jlp20

For thosenew to cruising, what to take with you can be puzzling. By our fifth cruise wehad a handle on this issue. Found a small storage behind the door “bag” withindividual compartments. It stays in the luggage and is ready to go all thetime

OUR LIST:

Small “Swiss Army” style pocket knife that isin my pocket soon after embarkation.

“Leatherman” typetool.

Small flashlight,that happens to be waterproof.

“Bungee” type elasticcord.

20’ of thin nyloncord (don’t laugh, doesn’t weigh anything and dosen’t take up any space. Makesa great clothesline)

Small roll of ducttape

Travel type sewingkit.

Very small first aidkit

Power strip, this hasbeen used every trip. Why cruise lines have not changed small outlets is beyondme. May be frowned on by ship security, put in carry on.

Clothes pins/springclips

Small handful oflarge paper clips (can be bent into a multitude of needed shapes).

A couple of $20 billsstashed away.

Then add a miniaturizedpharmacy to cover everyday needs

While most of thesethings are available on the ship, I don’t feel right paying $5 for two aspirinor waiting for the steward to deliver a loaned item.

Every item listed has been used at least twice while on a ship. Anyway, this works for us

OUR LIST:

Small “Swiss Army” style pocket knife that isin my pocket soon after embarkation.

“Leatherman” typetool.

20’ of thin nyloncord (don’t laugh, doesn’t weigh anything and dosen’t take up any space. Makesa great clothesline)

Small roll of ducttape

Travel type sewingkit.

Very small first aidkit

Power strip, this hasbeen used every trip. Why cruise lines have not changed small outlets is beyondme. May be frowned on by ship security, put in carry on.

Clothes pins/springclips

Small handful oflarge paper clips (can be bent into a multitude of needed shapes).

OK, MacGyver.

Pretty much none of the things mentioned. Save the first aid kit.

Amen. Especially duct tape (when you can just ask someone from the entertainment crew for gaffer tape when strong (but easily removable) tape may be needed. Room steward can supply everything else that you don't already have on a smart phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago I asked CC members about whether or not is was ok to bring a small pocket-size folding knife onboard. What some people call a pen-knife. I asked because my husband always has one in his pocket with his change. I was soundly spanked by the CC community because members were astounded that I would dare suggest bringing such a deadly weapon onto the ship. So I question the idea of bringing your swiss army knife onboard. I have also heard of people having leatherman tools and scissors taken by security.

For thosenew to cruising, what to take with you can be puzzling. By our fifth cruise wehad a handle on this issue. Found a small storage behind the door “bag” withindividual compartments. It stays in the luggage and is ready to go all thetime

OUR LIST:

“Leatherman” typetool.

Small roll of ducttape

Travel type sewingkit.

Very small first aidkit

Clothes pins/springclips

While most of thesethings are available on the ship, I don’t feel right paying $5 for two aspirinor waiting for the steward to deliver a loaned item.

Every item listed has been used at least twice while on a ship. Anyway, this works for us

Great list! I can see how many of those things would be useful.

We carry the following because we have found it useful on many trips and cruises:

Ziploc Snack bag first aid kit - contains single use antibiotic cream, cleaning wipes, a few adhesive bandages, splinter remover, and single dose ibuprophen

flash light that floats and has a magnetic base - can stick to wall for an easy night light or carry with me in case of a power outage

tweezers

folding scissors

power strip and a doodad that changes a light socket to a power outlet - just make sure you put the bulb in a safe place and return it to the socket. We put it back each morning after our electronics are charged but the person who gave us the idea said they just let their cabin steward know they will be returning it and never had a problem.

travel sewing kit with extra safety pins in several sizes

elastic clothes line

4-5 clothes pins

6 magnetic 25 lb hooks - great for making places to hang swimsuits to dry

duct tape - you don't have to take a big roll I wound some on a smaller, lighter cardboard center that came from some Christmas wrap

Fabric over door shoe rack with clear pockets for organizing everything

Beach bag - great for keeping track of things and keeping your hands free

...Did you forget to pack...gifts for the crew?????

Other than prepaid calling cards, crew has no need of any "gift". I prefer plain cash, crew can do what they want or need. Only takes a couple of days to figure out if your steward is just OK or better. We usually make additional TIP upfront on 3rd day to help supervision dipping into stewards pockets.

power strip and a doodad that changes a light socket to a power outlet - just make sure you put the bulb in a safe place and return it to the socket. We put it back each morning after our electronics are charged but the person who gave us the idea said they just let their cabin steward know they will be returning it and never had a problem.

TravelinGert - Edited to ask if you know what the voltage is in the lights in the cabin? In other words, will one of these that I buy in the US work? Sorry, I am electrically dumb...

Edited by Steve and Sharon

TravelinGert I am very interested as to what this doodad is called and where you get one.

It's just a threaded fitting that replaces a lightbulb and has an outlet on its side as well as the female threaded end to allow replacement of the lamp's light bulb. Any regular hardware store has them.

But, if you think you need one on a cruise, you're bringing way too many electronic/electric appliance devices.

It's just a threaded fitting that replaces a lightbulb and has an outlet on its side as well as the female threaded end to allow replacement of the lamp's light bulb. Any regular hardware store has them.

But, if you think you need one on a cruise, you're bringing way too many electronic/electric appliance devices.

Thanks. It really has nothing to do with the amount of electronics I bring. Just trying to avoid bringing an extension cord long enough to reach the bed for a small travel fan that I always sleep with. I thought it could work in the bedside light. Hubby likes the room too hot for me, so I bring a fan to sleep more comfortably. I get to pick the cabin location, so he gets to keep the cabin temp he likes. :D

Years ago I asked CC members about whether or not is was ok to bring a small pocket-size folding knife onboard. What some people call a pen-knife. I asked because my husband always has one in his pocket with his change. I was soundly spanked by the CC community because members were astounded that I would dare suggest bringing such a deadly weapon onto the ship. So I question the idea of bringing your swiss army knife onboard. I have also heard of people having leatherman tools and scissors taken by security.
I always bring a tiny Swiss Army knife (about 1 1/2 inches long), because it also has little scissors. I put it in my checked luggage.

I always bring a tiny Swiss Army knife (about 1 1/2 inches long), because it also has little scissors. I put it in my checked luggage.

I keep one of those in my purse all the time. That scissors is so tiny but it is incredibly useful!

Other than prepaid calling cards, crew has no need of any "gift". I prefer plain cash, crew can do what they want or need. Only takes a couple of days to figure out if your steward is just OK or better. We usually make additional TIP upfront on 3rd day to help supervision dipping into stewards pockets.

The crew has no need for prepaid calling cards either. IF they need them they can get them cheaper on board. Plus many cards bought in the US can only be used from the US making the worthless. With Syke and all the other on line programs they hardly need to use the phone anymore when they can see family on line.