Cruise ship brawl leaves passenger with horror facial injuries - and stuck in Vanuatu

It's my understanding they don't do drink packages on Australian cruises. And did anyone catch that he admitted his brother threw the first punch. Pretty certain the cruise contract will protect Royal on this. Glad they got locked up and kicked off - utterly ridiculous.

If they don't offer the drink package, I wonder if the cost of drinks is any less. I think that does drive some people into buying the package and then ensuring they get their monies worth.

Even a drink for something like US$12 is a steal for most Australians, especially those in places like Sydney and Melbourne.

Love the exploitive click bait press. "Horror Facial Injuries." Couple of scrapes and a minor shiner. Get over it.

But, check out my next post for the most amazing diet tips ever!

Love the exploitive click bait press. "Horror Facial Injuries." Couple of scrapes and a minor shiner. Get over it.

But, check out my next post for the most amazing diet tips ever!

To be fair, he allegedly suffered multiple fractures and a broken nose. That's horrific enough, even if the title is complete click-bait.

Given that he threw the first punch, I doubt he will have much luck in his proposed lawsuits. "But, he told me he had a knife and was going to kill me!" Well, that's when I turn to the nearest RCL staff and say, "This guy says he has a knife and is going to kill me." Punching the guy threatening to kill you with a knife seems like a bad idea all the way around.

Well, that's when I turn to the nearest RCL staff and say, "This guy says he has a knife and is going to kill me." Punching the guy threatening to kill you with a knife seems like a bad idea all the way around.

That is what I was thinking. While it's never happened on a cruise, I have encountered a similar situation on land. I announced loudly for an entire restaurant to hear, "Can I have everyone's attention, please get out your cell phones, this man is threatening me and I want lots of witnesses. " He stormed off.

On that note, these help lower prices! I've not so shamelessly taken advantage of price drops created by bad news. My upcoming Jewel cruise is the cheapest 7 day balcony cruise I have ever done. Costa Concordia got me a room upgrade and Carnival Triumph breaking down got me a low cost upgrade.

That's smart of you.

On the other side of the coin, we were enjoying our cruise to Alaska on Princess last summer when our neighbor a few doors down decides to beat his wife to death while their daughter was in the room with them.

Princess was wonderful to everyone. They did everything right as far as I can tell. I can't say enough good things about Princess.

With all that said, we will never sail on Princess again...nothing against Princess...it's just that memory will never go away.

Just my two cents that everyone has a different tolerance to alcohol and needs to know what their tolerance is. I am not sure if the Brother had too much to drink up until the fight. Can the Medical center test for drugs and alcohol in the investigation?

I know my limits and I would be ashamed if someone had to cut me off. I myself have never been cut off and I would not want to be that fool who gets kicked off the ship and in the news for a brawl.

I try to keep the peace!

It's my understanding they don't do drink packages on Australian cruises. And did anyone catch that he admitted his brother threw the first punch. Pretty certain the cruise contract will protect Royal on this. Glad they got locked up and kicked off - utterly ridiculous.

Of course they do. Like everyone else, Australians love them.

Just my two cents that everyone has a different tolerance to alcohol and needs to know what their tolerance is. I am not sure if the Brother had too much to drink up until the fight. Can the Medical center test for drugs and alcohol in the investigation?

I know my limits and I would be ashamed if someone had to cut me off. I myself have never been cut off and I would not want to be that fool who gets kicked off the ship and in the news for a brawl.

I try to keep the peace!

One thing that always gets left out in conversations about violence and alcohol - a violent jerk is always a violent jerk, alcohol may just make it worse. A perfectly quiet, normal person isn't going to become a violent jerk because of alcohol, no matter how much. I've gone overboard on drinking many times in my life, and would never hurt a fly...because it's not me and I'm not capable of that. On the flip side, someone who becomes violent after drinking was always a violent person...the alcohol just brought it out and/or made it worse.

Even a drink for something like US$12 is a steal for most Australians, especially those in places like Sydney and Melbourne.

They absolutely offer the drinks package on Australian cruises.

I never get the drinks package as I dont drink enough to justify it, but I paid $7 for a pint of beer on Radiance. Which is about the same as I would pay in a bar or restaurant in Melbourne.

Considering the fairly obvious, um... Stretching of facts by the brother, I'm not going to believe the first aid story until there's verification from a neutral source.

Agreed! Especially when the brother admitted throwing the first punch. They’re lucky they were put off in Vanuatu rather than being charged with assault

That’s not correct - where did you hear that?

Cocktails that are US$12 on a sailing out fin the US are US$14 here (our price so include grats). That’s about AUD$18...not eye watering but certainly not ‘a steal’

Ah, I think I saw on the Carnival thread about their brawl that Carnival doesn't do drink packages in Oz. My bad.

Interesting! I didn't know that about Carnival.

Drink packages are very popular on RCI here but are expensive. I've seen it up to USD$82 daily when purchased onboard. If we purchase online in advance it's usually less, and is priced in AUD

Yikes! Sounds like some Australians tend to get into drunken brawls. I don't even see this on my Carnival booze cruises out of Long Beach.

I'll be interested to see if the lawsuit is successful, if Royal settles out of court. If the man in the article was the victim of a crime and Royal treated him more like a criminal, then compensation in the form of a judgement seems reasonable.

On the other hand the article even states that his brother threw the first punch. The other fellow may have threatened and did some damage, but you cannot say that the brother was only a victim.

It's my understanding they don't do drink packages on Australian cruises.

Oh, they definitely do. Even on three night cruises with RCL here.

And there were many taking advantage of them as well. The bars are 'chockers.'

Onboard drinks are often US14, including gratuity. Convert that to AUD = 18 dollars.

That's far from a "steal". It's comparable to the price for a cocktail in a nice restaurant or city bar. Go to a pub or suburban venue and it will be cheaper, especially for other drinks.

I was on the cruise immediately prior to this one on the Voyager and have friends still on there so I look forward to hearing their comments.

P&O and Royal offer drink packages out of Australia. I was sure Carnival did but it seems they may have just stopped due to the recent brawl.

Cheers

Di