I miss indoor cigar smoking...

macruisefan

As an ex-smoker, I am a huge advocate for limiting or eliminating smoking areas as much as possible. And I applaud Celebrity in making the progress they have.

Having said that, I do enjoy cigars. One of the experiences I have most enjoyed on past cruises are cigar lounges. In particular the Churchill Lounge on the QM2, and even the cigar lounges on the RCI Freedom class ships. The open air bars where they allow smoking on most ships are nice, but far too often they are very VERY windy.

Overall, I get it, and I don't disagree with the trend. But I sure do miss sitting in a nice big comfy leather chair with a cigar and a cognac!

How can you be an ex-smoker and enjoy cigars?

I for one can't stand the stink made by cigars - even when I was smoking.

I think the OP intended to say that he had given up cigarette smoking for cigar smoking. Agree with you that cigar smoke is really strong and many places that still allow indoor smoking do not allow cigar smoking. But pipe smoke is something else that, even as a non-smoker, I kind of enjoy. To each his own.

I would be horrified if Celebrity regressed and commenced permitting indoor smoking (of any kind) again. Fortunately I doubt it will happen; the trend everywhere is more, not less smoking restrictions and Celebrity's policy seems to be going over very well and other cruise lines are starting to follow Celebrity's lead. It is nice to see the cruise lines finally starting to catch up with typical smoking restrictions seen on land.

Overall, I get it, and I don't disagree with the trend. But I sure do miss sitting in a nice big comfy leather chair with a cigar and a cognac!

Buy a nice comfy leather chair so you can enjoy it every day, easy solution. Why do without? :D

I was simply selfishly lamenting. I would never want to see any of the current spaces defiled by the stench of cigar smoking. But I do enjoy those handful of ships with a small cigar lounge dedicated for that purpose. After all, I have never heard anyone on QM2 or the Freedom Class ships really complain about it, because they are both spaces specifically intended for that purpose. It's not like some of the bars and clubs that used to get so smoky, but were intended for other uses as well.

I don't expect any change, I was just kind of musing.

I don't smoke cigars and I no longer smoke cigarettes. But having a specific lounge for cigar smokers is completely reasonable. I don't have to go to it, those that don't smoke don't have to go to it, and those that want to enjoy a fine cigar and some brandy or cognac can go to it....not sure what the problem would be with that.

I don't smoke cigars and I no longer smoke cigarettes. But having a specific lounge for cigar smokers is completely reasonable. I don't have to go to it, those that don't smoke don't have to go to it, and those that want to enjoy a fine cigar and some brandy or cognac can go to it....not sure what the problem would be with that.

I think it's very unlikely to see this on any new builds. There is (justifiably) such a bias against smoking, that even if it was a small area dedicated to cigar smoking, I think there would be a backlash about space that could have been utilized otherwise.

I would be horrified if Celebrity regressed and commenced permitting indoor smoking (of any kind) again. Fortunately I doubt it will happen; the trend everywhere is more, not less smoking restrictions and Celebrity's policy seems to be going over very well and other cruise lines are starting to follow Celebrity's lead. It is nice to see the cruise lines finally starting to catch up with typical smoking restrictions seen on land.

Heck, even Russia is set to ban public smoking! Now that is certainly a defining sign of the changing times! http://themoscownews.com/society/20110815/188925743.html

I agree with this. In fact I would say that the fact that the designated place to smoke cigars at the bar at the aft of Millennium made it disagreeable for those of us who don't like cigar smoke. It was impossible for the smoke not to waft from one side to the other.

Surely they can make one room accessible for those who want to smoke cigars and thus contain the smoke within that area.

I agree with this. In fact I would say that the fact that the designated place to smoke cigars was at the bar at the aft of Millennium made it disagreeable for those of us who enjoyed that outside bar but don't like cigar smoke. It was impossible for the smoke not to waft from one side to the other.

Surely they can make one room accessible for those who want to smoke cigars and thus contain the smoke within that area.

I agree with this. In fact I would say that the fact that the designated place to smoke cigars at the bar at the aft of Millennium made it disagreeable for those of us who don't like cigar smoke. It was impossible for the smoke not to waft from one side to the other.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen areas like that before in restaurants and airports. They have a ventilation system and it keeps the smoke from going outside the area even when the door is open and closed. It seems to work very well.

I find that the majority of wives of cigar smokers won't allow them to smoke cigars in their own living rooms at home, but they don't mind going to stink up someone else's room. :rolleyes:

I do think the OP is speaking specifically of designated indoor room. As a cigar smoker, like most cigar smokers I know... I am very considerate of others and would never want to "stink up someone else's room."

Having a designated indoor lounge has added pleasure to my past cruises. With the elimination of most them... I must now enjoy the stars while I unwind in the wind. ;)

Happy cruising!

Kevin

As an ex-smoker, I am a huge advocate for limiting or eliminating smoking areas as much as possible. And I applaud Celebrity in making the progress they have.

Having said that, I do enjoy cigars. One of the experiences I have most enjoyed on past cruises are cigar lounges. In particular the Churchill Lounge on the QM2, and even the cigar lounges on the RCI Freedom class ships. The open air bars where they allow smoking on most ships are nice, but far too often they are very VERY windy.

Unfortunately, Cigarette/cigar/pipe smokers don't realize how their clothes smell (or should I say reek). Sitting in a cigar lounge smoking almost guarantees that when you step on to an elevator, everyone will be smelling that cigar....if you go to the dining room for dinner after a cigar, those at the table will smell your cigar through dinner.

I think everyone should be able to do what they want, to the extent it doesn't effect others.....however, there is no place to change into clean clothes before leaving the lounge....so for now, at least, I am happy that Celebrity has their current smoking policy.

Adventure of the Seas had a nice cigar lounge that I frequented several times while on a 7 day. Kind of in an out-of-the-way, unobtrusive location on deck 5. I would guess that most passengers didn't even know it was there.

Unfortunately, Cigarette/cigar/pipe smokers don't realize how their clothes smell (or should I say reek). Sitting in a cigar lounge smoking almost guarantees that when you step on to an elevator, everyone will be smelling that cigar....if you go to the dining room for dinner after a cigar, those at the table will smell your cigar through dinner.

I think everyone should be able to do what they want, to the extent it doesn't effect others.....however, there is no place to change into clean clothes before leaving the lounge....so for now, at least, I am happy that Celebrity has their current smoking policy.

I understand what you are saying but smell is very subjective. Someone's perfume can cause an allergic reaction or a passenger to have a migraine and yet, it is not banned. A person may have been out running on the track or exercising and then goes to use the elevator and an unfortunate soul winds up on the same car and has to smell the 'b.o.'. Or possibly folks are arriving back from a day in the tropics and are all sweaty and smelly too - yet they do not have to take a shower before re-boarding the ship.

Celebrity has chosen to not have indoor smoking and that is fine with me. But, if Celebrity does choose to have a designated area than that would be fine with me as well.

What a good post. I don't understand what people don't get about this.

What a good post. I don't understand what people don't get about this.

It is not what people "don't get" it is that it is a BAD idea:

1) It would negatively impact the health of staff who are assigned to work in such a venue.

2) There is no space designated for this currently, so a current venue would have to be closed down, renovated ($$$), and then be only useful to a very small percentage of Celebrity cruisers.

3) People using such a venue would be extremely malodorous afterwards and would be very unpleasant to be near to in public spaces once they left the cigar lounge until they showered and changed clothes.

This is not going to happen on Celebrity.

In case some of you did not take the time to read the original post. ;)

It is not what people "don't get" it is that it is a BAD idea:

1) It would negatively impact the health of staff who are assigned to work in such a venue.

2) There is no space designated for this currently, so a current venue would have to be closed down, renovated ($$$), and then be only useful to a very small percentage of Celebrity cruisers.

3) People using such a venue would be extremely malodorous afterwards and would be very unpleasant to be near to in public spaces once they left the cigar lounge until they showered and changed clothes.

This is not going to happen on Celebrity.

Yes, I realize that, and said so in some other posts. Was trying to keep that post simple. The bottom line is there is no profit in it for Celebrity, if there were all those other reasons wouldn't come into play. But other lines do it.

What I find malodorous is those folks that repeatedly wear the same clothing on a longer cruise in order to "save" on baggage fees. Whew, have that stuff laundered. Much more offensive that stale smoke. I think just like cigarette smokers they become unaware of it.

One thing I DON'T miss is getting onto an elevator with a cigar smoker just out of the smoking lounge stinking to high heaven so bad I actually come close to hurling up my dinner. :mad:

Please see post below . . .

There are also many people that wear too much perfume that can ruin your dinner or gag you out of the elevator.

As a non-smoker and one who baths rather than using cover-up aromas, I'm not sure there is any difference to fellow pax.

Archived