Carnival Triumph for sale?

KmomChicago

Hi, I recently heard a rumor outside of the Cruise Critic boards, that Carnival might be ready to sell the Triumph. There has been lots of speculation about the future of this ship, particularly whether it needs a Sunshine-type complete overhaul, but unfortunately the ship has a bit of a reputation that tarnishes its image and that it can't seem to live down.

Meanwhile, Horizon is just over the, well, Horizon, and Panorama should arrive next year, and then an even larger class coming as we get into the 2020's.

Has anyone else heard this? Or am I late to the party and she's been on the auction block for years? In which case I ask is it really cheaper to build new than do a really good refurb that passengers will appreciate?

Edited by KmomChicago

Highly unlikely. Have it confirmed from both the Alchemy staff in December and the head chef at the PD party that they had just received memo that she was going to be scheduled for a long dry dock and would be “sunshined”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She is scheduled for a major drydock before being repositioned from New Orleans to Norfolk, VA for several cruises then on to NYC. No formal announcements have been made yet about what's being done in her drydock but I wouldn't be surprised to see her being "sunshined".

Cherie Ganesh

Memphis, TN

She is scheduled for a major drydock before being repositioned from New Orleans to Norfolk, VA for several cruises then on to NYC. No formal announcements have been made yet about what's being done in her drydock but I wouldn't be surprised to see her being "sunshined".

Cherie Ganesh

Memphis, TN

What does being "Sunshined" mean?

I'm not aware of Carnival ever selling one of their ships...unless its being "retired" from its fleet.....Triumph is in the middle age of their 24 ships so she is going no where soon

The Fantasy has been for sale for a long time and has been listed. It's been posted on here several times.

The Fantasy has been for sale for a long time and has been listed. It's been posted on here several times.

That would make sense...Fantasy is the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet

Edited by lcpagejr

I have located more info with reason to believe Triumph is indeed for sale as well as the entire Fantasy class fleet. I believe they previously sold off most if not all of the ships they retired.

No question the ship needs a major Sunshine type refurbishment but if they get a contract sooner, who knows? In spite of her problems over the years, Triumph is an improvement on the Fantasy class layout. Just need to get $350 M together and she’s ours.

• 4 weeks later...
I have located more info with reason to believe Triumph is indeed for sale as well as the entire Fantasy class fleet. I believe they previously sold off most if not all of the ships they retired.

No question the ship needs a major Sunshine type refurbishment but if they get a contract sooner, who knows? In spite of her problems over the years, Triumph is an improvement on the Fantasy class layout. Just need to get $350 M together and she’s ours.

I just booked a cruise on the Triumph out of Norfolk, Va. to the Bahamas. We sail on October 20,2019. She goes to dry dock in March of 2019. Doesn't look like they're selling her.

I know after the Holiday was retired, it was up for sale. I haven't checked to see if it ever sold.

The Holiday is currently sailing as Magellan and doing mostly Northern Europe itineraries for Cruise and Maritime Voyages.

I just booked a cruise on the Triumph out of Norfolk, Va. to the Bahamas. We sail on October 20,2019. She goes to dry dock in March of 2019. Doesn't look like they're selling her.

If they're really "sunshining" Triumph, I wonder if that means they'll be renaming her as well. I'd expect that...especially given her tarnished history.

The Holiday is currently sailing as Magellan and doing mostly Northern Europe itineraries for Cruise and Maritime Voyages.

Magellan is actually up for sale again. CMV is asking for $55 Million.

Carnival CEO Arnold Donald says the company has a goal of retiring 1-2 ships per year across the entire portfolio of brands. For 2018 this appears to be Adonia, which will sail as Azamara Pursuit, and Pacific Eden, headed to CMV as Vasco de Gama.

We don’t really have any plans announced for any of the Carnival brands beyond 2022, but if Carnival Cruise Line gets a new ship every two years, I would expect some retirements to start happening by 2024 if not 2022. By passenger capacity, one Excellence-class ship is equal to two Fantasy-class vessels. I am more interested in seeing if Costa picks up a ship every second year as well, because Costa represents the one last opportunity for Carnival Cruise Line to pick up used ships from within the company.

For example, a retirement plan might look like this:

2022 - Carnival Imagination (built 1995) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Dawn (built 1991); Carnival Elation to Long Beach

2023 - Costa Atlantica (Spirit Class, built 2000) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Fantasy (built 1990) sold

2024 - Carnival Inspiration (built 1996) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Jewel (built 1991); Carnival Paradise to Long Beach

2025 - Costa Mediterranea (Spirit Class, built 2003) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Ecstasy (built 1991) sold

2026 - Carnival Elation (built 1998) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Aria (built 1994); Carnival Conquest (built 2002) to Long Beach

2027 - Costa Fortuna (Triumph Class, built 2003) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Sensation (built 1993) sold

2028 - Carnival Paradise (built 1998) to P&O Australia to replace former Carnival Imagination (built 1995); Carnival Glory (built 2003) to Long Beach

2029 - Costa Luminosa (Spirit Class hybrid, built 2009) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Fascination (built 1994) sold; Costa Deliziosa (built 2010) to P&O Australia to replace former Carnival Inspiration (built 1996)

2030 - Carnival Sunshine (built 1996) sold, replaced by newbuild;

2031 - Costa Diadema (Dream class, built 2014) to Carnival Cruise Line to replace Carnival Triumph (built 1999)

2032 - Carnival Victory (built 2000) sold, replaced by newbuild

Magellan is actually up for sale again. CMV is asking for $55 Million.

Carnival CEO Arnold Donald says the company has a goal of retiring 1-2 ships per year across the entire portfolio of brands. For 2018 this appears to be Adonia, which will sail as Azamara Pursuit, and Pacific Eden, headed to CMV as Vasco de Gama.

We don’t really have any plans announced for any of the Carnival brands beyond 2022, but if Carnival Cruise Line gets a new ship every two years, I would expect some retirements to start happening by 2024 if not 2022. By passenger capacity, one Excellence-class ship is equal to two Fantasy-class vessels. I am more interested in seeing if Costa picks up a ship every second year as well, because Costa represents the one last opportunity for Carnival Cruise Line to pick up used ships from within the company.

For example, a retirement plan might look like this:

2022 - Carnival Imagination (built 1995) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Dawn (built 1991); Carnival Elation to Long Beach

2023 - Costa Atlantica (Spirit Class, built 2000) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Fantasy (built 1990) sold

2024 - Carnival Inspiration (built 1996) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Jewel (built 1991); Carnival Paradise to Long Beach

2025 - Costa Mediterranea (Spirit Class, built 2003) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Ecstasy (built 1991) sold

2026 - Carnival Elation (built 1998) to P&O Australia to replace Pacific Aria (built 1994); Carnival Conquest (built 2002) to Long Beach

2027 - Costa Fortuna (Triumph Class, built 2003) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Sensation (built 1993) sold

2028 - Carnival Paradise (built 1998) to P&O Australia to replace former Carnival Imagination (built 1995); Carnival Glory (built 2003) to Long Beach

2029 - Costa Luminosa (Spirit Class hybrid, built 2009) to Carnival Cruise Line; Carnival Fascination (built 1994) sold; Costa Deliziosa (built 2010) to P&O Australia to replace former Carnival Inspiration (built 1996)

2030 - Carnival Sunshine (built 1996) sold, replaced by newbuild;

2031 - Costa Diadema (Dream class, built 2014) to Carnival Cruise Line to replace Carnival Triumph (built 1999)

2032 - Carnival Victory (built 2000) sold, replaced by newbuild

Interesting to see that they may bring the "Spirit" class ships from Costa to CCL. A lot of folks here on CC have been wanting more of that class of ship in the CCL inventory.

Interesting to see that they may bring the "Spirit" class ships from Costa to CCL. A lot of folks here on CC have been wanting more of that class of ship in the CCL inventory.

Remember that was just a hypothetical example - this could easily go the other way:

2022 - First XL ship (5,200 capacity at double occupancy) replaces Carnival Victory (2,764) and Carnival Fantasy (2,056); Carnival Sensation moves from Miami to Mobile

2024 - Second XL ship (5,200) replaces Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration (each at 2,056)

Just in those two moves alone there are no routes being cut, just a consolidation of itineraries. It gets harder to further consolidate the fleet due to height restrictions in Tampa, but if a third XL ship could go there, Carnival could still increase passenger capacity by about 3% while having 3 fewer ships.

Remember that was just a hypothetical example - this could easily go the other way:

2022 - First XL ship (5,200 capacity at double occupancy) replaces Carnival Victory (2,764) and Carnival Fantasy (2,056); Carnival Sensation moves from Miami to Mobile

2024 - Second XL ship (5,200) replaces Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration (each at 2,056)

Just in those two moves alone there are no routes being cut, just a consolidation of itineraries. It gets harder to further consolidate the fleet due to height restrictions in Tampa, but if a third XL ship could go there, Carnival could still increase passenger capacity by about 3% while having 3 fewer ships.

Understood. It's interesting nonetheless to consider the possibilities of more Spirit class ships for CCL. As to Tampa and an XL ship, I'm not sure where it would dock in Tampa unless the long speculated port outside the Sunshine Skyway would actually be built or a reconstruction of the Skyway bridge be planned which would accommodate taller ships. I know, it's all speculation at this point. ;)