Eat more to lose weight

Shaver John

I was on a cruise and I saw this "Eat more to lose weight" class in the gym area. Has anyone ever gone to this class and what are they selling? I assume that is what is going on, but maybe I am wrong. Want to see if it is worth going to on my next cruise in Sept.

Don't waste your time and money on these lectures. They are typically a bunch of pseudo-science which adds up to total garbage. I have done a couple of them, I honestly don't remember if this is one that I attended. I really wanted to see what snake oil they were selling.

Its a high protein diet and low carb diet like Atkins. I lost a LOT of weigh in two years I went from a 52 down to a 44 . I ate almost all I wanted to BUT low carbs cheated once a week.

Its amazing how people say something about things they know nothing about . Yes some things are not what you want but some are . I never say to people do not go just have to make up your own mind . Please post here and have no idea

Its amazing how people say something about things they know nothing about . Yes some things are not what you want but some are . I never say to people do not go just have to make up your own mind . Please post here and have no idea

I find it interesting that you assume that people don't know what they are talking about. I have completed 11 years of post graduate education in science and medicine, and have worked in both clinical and research medicine. In addition, I dropped 90 pounds over the course of a year on a lean protein/low carb diet. You don't need lectures, protein powders or liquids or other "products" to do this; anyone who can identify what is a carb and what is a lean protein can be quite successful on this sort of a food plan.

And I stand by my statement that the lectures I've attended on ships have been a curious blend of scientific terms with inaccurate interpretations and implications.

I find it interesting that you assume that people don't know what they are talking about. I have completed 11 years of post graduate education in science and medicine' date=' and have worked in both clinical and research medicine. In addition, I dropped 90 pounds over the course of a year on a lean protein/low carb diet. You don't need lectures, protein powders or liquids or other "products" to do this; anyone who can identify what is a carb and what is a lean protein can be quite successful on this sort of a food plan.

And I stand by my statement that the lectures I've attended on ships have been a curious blend of scientific terms with inaccurate interpretations and implications.[/quote']

I perfected a diet that I refer to as the "All Lenny Diet." I do not eat junk food .I do not eat between meals . I start my day with a cub of boiled water with the juice of a lemon followed by 2 slices of toasted spelt bread with 2 tablespoons of almond butter followed by a cup of decaffinated herbal tea. My lunch is 23 roasted almonds ,a slice of muenster cheese ,fresh berries and a glass of water . Dinner is either beef or chicken .

I began this diet in August 2015 and have lost 54 pounds .

I am 6'5 and weigh 185.

I was on a cruise and I saw this "Eat more to lose weight" class in the gym area. Has anyone ever gone to this class and what are they selling? I assume that is what is going on, but maybe I am wrong. Want to see if it is worth going to on my next cruise in Sept.

I want to sell you a bridge.;p

There was a great typo in the Patter and on the Princess@Sea listing on our Hawaii and South Pacific cruise last year. For about a week they were advertising the class Secrets to a Fatter Stomach. It was, of course, supposed to say Flatter stomach. The CD tried to get it fixed but it just kept showing up as Fatter. We loved it.

There was a great typo in the Patter and on the Princess@Sea listing on our Hawaii and South Pacific cruise last year. For about a week they were advertising the class Secrets to a Fatter Stomach. It was, of course, supposed to say Flatter stomach. The CD tried to get it fixed but it just kept showing up as Fatter. We loved it.

That's about as good as the "brown boobies" on our first Panama crossing. The captain was doing his noon announcement and suggested that we could see lots of these from the pool deck. Obviously, English was not his first language, and this truly is the name of a bird. I don't think anyone on board thought about bird watching. Then one of the comedians put it into his act and....it was the joke of the cruise.

Eat nothing but meat, eggs, green salads - all you want. Stay away from bread, pasta, fruit, desserts. You can have a hamburger but ditch the bun. No french fries, potatoes, starchy food. Basically lo carb it and you will lose weight on the cruise. I never gain eating that way. Keep moving and take the stairs.

I find it interesting that you assume that people don't know what they are talking about. I have completed 11 years of post graduate education in science and medicine' date=' and have worked in both clinical and research medicine. In addition, I dropped 90 pounds over the course of a year on a lean protein/low carb diet. You don't need lectures, protein powders or liquids or other "products" to do this; anyone who can identify what is a carb and what is a lean protein can be quite successful on this sort of a food plan.

And I stand by my statement that the lectures I've attended on ships have been a curious blend of scientific terms with inaccurate interpretations and implications.[/quote']

Exactly! Dr. Atkins is still alive and kicking! As a matter of fact, we do not need carbohydrates at all. If you're over weight, burn the fat you already have instead of taking in carbs to fuel it. What you don't burn up, your body stores it as fat. Force your body to burn the fat and you will lose weight.

We lost weight on our last 10-day cruise, even though we ate like... well, cruisers. Husband made us take the stairs the whole time (except formal nights in heels.) I had to sometimes catch my breath between some floors on the way up, but I was amazed at how just doing that staved off our usual weight gain.

Its a high protein diet and low carb diet like Atkins. I lost a LOT of weigh in two years I went from a 52 down to a 44 . I ate almost all I wanted to BUT low carbs cheated once a week.

I have been to the sales pitch and thought it was non sensical. Someone asked for my opinion and I gave it. Feel free to disregard it.

I went to this sales pitch eyes wide open one cruise on a sea day. It was all I imagined it would be in that they were selling a weight loss regimen for after we disembarked. Whether it actually worked or not I have no idea but left when they started signing up pax. I don't think I will be so bored to go to another one in the future.

Question for the ones who go with the low carb diets. What do you eat when you want say a burger, slice of pizza and or a piece of cake? Or do you just skip these items in general. And just stick with proteins completely.

Question for the ones who go with the low carb diets. What do you eat when you want say a burger, slice of pizza and or a piece of cake? Or do you just skip these items in general. And just stick with proteins completely.
Depends on what plan you are using. Some are no carb, some are low carb. But in general, ditch the bun and use lettuce on a burger, thin crust or alternate crust pizza, (but you have to know the nutrition info and your plan rules) and no to cake (but there are protein bars if you need a chocolate or sweet fix).

All diets are bizarre. It's calories people. I once went on an almost all carb diet. I lived mostly on rice and noodles. I lost 60 lbs. Seriously. People told me "you can't lose weight if you eat carbs" but they were full of baloney. It's all about calories in and calories out. Everything else is "fashion". Eat small portions and get enough exercise and it really won't matter much what you eat. Whether you are eating "healthy" or not is another thing but, as far as weight loss, it's all about calories in and out.

I would love to ask you a question, being you have a medical background. Are there any side effects on your body eating a high protein diet?

I would love to ask you a question, being you have a medical background. Are there any side effects on your body eating a high protein diet?

I can't give medical advice on a web site like this one. What I will tell you is that most of the things people worried about initially have not been shown to be valid in otherwise healthy people. For instance, there was a concern that increased protein could be factor in kidney disease; this has been shown only in people with previously decreased kidney function. People worried that it could cause diabetes; in reality the weight loss improved type 2 diabetes management. If you eat high fatty proteins, the excess fat in the diet could hypothetically be a problem.

The side effects most commonly are constipation (from lack of fiber in the diet) and regaining the weight when you revert to your original eating plan. Is it a healthy, long term diet? It depends on whether you also incorporate vegetables (which will help with the constipation as well), whether you take a good vitamin and mineral supplement, consume adequate water....you know, all the standard thoughts while on any diet.

For me, it isn't a long term thing. It was a good way to lose a lot of weight rather quickly and keep most of it off for an extended period. I wasn't hungry, which made it easier to eat less. As someone noted above, for weight loss, it is calories in, calories out that count. It doesn't matter whether you count calories, points, or whatever. And remember that any food you eat can be converted to fat in your body if eaten to excess. The idea is to eat fewer calories than your body needs, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy. Overall, I eat more healthy than I did before the weight loss; I also exercise more and am able to do more. But over the years, some of those pounds have crept back on and I need to make a concerted effort to take off about 20! I find that concentrating on lean proteins and reducing carbs works for me...but I don't go "nuts" about it. If I'm hungry, I figure out what protein food I have available and reject the idea of carb heavy foods. I keep easy to eat proteins in the fridge.

Again, this is intended as a discussion of what works for me and not intended as medical advice for anyone. Please consult your doctor if you have questions as to what sort of weight loss program is safe for you.

They are pitching diet supplements from the vendor.

Go if you have time to kill.

Enjoy your cruise.

King