Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

They say the trick is to float, not tread water or swim.

Exactly. Swimming/treading water would definitely exhaust someone quickly, but it's entirely unnecessary. You practice floating techniques. And as others have noted earlier in this thread - as a flight attendant, she surely would have received training in water survival.

Don't get me wrong - she was definitely in serious jeopardy of death. While hypothermia was not likely to kick in for many more hours, dehydration was probably her next biggest threat. But she was rescued before that would have killed her as well. Someone who is in reasonable shape and adrift in ideal weather conditions (which she was) can survive 3 to 5 days without water.

Bottom line: she literally had THE most favorable conditions for someone to be rescued after falling/jumping off a cruise ship. So that's really the biggest miracle here. Had they chosen a different destination for their cruise - say, the North Atlantic - and she'd done the same thing, we likely would not be having this conversation as she never would have been found.

Still apparently doing the air hostess bit (for now anyway) but not with Virgin - doing it on small business jets according to reports.

Ah yes - sorry - I did see pictures of her doing the private business jet hostess role.

Also agree that we may never see the footage but there will be some form of enquiry and I agree that NCL will want to demonstrate no negligence on their part - so probably a statement detailing what happened.

Interesting too that the lady has declined to make any statement - that comes across as "weird"? Watch that space I guess

It’s one through my bank. (I think it’s underwritten by axa but the terms don’t match the standard axa terms) I had to claim last year for a delayed return to port and missed flight hence I know it pays upto £5000 per person for the added return flight (minus £40 excess!) had no problems claiming either...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it a uk bank?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is precedence for a cruise line to make a public statement about an overboard incident, particularly if there's any controversy or suspected malfeasance involved. Also, it's probably in NCL's best interest to publicize it if she jumped, as opposed to fell, if only to ensure that potential cruisers won't be afraid to cruise for fear that it's easy to "fall off" this ship.

I too highly doubt that they will publicly release actual video or photos, especially if any legal actions or insurance claims result. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they issued some kind of press release after the investigation is complete, to get the word out that there was no culpability on NCL's part, and ensure everyone that their ship is safe.

Whilst the matter has pending litigation, there is absolutely no reason for NCL to make any type of public statement. NCL has the video. The authorities have the video. No one else needs the video.

Whilst the matter has pending litigation, there is absolutely no reason for NCL to make any type of public statement. NCL has the video. The authorities have the video. No one else needs the video.

I don't think they'll make a public statement unless there is more controversy. Someone going over the rail happens more than once a month and we only hear about a few of them.

NCL probably has to file a report with someone like the Croatian Coast Guard, some international maritime regulatory group, or the ship's registry country. In a couple of years that report could become public and people will know what NCL says about it. But an official press-release type of thing? Not unless the President starts tweeting about it.

Contact NCL? I’m very surprised insurance wouldn’t cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance may or may not cover it depending on fine prints. There is no standardization on trip interruption clauses. Normally, trip interruption will be applicable as ship arrived late.

In the mentioned case, it says "Gold Visa" which is usually a freebie benefit, very different from proper travel insurance.

BTW, if my airline was flying once a week from Venice, I would not make stupidity of not allowing buffer of at least dozen hours (NCL Star has been this much late getting into Venice more than once, just this year alone)

There is usually a "return air only" benefit with amount capped at 500 or 750 or 1000 or 1500 in case of trip interruption.

Edited by hal2008

Someone going over the rail happens more than once a month and we only hear about a few

Where the hell did you get this info??? I have worked on ships for YEARS without anyone going overboard. This is a really ill-informed (trust me, I had other words!) statement to make. Go check your FACTS!

Exactly. Swimming/treading water would definitely exhaust someone quickly, but it's entirely unnecessary. You practice floating techniques. And as others have noted earlier in this thread - as a flight attendant, she surely would have received training in water survival.

Don't get me wrong - she was definitely in serious jeopardy of death. While hypothermia was not likely to kick in for many more hours, dehydration was probably her next biggest threat. But she was rescued before that would have killed her as well. Someone who is in reasonable shape and adrift in ideal weather conditions (which she was) can survive 3 to 5 days without water.

Bottom line: she literally had THE most favorable conditions for someone to be rescued after falling/jumping off a cruise ship. So that's really the biggest miracle here. Had they chosen a different destination for their cruise - say, the North Atlantic - and she'd done the same thing, we likely would not be having this conversation as she never would have been found.

I checked the current water temps in the Adriatic where this happened, and it is 62-66*F, not exactly bath water warm. Standard hypothermia tables give a time to exhaustion/unconsciousness at this temperature of 2-7 hours, and a survival time of 2-36 hours. The ranges are based on physical condition, alcohol level, and clothing. The problem beyond the exhaustion/unconscious stage is the inability to keep from inhaling/swallowing sea water. So, hypothermia would have been more of a threat than dehydration. Also, osmosis can lead to more rapid dehydration as the water in your skin tries to dilute the salt content of the sea water to the same as the body's salt content. This effect, of course, varies with the salinity of the water the person is in.

Bottom line, the person is very lucky to have survived that long.

I was on the Star for this. I find it funny NCL has not communicated anything with us other than a automated post cruise survey.

I don't blame NCL for this drama queen jumping overboard. I guess she showed her boyfriend. It would have been nice if they offered us more than 15 minutes of free internet to make other arrangements. 15 minutes of free internet is basically enough time to send 2 emails with the slow speeds you find on ship. Their response for those of us onboard was inadequate in that regard. They made things "available" like the conference rooms to make calls but there were so many people it was a joke. They had a system where they assigned group numbers to access the phones and I believe they got up to group 6 (and there were around 20 groups total).

I'm personally grateful that I only lost about $300 in train tickets to our next destination. There were many people having to book tickets back to the US for Monday/Tuesday at $2000 each.

How the captain and ship handled the search and rescue seemed top notch. Very respectful dialogue. Attitude was very somber on the ship and everyone felt bad when we assumed a life was lost. I'm glad she survived but I hope she gets locked up in a croatian jail for awhile personally because this is a criminal act.

Edited by Scoreboard2017
finish thought

Where the hell did you get this info??? I have worked on ships for YEARS without anyone going overboard. This is a really ill-informed (trust me, I had other words!) statement to make. Go check your FACTS!

Calm down. Your aggression is misplaced, and you could have simply done a Google search to check before blasting me.

See this link. Or this link. Or any of the numerous other news reports a Google search away.

There have been about 300 reported overboard incidents from cruise liners in the 18 years since the year 2000. That's just over 16 a year, or exactly the FACT I stated ... more than one a month.

Calm down. Your aggression is misplaced, and you could have simply done a Google search to check before blasting me.

See this link. Or this link. Or any of the numerous other news reports a Google search away.

There have been about 300 reported overboard incidents from cruise liners in the 18 years since the year 2000. That's just over 16 a year, or exactly the FACT I stated ... more than one a month.

The 300 incidents includes ferries as well as cruise lines. Those statistics also include crew, not just passengers. Even using that inflated total, the links cite 20 million passengers per year. That means that one out of 1.25 million "people on cruise ships" goes overboard.

The odds of being struck by lightning in the US are 1 out of 700,000 per year.

The National Geographic article had the sentence -

Overboard incidents are most commonly reckless or deliberate accidents induced by drunkenness.

Whilst I can accept the point about drunkenness, what is a ‘deliberate accident’ - surely an oxymoron.

You can have an accidental outcome as the result of a deliberate action - like a drunken "I'm king of the world" on the railing, or trying to climb from one balcony to another, as opposed to slipping on a banana peel or massive wave hit and being unintentionally pushed over a railing with no intention to put yourself at risk.

But I cancelled my NG subscription years ago.

I'm personally grateful that I only lost about $300 in train tickets to our next destination. There were many people having to book tickets back to the US for Monday/Tuesday at $2000 each.

And realistically there's no recourse for this. If you have no travel insurance (or it doesn't cover it), you're out the money. If you have travel insurance, costs like this - incurred by someone else's negligence - get charged for in higher rates.

The jumper isn't going to pay for it. "Sorry about that, I was having a bad moment and I only have $300 to my name."

The 300 incidents includes ferries as well as cruise lines. Those statistics also include crew, not just passengers. Even using that inflated total, the links cite 20 million passengers per year. That means that one out of 1.25 million "people on cruise ships" goes overboard.

The odds of being struck by lightning in the US are 1 out of 700,000 per year.

*Sigh*. I looked at the original source cited in one of the articles and the number is actually from 2006 - 2017 and is 319 total, and that number includes 71 that are passenger ferries. That's 248 overboard incidents on cruise ships in 11 years, or an average of 22.54545454545455 per year.

So every time one of you says "well, actually ..." in your Cliffy voice from Cheers, the better my original statement looks. Here's what I actually said:

I don't think they'll make a public statement unless there is more controversy. Someone going over the rail happens more than once a month and we only hear about a few of them.

So yeah. I stand by that statement.

*Sigh*. I looked at the original source cited in one of the articles and the number is actually from 2006 - 2017 and is 319 total, and that number includes 71 that are passenger ferries. That's 248 overboard incidents on cruise ships in 11 years, or an average of 22.54545454545455 per year.

So yeah. I stand by that statement.

You should have read the data a bit more carefully. The totals you are directing us to are from 2000 to 2018. That's 18 years. Just add up the Cunard numbers, they're pretty low.

2000 - 2005 : 3

2006: 1

2015: 1

2016: 1

Total 6. Over 18 years, not 11.

Whatever your point is, you've lost it between your misstated stats and defensiveness. Going overboard is more rare than being struck by lightning.