Arriving in Rome for a Med Cruise

CPBoyce

Newbie cruiser here wanting some guidance from you all. We are looking to arrive early morning on embarkation day to avoid an overnight in Rome (we will be spending a few days in Rome at the end of the cruise). Is this practical? Is the embarkation process pretty smooth? How long does it take in Rome?

Firstly, you do not embark in Rome. You have to travel to Civitavecchia which is about 90 minutes away by train or private car. Arriving on embarkation day is risky. Much better if you do your Rome stay prior to the cruise or arrive at least the night before your cruise. However, if you are willing to take the risk its very doable. Just Google Rome Cabs or goto Trip Adviser and pick one of the many companies providing transfers from the airport to Civi. Somebody will advise whether HAL provide a shuttle service from the airport.

Newbie cruiser here wanting some guidance from you all. We are looking to arrive early morning on embarkation day to avoid an overnight in Rome (we will be spending a few days in Rome at the end of the cruise). Is this practical? Is the embarkation process pretty smooth? How long does it take in Rome?

We are planning to arrive the morning of our trip in October about 7:30 am. I've arranged a HAL transfer from the airport to the cruise port, cost $68 pp. The ship doesn't leave until 6:00 pm. I figured got the time.

Driving between FCO and the Port at Civitavecchia takes about 1 hour (we have done it in about 55 min). We do agree that flying-in on an International Flight the day of a cruise is somewhat risky. The problem is that flights do get canceled or delayed. However, if one has a "Plan B" to catch up to a ship in its first port then the risk might be acceptable to most folks.

FCO is not my favorite airport. Expect to spend about an hour (or longer) just getting through the airport, immigration, and retrieving your luggage. Getting to the Port best done via vehicle since using the trains involves changing trains (and handling your own luggage). And once you arrive at Civitavecchia's train station (where you might have to haul your own luggage up and down steep steps since there is no elevator) you will need to either use 2 buses to get to the pier or find a taxi (not always easy).

From FCO you can simply hire a taxi or pre-book transfers. We recommend pre booking with Romecabs.com and many others like Romeinlimo.com. You can also check with HAL about their own transfers, but we have found that private transfers do not cost much more money and avoid what can be a lengthy wait when using cruise line transfers. Once at the port, embarkation is a relatively painless process.

Hank

Driving between FCO and the Port at Civitavecchia takes about 1 hour (we have done it in about 55 min). We do agree that flying-in on an International Flight the day of a cruise is somewhat risky. The problem is that flights do get canceled or delayed. However, if one has a "Plan B" to catch up to a ship in its first port then the risk might be acceptable to most folks.

FCO is not my favorite airport. Expect to spend about an hour (or longer) just getting through the airport, immigration, and retrieving your luggage. Getting to the Port best done via vehicle since using the trains involves changing trains (and handling your own luggage). And once you arrive at Civitavecchia's train station (where you might have to haul your own luggage up and down steep steps since there is no elevator) you will need to either use 2 buses to get to the pier or find a taxi (not always easy).

From FCO you can simply hire a taxi or pre-book transfers. We recommend pre booking with Romecabs.com and many others like Romeinlimo.com. You can also check with HAL about their own transfers, but we have found that private transfers do not cost much more money and avoid what can be a lengthy wait when using cruise line transfers. Once at the port, embarkation is a relatively painless process.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. This puts me more at ease. I had planned on the HAL shuttle but the pre-booked limo sounds like a better choice.

We are planning to arrive the morning of our trip in October about 7:30 am. I've arranged a HAL transfer from the airport to the cruise port, cost $68 pp. The ship doesn't leave until 6:00 pm. I figured got the time.

Thanks! I hope I can get in that early but since I'm flying from Seattle, if we get in before 10 am I'll be happy.

I would arrive the day before.

You do not mention what time of year you will be traveling, and whether you have any connecting flights. And if you do have a connection, is it in Europe.

Weather and connections are factirs out of your control. Some airports are notorious for connection problems.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. But take the stress of yourself and fly in a day early.

For long flights to starting ports we fly in a couple of days in advance. Otherwise you walk on the ship sleep deprived and jet lagged. Not a good way to start an expensive cruise, which is very port intensive.

Rome will never be a city we seek to avoid. It is a fantastic city, one of the great ones in the world.

May I suggest that you arrive a day early and stay at a hotel in Civitavecchia for one night pre cruise. We stayed at Hotel San Giorgio and they picked us up at the airport and took us directly to their hotel. Very nice, quaint hotel extremely close to the cruise terminal. They also provided transfers to the ship the next morning. They are permitted to enter the cruise terminal area and dropped us right at the door with our luggage. I would never trust any airline to get me to Europe to start a cruise the day of embarkation. Way too many variables. We would never consider less than two days, but that's just us.

Thank you all for your feedback. Being an anal personality type, my instinct is always to get there early just in case. For this trip, however, I'm weighing a day's extra expenses against the chance the flights would be screwed up. Since the first day of the cruise next May is a sea day, I'm inclined to gamble and poop out on the ship before the first port.

May I suggest that you arrive a day early and stay at a hotel in Civitavecchia for one night pre cruise. We stayed at Hotel San Giorgio and they picked us up at the airport and took us directly to their hotel. Very nice, quaint hotel extremely close to the cruise terminal. They also provided transfers to the ship the next morning. They are permitted to enter the cruise terminal area and dropped us right at the door with our luggage. I would never trust any airline to get me to Europe to start a cruise the day of embarkation. Way too many variables. We would never consider less than two days, but that's just us.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lady Arwen. If we do decide in the end to arrive a day early, this is the way to go.

Thank you all for your feedback. Being an anal personality type, my instinct is always to get there early just in case. For this trip, however, I'm weighing a day's extra expenses against the chance the flights would be screwed up. Since the first day of the cruise next May is a sea day, I'm inclined to gamble and poop out on the ship before the first port.

You also need to weigh the cost of catching up with the ship, should you miss it. Bet that costs more than one night in Civi, as it will be two nights, plus travel.

I'm weighing a day's extra expenses against the chance the flights would be screwed up.

How much are you spending to go all the way to Europe from Washington State?

My 2-cents - go a day early! Why gamble especially if this is your first time in Europe?

The advice of spending an ovenight at the port seems sound to me if you don't want to spend the day in Rome.

This past September we wanted to do just what you are wanting to do, as we'd been to Rome many times and just wanted to get to the ship. What we ended up doing was booking our flights through Holland America, so they "hold the ship" if you are late. We found that with their group buying power, the flights were about what we'd pay anyhow, and we saved money by not having an overnight in Rome. So with a HAL flight and a HAL transfer, which went very smoothly for our morning arrival in Rome, we were at the ship on time and ready to go -- and

with no worries.

On the HAL website, you can "manage your booking" and play around with looking for flights. There's an option there for pre- and post-cruise travel arrangements.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Thanks for the recommendation, Lady Arwen. If we do decide in the end to arrive a day early, this is the way to go.
If you decide to do this please let me know and I can share our experience with you (all very, very good). I can't imagine trying to do it the day of the cruise. Your only extra expense would be about $200.00 for the hotel room in Civi (huge buffet breakfast is included) and your dinner the night before for about 10 Euro per person. Such a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Wow. I am nervous for you! Is there any way you could switch your plans and have the few days in Rome pre-cruise instead of post? It not only gives you breathing room in case of delays but it also allows for adjustment to the time change.

This past September we wanted to do just what you are wanting to do, as we'd been to Rome many times and just wanted to get to the ship. What we ended up doing was booking our flights through Holland America, so they "hold the ship" if you are late. We found that with their group buying power, the flights were about what we'd pay anyhow, and we saved money by not having an overnight in Rome. So with a HAL flight and a HAL transfer, which went very smoothly for our morning arrival in Rome, we were at the ship on time and ready to go -- and

with no worries.

On the HAL website, you can "manage your booking" and play around with looking for flights. There's an option there for pre- and post-cruise travel arrangements.

Actually, they don't "hold the ship" for you except for a short time. In the event that the ship has to set sail without you HAL Flight Ease will arrange for you to get to your next port and make hotel arrangements for you if necessary. So, yes, HAL helps you out, but you still miss part of your cruise and have to go through the stress of missing the ship and catching up. For a very small amount of money for a hotel (either in Civi or Rome) you can have peace of mind that you will be on the ship on embarkation day!

HAL Flight Ease might be an alternative for same day arrival. Pricing is good for TA air and no worries about missing the ship: HAL will take care of it.

No worry about missing the ship? That is bogus. All they offer is to help you catch up with the ship.

No one can assure you will make it to the ship flying in the day of sailing. If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale...On the other hand, you can mitigate the risks by flying in the day, or multiple days, early. HAL will help with that option as well.

I would suggest you be very careful of taxis in Rome. We are very well traveled (I worked for an international airline for 30 years) and Rome was the one place we got ripped off by a taxi. It was not too long after they went on the Euro. We arrived in Rome early a.m., very tired as we came from the West Coast. This taxi (or so he claimed) was very friendly and said "I'll get you to the hotel quickly," I had an idea of what it should have run from researching here and the amount he gave us seemed very high. I wanted to "discuss" it with him but my husband was too tired and said "let's go- I'll just pay him." He did get us to the hotel however he turned on the night meter and overcharged us substantially. He then gave us incorrect change (first time we'd seen the Euro). I would use the boards here to pre-book a reputable company or use the HAL transfer. It didn't ruin our trip as we have learned to "go with the flow" but it sure made me careful on transfers.

It’s interesting that you are a self confessed newbie to cruiseing yet you appear to be resisting the very advice you sought. Those who have replied collectively have thousands of days at sea, something to think about.

I would have to agree- again, 30 years in the airline biz taught me to always go to the port a day early. Even if you stay at the airport versus downtown Rome-- it's just always better to go in a day early. You want to get on the cruise well rested and trust me- overnight flights are tough to get any rest on!

Actually, they don't "hold the ship" for you except for a short time. In the event that the ship has to set sail without you HAL Flight Ease will arrange for you to get to your next port and make hotel arrangements for you if necessary. So, yes, HAL helps you out, but you still miss part of your cruise and have to go through the stress of missing the ship and catching up. For a very small amount of money for a hotel (either in Civi or Rome) you can have peace of mind that you will be on the ship on embarkation day!

Well, of course you are being more accurate. I'm envisioning a slight flight delay or something like that.

But seriously, we are very experienced travelers. Coming in same day was a real first for us, and I wouldn't have done it had I booked flights on my own. Too risky. But for our plans, we had a very long Med cruise planned and wanted to get over the jet lag onboard ship, rather than stumbling around Rome dead tired on arrival. We spent time in Rome later in our cruise itinerary.

Advice to the OP that we can probably all agree on is that a same day arrival in Rome, traveling independently, would be a real nail-biter, as the port is so far from Rome. For that, one would need to be prepared and willing to meet the ship at the next port, if need be.

with no worries.

It does help, thanks for chiming in with your experience on the other side.