Medical Evacuation Coverage

I'm trying to price insurance and determine what is needed for good medical evacuation coverage. I'm comparing two quotes, and one would provide 500k and the other is for 1 million. Now while I hope I never have to find out what a medical evacuation costs, I don't know the going rate. This would be coverage for a Caribbean cruise, if that helps any. All other benefits of the plans set aside, do you think the 500k would provide enough coverage? A 500k difference in coverage is the difference of only about $44 total between the two plans, but I thought I'd ask to be more informed.

Thanks! :)

Are all the other coverages equal? I don't know, but if you need a private evacuation jet, it would be pretty pricey. If you're concerned enough, for $44 you get double the coverage, if needed, it'll be the best $44 you ever spent. If not needed (most likely), well, it's one day's drink package. I would also read the fine print of both policies, and see what your normal insurance covers.

Are all the other coverages equal? I don't know, but if you need a private evacuation jet, it would be pretty pricey. If you're concerned enough, for $44 you get double the coverage, if needed, it'll be the best $44 you ever spent. If not needed (most likely), well, it's one day's drink package. I would also read the fine print of both policies, and see what your normal insurance covers.

GREAT advice!

Be sure and ask if any medical evacuation is needed what your up front cost will be. Speaking from personal experience last August. Are you required to provide the cost out of pocket then get reimbursed by your main insurance also check with your Main Insurance to see if they cover medivac. We had a second Insurance and ended up having to go through our main coverage, united Health Care to get my husband home. it was at no cost to me, other wise I was asked to pay $40,000 before the other company would even come.

I don't know what is best for you, but I have an annual medical coverage with transportation and it is $500.00 per year for both of us. ($250 a person). Honestly, it is only for the transportation part. The medical part, I have insurance (yes, it works out of the country).

The cost our Insurance paid to bring my husband home from ST Johns Newfoundland to Calif was $58,000 ( 4300 + miles ) I didn't even have a Co Pay. The cost alone for his medical on board ( heart attack with support for the one night was $12,032.58 which went on my Visa and Insurance sent me a check to pay off.

Have you looked at Medijet Assist . They sell an annual plan that will medivac you home from anywhere in the world to a hospital of your choice.

Just be careful, while great for repatriating you back home this will not cover an evacuation from the ship. So this would be a great supplemental policy.

My father was hurt during our trip on the Allure. In a conversation with our genie, she mentioned that one of her clients had to be airlifted off and that it cost them $50,000 dollars for the airlift.

Unless this was a case where the patient requested the airlift against the decision of the ship's doctor, I have never heard of anyone being charged for a medevac from a ship. The national agencies around the world that perform search and rescue operations (under which the medevac is handled), do this for no charge. Even some countries which have privatized their SAR functions, provide the service to the patient free of charge. The only time I can think that this would be the case, would be if the patient hired a medevac helicopter privately, and then there would be the question of the training of the flight crew in landing or winching a patient off a ship, and whether the Captain, in consultation with the doctor and corporate, would permit this to happen, as this could be a serious insurance liability.

Also check out GeoBlue. Reasonably priced and they have just about every option you can think of, including single trip and yearly policies, pre-existing conditions coverage, choice of deductible and coverage amounts, etc. Their policies cover both medical and medical evacuation but not trip cancellation. The downside is if you need to pay any of the bills up front (they do pay directly in some cases), they are secondary coverage. So before they process reimbursement, they need a copy of the statements or denial from your primary insurer.

You can purchase their policies directly or through many of the online brokers.

Unless this was a case where the patient requested the airlift against the decision of the ship's doctor, I have never heard of anyone being charged for a medevac from a ship. The national agencies around the world that perform search and rescue operations (under which the medevac is handled), do this for no charge. Even some countries which have privatized their SAR functions, provide the service to the patient free of charge. The only time I can think that this would be the case, would be if the patient hired a medevac helicopter privately, and then there would be the question of the training of the flight crew in landing or winching a patient off a ship, and whether the Captain, in consultation with the doctor and corporate, would permit this to happen, as this could be a serious insurance liability.

Thanks Chief, i always learn something new from all your posts. I knew USCG didn’t charge but I never thought that applied everywhere. Appreciate your expertise!

I'm trying to price insurance and determine what is needed for good medical evacuation coverage. I'm comparing two quotes, and one would provide 500k and the other is for 1 million. Now while I hope I never have to find out what a medical evacuation costs, I don't know the going rate. This would be coverage for a Caribbean cruise, if that helps any. All other benefits of the plans set aside, do you think the 500k would provide enough coverage? A 500k difference in coverage is the difference of only about $44 total between the two plans, but I thought I'd ask to be more informed.

Thanks! :)

I first heard about trip insurance store.com on CC

I’ve used hem several times and have been happy.

You can compare different policies on their website easily

Have you looked at Medijet Assist . They sell an annual plan that will medivac you home from anywhere in the world to a hospital of your choice.

Just be careful, while great for repatriating you back home this will not cover an evacuation from the ship. So this would be a great supplemental policy.

This. MedJet will only kick in once you've been admitted to a hospital. The big benefit though, compared to many other policies, is that once you have been admitted, YOU decide both IF you want to be medevac'd somewhere else, and WHERE you want to taken. Other policies often leave these decisions in the hands of the doctor treating you, which means you could end up somewhere that they "think" they can treat and even though you believe you'd get better care elsewhere, you don't get to decide that. With MedJet Assist you do.