We have to pay for a show?! (Cirque)

ELA

So it appears that to see a cirque show we need to pay. Is it in addition to another show that night? Does it sell out? I get it - it’s Cirque but still paying for a show on a cruise feels strange

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

<snip> still paying for a show on a cruise feels strange

You don't have to pay for all shows, but this one, you do. You get served a 3 course menu which is followed by a cirque type show. As another poster said, you will be hungry after and the food isn't even that good. If you've seen the real "Cirque" shows, then I would pass on this one. I saw it on the Getaway a few months ago and I wished I would have saved my money.

You don't have to pay for all shows, but this one, you do. You get served a 3 course menu which is followed by a cirque type show. As another poster said, you will be hungry after and the food isn't even that good. If you've seen the real "Cirque" shows, then I would pass on this one. I saw it on the Getaway a few months ago and I wished I would have saved my money.

Sorry you did not enjoy the evening. I saw it in March and the show was wonderful and dinner was even better.

The show is amazing. It's not like the Vegas Cirque shows so if you are expecting large scale acrobatic performance this is not it. The performers are amazingly skilled in the Cirque style of acrobatic performance. I would say it is probably the best show I have ever seen on a cruise ship (more than 20 cruises). It's definitely worth the $30.

Its organized like a typical dinner theater in long dining tables to maximize occupancy and should be expected. The seating arrangement doesn't bother most people at all I don't think. You sit down, the lights dim, the food gets served right away and the show starts. You aren't making small talk with your dining mates, you're quietly watching the show. I cannot recommend this show enough.

The show is amazing. It's not like the Vegas Cirque shows so if you are expecting large scale acrobatic performance this is not it. The performers are amazingly skilled in the Cirque style of acrobatic performance. I would say it is probably the best show I have ever seen on a cruise ship (more than 20 cruises). It's definitely worth the $30.

Its organized like a typical dinner theater in long dining tables to maximize occupancy and should be expected. The seating arrangement doesn't bother most people at all I don't think. You sit down, the lights dim, the food gets served right away and the show starts. You aren't making small talk with your dining mates, you're quietly watching the show. I cannot recommend this show enough.

This is very well stated. I agree, best show I've ever seen on a cruise ship and worth the $30.

What does worry me is I wonder if this is similar to the first premium (extra charge) restaurant. Start with just one venue, see how it goes, and pretty soon, all the good shows are an extra charge. NCL already has the "reservation" process in place, it would be very easy to start charging for shows. Then, just like the restaurants, good food/shows are an extra cost, mediocre food/shows are free.

This is very well stated. I agree, best show I've ever seen on a cruise ship and worth the $30.

What does worry me is I wonder if this is similar to the first premium (extra charge) restaurant. Start with just one venue, see how it goes, and pretty soon, all the good shows are an extra charge. NCL already has the "reservation" process in place, it would be very easy to start charging for shows. Then, just like the restaurants, good food/shows are an extra cost, mediocre food/shows are free.

Well, it’s been around over 7 years already, it very popular, and there is still mostly free entertainment.

I liked it too but did not enjoy having to sit with strange people.

Thats a really shame. When my wife and I sail its usually just the two of us. On our last few sailings we have been asked at dinner if we mind sharing a table with another couple. Not all, we have met people from Germany, England and from here in the US. Its usually a great dinner conversation

Thats a really shame. When my wife and I sail its usually just the two of us. On our last few sailings we have been asked at dinner if we mind sharing a table with another couple. Not all, we have met people from Germany, England and from here in the US. Its usually a great dinner conversation

Why is it a shame? I'm not into that. Have met some great people on cruises that we totally vibed with, and some creepy jerk offs that ruined a wine tasting or two, and some folks who appeared to be swingers looking for their prey at a bar. So it's the word "usually" that I don't like. Because there can always be a bad experience. Besides I'm not on vacation to meet people. I'm on vacation to relax and enjoy time with my BF.

Why is it a shame? I'm not into that. Have met some great people on cruises that we totally vibed with, and some creepy jerk offs that ruined a wine tasting or two, and some folks who appeared to be swingers looking for their prey at a bar. So it's the word "usually" that I don't like. Because there can always be a bad experience. Besides I'm not on vacation to meet people. I'm on vacation to relax and enjoy time with my BF.

THIS. My soon-to-be wife and I both work in professions where we have to make chitchat with strangers all day (Sales for her, Technical Support for me). When we go on a cruise, we can certainly make small talk if need be, but we mostly prefer to just be by ourselves and enjoy our time together. It's not a matter of thinking other people are weird or somehow lesser than us, but just preferring to not be "on" like we are in our regular lives.

Epic review of the show and food:

Food was good, probably the lowest tier of the paid dinners, but still good.

The show had two levels, ground had long tables and people got pulled from the audience to "assist." Balcony was at the same height as the air stuff and looked down on the main show, table was a shelf in front of the banister so everyone sat next to each other. A bit cramped but not badly. Very well done and entertaining show, no where near as good as a land based Cirque, but considering that they were performing their act on a ship that was moving pretty impressive performance.

I would say well worth the money.

This is silly. It has a fee because it is a small venue. If it was free, you'd have 80% of the ship that would try but wouldn't be able to see it. This is the same reason Vibe has a fee - because it limits the number of people.

This is silly. It has a fee because it is a small venue. If it was free, you'd have 80% of the ship that would try but wouldn't be able to see it.

I'm sorry, but your statement is beyond silly, it's ridiculous. Using your logic, Cagney's, et. al. have a fee because they are smaller dining rooms, not because they offer a superior product that NCL is using to increase its revenues. Got it.

This is the same reason Vibe has a fee - because it limits the number of people.
Another ridiculous statement. So what you are saying is that NCL went to the trouble of isolating part of its deck space and then charged a fee simply to limit the number of people in that space. I suppose you believe they donate that money to charity, after all, the only reason they collect it is to limit the number of people.

And if you were a frog in a pot, you would probably believe someone who told you the only reason they were heating the water was to keep other frogs out.

Let's check back in a couple years and see how many more shows you need to pay for. My prediction is the "name" acts in Headliners will be the next ones you need to pay to see.

Let's check back in a couple years and see how many more shows you need to pay for. My prediction is the "name" acts in Headliners will be the next ones you need to pay to see.

It’s been 7 years since they’ve been doing the Cirque dinner show on Epic. How many other shows have they started charging for since then? I think you have your answer.

We sort of feel the same way. It's hit or miss when being forced to share a show or dining table. This is why we never liked the old way of cruising when tables were shared and times were arranged etc. Fortunately, you could always ask for a table alone except for our Disney cruise...had to share a table on that one. But fortunately, our table mates were awesome...we had a great time with them. When dining one can engage in conversations but not during a show....so I'd prefer doing this show with just hubby and me.

So it appears that to see a cirque show we need to pay. Is it in addition to another show that night? Does it sell out? I get it - it’s Cirque but still paying for a show on a cruise feels strange

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL will nickle and dime you to death.