10:55 a.m. flight - Miami - cutting it close?

BostonGal35

If things go right you can make it but if they don't go right you can miss it.

Be sure to have boarding tickets printed out and yes be in the first group off the ship.

I am not into back up plans because often the day of the flights they are all booked.

Keith

What if you are not in a suite? We can carry our own luggage just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We carried our luggage off ourselves and were not in a suite.

BTW, I like your CC handle! Go Cats!

Have a backup plan in case but I would have no problem taking that flight. I took a 8:45 a.m. flight from FLL after getting off of the Epic. I wouldn't recommend doing that, however.

The Epic docks in Port Canaveral and FLL is Fort Lauderdale which is 190 miles from the Epic. Did you mean to say MCO which is Orlando?

Yesterday I debarked a different ship in Miami and even though self-debark was due to start at 6:30 there were no agents. At 7:30 they called high tier cruisers but just moved us to the terminal. Finally at 8:30 they had 2 whole entire agents starting to process guests out. And we were among the first out. And we had our own luggage to walk out with, no collection needed. I think that is a somewhat abnormal experience from the regular, but issues can happen in Miami or any port, so if you are prepared to gamble on the early flight just have a back up plan

I took the 10:00 am flight a few weeks ago in Miami, and made it easily carrying all of my luggage off myself... The line began moving about 7:40, but they didn't let us into the terminal until exactly 8:00, I assume because of CBP schedules.

Have a backup plan in case but I would have no problem taking that flight. I took a 8:45 a.m. flight from FLL after getting off of the Epic. I wouldn't recommend doing that, however.

That doesn't seem possible (not that I'm doubting you) but with customs, the driving distance, airport lines, etc how did you do that? Did the Epic get in extra early?

Thx.

ship docks at 8am, we would have priority disembark as suite guests. do you think we can safely make a 10:55 a.m. flight from Miami if we are up and ready and do easy walk off?

I easily could make this flight. BUT, depends on you and how efficient you are, do you completely know procedures of airports?

Do you have back up plans, and know the details of the ticket you purchased? Do you know, what happens to that ticket if you miss the flight, do NOT assume it is going to have any value and not very likely you will get out the same day. Verify all this Before you get there. I fly multiple times every month- and unfortunately see "lost" people.

thanks for the feedback!

we are savvy fliers... we always do easy self walk off with our bags so usually we are off very early anyway. but knowing we can also get the perk of priority disembark as suite guests should expedite it further.

here's one other thought tho. will teh ship take longer to clear since its arriving in Miami from LA vs. a round trip from Miami?

That doesn't seem possible (not that I'm doubting you) but with customs, the driving distance, airport lines, etc how did you do that? Did the Epic get in extra early?

Thx.

This was a few years ago. Ship arrived early around 6 a.m. We walked off the ship with our carry ons at approximately 7:15 a.m. We jumped in a cab with a driver, who drove like a bat out of XXX, per my request. No lines at FLL, no bags to check and we were out of B3.

The hiccup why I wouldn't attempt this again was because U.S. customs and immigration officers did not start until closer to 8 a.m. We got to the gate at exactly 8:35 a.m., boarding had already ended and they were calling our name over the intercom. Last people to get on. Yes, we got on the flight, but I would not ever attempt it again.

You will be fine. I've done it many, many times. I always shoot for an 11am flight home.

In fact, you will be at the airport by 9am or 9:15am if you disembark with the suite passengers. You'll be first thru the line at immigration and first to the taxi line. You will be wisked away and the first cruise passengers to the Miami airport. I have TSA precheck but even if you don't, still you will be fine because you will beat all the other Miami cruise passengers at large to the airport.

You will be very thankful you booked that flight. As you're boarding your flight, you'll think about all of the other passengers who have to hang out at the airport waiting on their 2:30pm flight! Now that sucks!

Don't let others get you nervous.

We just got off the Escape a few weeks ago, and we made our 10:28 am flight out of Miami with no problems. This was the first time we did the self disembarkation, and guest services told us that people start lining up at 7:30 to get off. We were in line at 7:30, off the ship and through customs by 7:50. We were a little nervous that we might miss our flight when American moved the flight time up, but we worried for nothing. The other thing is, like one of the earlier posts, if you know airport procedures - especially Miami's, then you most likely don't need to worry. What helped us was being TSA precheck. The normal security lines were kind of long - there was absolutely nobody in the TSA Precheck.

It's naive thinking, that the OP will be "fine". They are coming from LA which can slow up the process. With walk off, there is no priority. The "priority" perk is for offloaded luggage and the yellow tags. So, don't think you'll just waltz through with no lines. You won't know until you get there- IF you are on a ship with a boatload of early people - all wanting off the ship. It can and does happen. There also are numerous claims above- that aren't addressing the port time- which is 8am- just because you got off at 7 doesn't mean the OP will. Yes ships can come in early- BUT,, "early" won't be known until THAT day- and if late- the time is gone.

The OP doesn't mention if they have Precheck. That makes a significant difference. Reports of "savvy" travelers also runs the gamete. If your not traveling several times per month, you probably will be slower. .

Again- most important- KNOW your ticket policy for missed flights, have phone numbers handy and call. Know- next flight schedules, along with all connecting options (again, most people don't) When you can list off possibilities, to an agent, you move way ahead in the search and find. Have a back up overnight plan, don't expect to get out the same day.

ship docks at 8am, we would have priority disembark as suite guests. do you think we can safely make a 10:55 a.m. flight from Miami if we are up and ready and do easy walk off?

It is quiet possible that you make the flight, but you will likely be cutting it close, especially if the ship is delayed.