Grand Cayman / Carnival tender help

mickeychicky

Never been to Grand Cayman and have never sailed Carnival so not sure how tendering differs then RCCL.

Is it a "free for all" when getting off the boat? Or is it organized?

We arrive in GC at 8am (supposedly as per the schedule), however, all the private excursions I am interested in begin at 9am (ship time will be the same time on GC at time of sailing, so no time difference to deal with).

Will we even make excursion departure time @ 9am if I book something?

TIA:)

Never been to Grand Cayman and have never sailed Carnival so not sure how tendering differs then RCCL.

We arrive in GC at 8am (supposedly as per the schedule), however, all the private excursions I am interested in begin at 9am (ship time will be the same time on GC at time of sailing, so no time difference to deal with).

If you don't have FTTF just get in line early. I didn't have it the last time and I was on the first tender boat out with people who had FTTF. It's only about a 5- 10 minute ride on the tender to GC. I think you will be fine.

I do know that FTTF and Carnival excursions get preference in getting off the boat so you may have to speak to your excursion provider to get their take. I would bet that they know the score, so they will be understanding if you are later getting off the boat. Wouldn't look good to leave paying customers who missed the departure through no fault of their own. People talk.

It is very organized!! Not sure how any ship could have a free for all with people running to get onto tenders?? True that people with FTTF and folks with Carnival excursions will go first. After that the other folks line up to get tender tickets with group numbers on them. When the number is called for your ticket you go to the tenders. I'd e mail the private tour providers to see what they say about waiting for you.

When you by your ticket, it will be printed on the ticket where and when to be in the lounge. Go early a bit to make sure you let the crew of what excursion you have. They will tell you where to sit until they call for your group to go to the tenders. Follow the line of people.

As others have said here. Go to boarding area early. Before the time listed in the FunTimes for non ship excursion folks to meet.

Tender ride is short, under 5 minutes. As a non ship sponsored excursion your tour providers will most likely be waiting on others from either your ship or other ships.

Don't panic. They'll wait. Or you might get there on time and others not, so you'll wait.

• Like 1

Tender ride is short, under 5 minutes. As a non ship sponsored excursion your tour providers will most likely be waiting on others from either your ship or other ships.

Tender ride length depends on how far out your ship is anchored.

The longest ride I ever had in Grand Cayman was 15 minutes.

I don't do cruise ship excursions....so that wouldn't apply. I do local/private.

What is FTTF????

Faster To The Fun. It's something you can buy online under excursions from the home port. Your room will be ready when you arrive, your luggage should get there faster, you have a separate line at guest services, get on tender ahead of people without FTTF and people who have not booked a ship excursion, and get to disembark faster. A lot of people think it's worth the money but for me personally it's not. Just board a little later and room will be ready anyway or board early and just explore ship and eat until it is, go to guest services when there is no line or at least a short one, get in line early for tenders and if you want to disembark early just carry off your luggage and you will be with the first groups to get off.

• Like 1

The daily activity sheet is called The Fun Times. The night before Grand Cayman, there will be instructions in The Fun Times as to when and where passengers, who do not have priority tendering, can go to get numbered stickers. Each passenger in the party needs a numbered sticker. These numbers are how passengers are called to board the tenders. Obviously, the lower the number, the quicker you'll get off the ship. Also note that each tender holds about 250 passengers.

When we used to need the numbered stickers, we learned to go to the venue listed in The Fun Times as soon as we saw the port way out in the horizon. (Yes, it was early and sometimes barely sunrise.) More times than not crew members began handing out the numbered stickers before the listed times. Other times, we were amongst the first few in line waiting for the crew members to hand out the numbered stickers.

Another option is to befriend people who have priority tendering. Each Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF is allowed to bring five non-priority passengers on tenders with them.

Out of curiosity, which excursion did you book?

Have a great cruise!

The daily activity sheet is called The Fun Times. The night before Grand Cayman, there will be instructions in The Fun Times as to when and where passengers, who do not have priority tendering, can go to get numbered stickers. Each passenger in the party needs a numbered sticker. These numbers are how passengers are called to board the tenders. Obviously, the lower the number, the quicker you'll get off the ship. Also note that each tender holds about 250 passengers.

When we used to need the numbered stickers, we learned to go to the venue listed in The Fun Times as soon as we saw the port way out in the horizon. (Yes, it was early and sometimes barely sunrise.) More times than not crew members began handing out the numbered stickers before the listed times. Other times, we were amongst the first few in line waiting for the crew members to hand out the numbered stickers.

Another option is to befriend people who have priority tendering. Each Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF is allowed to bring five non-priority passengers on tenders with them.

Out of curiosity, which excursion did you book?

Have a great cruise!

Was looking at the Stingray excursion, but not sure about water temps in December. And then the other option was the Rum Distillary/Brewary tours also thru Viator. Carnival does offer the Stingray excursion but its only 2.5 hours for $50 with some pretty bad reviews, and then the private companies are 4 hours for less $$.

Having a real hard time finding local tour companies instead of going thru 3rd party people that is affordable.

Water temps in December are usually around 80 degrees F. Air temp can be in upper 70s, low 80s.

What happens on many islands in Caribbean is that larger excursion providers will swing with cruiselines as they can get passengers quickly. Harder for smaller companies to efficiently market themselves. Thus firms like Island Marketing, Viator, Shore Excursions all play role in getting customers for smaller vendors. Additionally, these 3rd party marketing companies assist in handling reservations and money, which might be a problem for smaller operators. And finally, if an operator isn't up to speed, the 3rd party folks know and can drop while adding on another vendor.

Was looking at the Stingray excursion, but not sure about water temps in December. And then the other option was the Rum Distillary/Brewary tours also thru Viator. Carnival does offer the Stingray excursion but its only 2.5 hours for $50 with some pretty bad reviews, and then the private companies are 4 hours for less $$.

Having a real hard time finding local tour companies instead of going thru 3rd party people that is affordable.

While we have not cruised in December, we have cruised in other winter months. The ocean was always beautiful temp for swimming.

May I suggest Captain Marvin's for Stingray City. It's a very reputable company that offers fantastic excursions. Look them up on TripAdvisor. There is no need to go through a third party, like Viator.

I also suggest looking at posts in the Ports of Call section of CC.

While we have not cruised in December, we have cruised in other winter months. The ocean was always beautiful temp for swimming.

May I suggest Captain Marvin's for Stingray City. It's a very reputable company that offers fantastic excursions. Look them up on TripAdvisor. There is no need to go through a third party, like Viator.

I also suggest looking at posts in the Ports of Call section of CC.

I did research his tours also. I just worry about getting to the Waterfront Centre meeting place by 8:30am for the one 2 Stop Stingray Snorkel Tour I checked in to.

In the afternoon, as folks are heading back to the ship, the tenders run non stop and most are not completely full. This is a fun time to ride the tenders back and forth a few times. It's refreshing and a favorite thing of ours to do. Just don't get off at the ship, ride back to the dock. Then jump on the fullest tender at dock and ride it again.

• Like 1

No need for 3rd party vendors in Grand Cayman!!

I used these folks for snorkel and sting ray and they were wonderful!!

https://www.captainmarvins.com/

The ship anchored in a different spot than the usual one so the tenders came ashore in a different area but Capt. Marvin's people knew of the change and were there to meet us.

I did research his tours also. I just worry about getting to the Waterfront Centre meeting place by 8:30am for the one 2 Stop Stingray Snorkel Tour I checked in to.

Contact Captain Marvin's with your concerns. Tour companies know ships' schedules and are aware of how long debarkation can take.

Cruise passenger inquiries

Weekdays 10 AM until 3 PM EST

Closed on weekends

Phone: 1-345-945-7306 / 1-507-721-3046 / 1-507-721-0765

Fax: 1-345-949-2411

Email: captainmemailblue.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On 8/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, stargate fan said:

Is this correct that FTTF can bring guests? I know platinum and diamond can, but never heard FTTF mentioned before.

Does anyone know how FTTF priority tender is currently working on the Horizon?

Edited by goofygal531

24 minutes ago, goofygal531 said:

Is this correct that FTTF can bring guests? I know platinum and diamond can, but never heard FTTF mentioned before.

Does anyone know how FTTF priority tender is currently working on the Horizon?

FTTF allows you to take all guests staying in your cabin with you registered to that room. Other guests are not permitted. They want them to purchase the privilege as well.  

Edited by sanmarcosman

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:26 PM, sanmarcosman said:

FTTF allows you to take all guests staying in your cabin with you registered to that room. Other guests are not permitted. They want them to purchase the privilege as well.  

4 of us had FTTF, 8 total in our group. They let all 8 on the FTTF priority tender last week. 

12 minutes ago, goofygal531 said:

4 of us had FTTF, 8 total in our group. They let all 8 on the FTTF priority tender last week. 

If the other four shared cabins with you that's how it's supposed to work. If they are strangers you met on the cruise they lucked out.