Princess - what does Gold member mean?

buckomedia

My wife and me are about to go on the Caribbean Princess for the second time. The cruise line say we are now Gold members rather than Blue members ...in reality what difference does this make? Any replies gratefully received. Thanks Andy

It means you have reached the Gold level of the Captain's Circle Program. This program is intended to reward passengers for repeated sailings on Princess ships. At the Gold level, you will be invited to the Captain's Circle cocktail party. In reality, at this level there are no real benefits.

The next level is Platinum. To reach this you must complete 5 cruises or 50 days on Princess ships. The main benefits at this level are priority embarkation and a debarkation lounge and an internet credit. The amount of the credit depends on the length of the cruise.

They handed out drink coupons at the Gold Captain's Circle event on our past cruise (saved me ~$25 since I used 'em for 2 martinis). We were all seated in the main theater, got a short info blurb about the history of the cruise line and a bit of a description about some of the cool stuff on Royal (since she'll be taking over the itin we were on for 2013), then were handed drink coupons as we exited the lounge and headed to the Capt's welcome and champagne waterfall thingy.

I think the most valuable benefit is that you're now a bit more experienced about how things work with Princess. You also might have gotten a small discount and possibly a small OBC as a returning guest.

All blue card members must salute you. However we must still grovel at the feet of any elite card holders. Other than that it’s like spilling coffee on a dark suit. You get a warm feeling but no one notices.

LOL! Love it!

Denise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gold means that you have sailed at least once on Princess but I think less than 6 time. After 6 you become Platinum.

After 5.

Gold will be the color on cruises 2 to 5 unless you have more than 50 cruise days with Princess at the start of the cruise.

Edited by caribill

After 5.

Gold will be the color on cruises 2 to 5 unless you have more than 50 cruise days with Princess at the start of the cruise.

Yep, it's five. We got our magical silvery cards on Wednesday. Hoping that by the time we sail again (whenever that is), the Internet credit is still available.

• 5 years later...

My husband and I are Gold Members but our Children are not and they will be traveling with us. Does anyone know if they will exclude them from the events? Are they things kids would even want to go to? I would like to go if I would get free drink coupons like the one person mentioned. ;)

After 5.

Isn't there a RUBY in the mix now? I think 3 to 5. And if I remember correctly Ruby gets you the discount on the Insurance?

You should get a "Welcome back" from staff at the check-in counter when boarding and a past passenger discount on cruises if you book early enough. $100 on shorter cruises and we did get a past passenger discount of $200 (that's each) for a 37 day cruise.

Something is better than nothing.

Enjoy working your way up to black.

Go to the Princess site and check the price on a cruise. Then login and check the same cruise again. It should be $100 per person less. That's a tangible benefit of your Gold status. The free drink is nice as well. The post above regarding Ruby level and the free upgrade to Platinum Vacation Protection is accurate. If you purchase the Princess insurance it's a good perk to have that upgrade. As others have stated Platinum is where it gets a lot better. Priority embarkation (sometimes doesn't really help at all) and complimentary Internet minutes. The amount of Internet time is dependent on the length of the cruise.

7 days or fewer 150 minutes

8-20 days 250 minutes

21+ days 500 minutes

At Platinum you will also be able to attend the Platinum/Suite/Elite "affair" each evening. That provides one with special food (usually not real impressive) and a discounted drink from a selection of (not really enticing) drinks. We do, however, enjoy the better disembarkation lounge. It's nice to take the last disembarkation time, enjoy breakfast, then sit in Club Fusion where they provide water, OJ, coffee, and tea. This last time we snagged two splits of champagne the last night of the cruise and sipped Mimosas while sitting in the disembarkation lounge. Soooooooo much nicer that where all the people were sitting in the hallway near Explorers and the photo gallery waiting to disembark.

All blue card members must salute you. However we must still grovel at the feet of any elite card holders. Other than that it’s like spilling coffee on a dark suit. You get a warm feeling but no one notices.

I love this answer the best being a Elite member...:D Just kidding but it is a good answer...:')

Tony

Blue - most are happy not blue.

Gold - think pyrite. Not worth much

Ruby - you spilled some blood, but still don’t get much.

Platinum - finally you get something, it’s kind of shiny.

Black - you own the ship. Like Blackbeard, you’re a pirate, you get everything you can take.